• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SCDF Sleeping On The Job, Accident Waiting To Happen @ Paragon

sgnewsalte

Alfrescian
Loyal
SCDF senior officers also on 5 weeks holiday cooking trip to Paris?
:rolleyes:

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CNbMR8pcjEk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CNbMR8pcjEk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks to the Internet, it shows yet again that the BEST PAID govt in the world is no better than a bunch of leegally corrupt jiat liao bees and chor boh lans!

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks to the Internet, it shows yet again that the BEST PAID govt in the world is no better than a bunch of leegally corrupt jiat liao bees and chor boh lans!

Simple gahman mentality, you don't leeport, gahmen assume all is well. And the joke is the onus is on the citizen to leeport to the gahmen any dangers or accidents.

It really makes you wonder why they are paid so much and doing so little.
Where's their sense of pro-activeness.

Old yellow really sleeping in the job ! Can anyone wake this bugger up.:cool:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simple gahman mentality, you don't leeport, gahmen assume all is well. And the joke is the onus is on the citizen to leeport to the gahmen any dangers or accidents.

It really makes you wonder why they are paid so much and doing so little.
Where's their sense of pro-activeness.

Old yellow really sleeping in the job ! Can anyone wake this bugger up.:cool:

Well, please do not let one wrong lead to another, i.e. just because you think they should do more because they are paid highly (and I think they should) does not mean that citizens need not be expected to report dangers when the dangers are noticed.

And in my experience the SCDF have been quite quick to respond to reports. Once, I reported what I believed to be a leak in an acetylene tank and in 10 mins, a fire engine, a red rhino and a patrol car came. The commander asked where I thought the leak was and then brought men to check it.

Once he confirmed the leak, other firemen and the cops fanned out to the estate telling people not to light fires while they capped the leak. Another group also attached a attached a hose to a hydrant in case a fire broke out. Fortunately it did not and the leak was capped in about 15 mins.

I'm not in any way condoning the ministers' obscene pay - I'm just saying:
  • that citizenship has its responsibilities - helping the uniformed services protect ourselves is one of them
  • that just because the ministers piss us off (and I am pissed off) that we should denigrate our emergency response services even when most times they have performed.

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, please do not let one wrong lead to another, i.e. just because you think they should do more because they are paid highly (and I think they should) does not mean that citizens need not be expected to report dangers when the dangers are noticed.

And in my experience the SCDF have been quite quick to respond to reports. Once, I reported what I believed to be a leak in an acetylene tank and in 10 mins, a fire engine, a red rhino and a patrol car came. The commander asked where I thought the leak was and then brought men to check it.

Once he confirmed the leak, other firemen and the cops fanned out to the estate telling people not to light fires while they capped the leak. Another group also attached a attached a hose to a hydrant in case a fire broke out. Fortunately it did not and the leak was capped in about 15 mins.

I'm not in any way condoning the ministers' obscene pay - I'm just saying:
  • that citizenship has its responsibilities - helping the uniformed services protect ourselves is one of them
  • that just because the ministers piss us off (and I am pissed off) that we should denigrate our emergency response services even when most times they have performed.

Good that you had a positive experience with SCDF over your incident. Perhaps they assessed and made a good judgement call and dealt swiftly on it. For Emergency Services, they are reliable

For commercial buildings, there should be checks by SCDF inspectors. What was shown on Youtube indicates that the dangers has been there for a while and nobody gave a hoot to it. And the lack of proactiveness of SCDF.

If you have a chance to read the Singapore Fire Code. There is one section which is completely baffling on explosive accidents. It states that in the event of Explosive accidents/fire , the POLICE are to deal with it. It makes you wonder which jokers draft up the codes.

Citizen's responsibility in reporting has its limitations in this society. You can be a good samaritian , but it serves no purpose when the expected response is way too long to be effective for some services.

I gave up calling the police long ago when my previous neighbourhood was filled with unsavoury characters and incidents. In one case, the car park was filled with young punks assembling in groups. One was carrying a small axe and moving around.

After calling the NPP on the dangers, it took them an hour to respond . By then, all have left. It was an illegal assembly no doubt. Nowadays I understand if you have an assault case with no puncture injuries, the police are not going to attend to you.

Also, in the next few days is the anniversary of Mas Selamat great escape. The local media has been keeping mum about it.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are absolutely right to say that where there is callousness, negligence or gross incompetence, we should expose them.

For this particular case, I just was not sure that the SCDF was squarely to blame. Yes, they should and do conduct regular checks - I just do not expect them to be everywhere. In this case then the person who discovered it ought to report it.

I too have experienced slow and incompetent responses from the police, and these are unforgiveable given the material and human responses the police have. And we need to highlight them.

And yes, let us commemorate 27 Feb as the day the mighty ISD / SPF / GC took all of us for a ride.

Please just do not tar all uniformed personnel with the same brush.

Good that you had a positive experience with SCDF over your incident. Perhaps they assessed and made a good judgement call and dealt swiftly on it. For Emergency Services, they are reliable

For commercial buildings, there should be checks by SCDF inspectors. ...