• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP Spin - Sinkapore better than Australia

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Australia's loss is S'pore's gain

Jaira Koh
The Business Times
Monday, Jun 02, 2014

An "accident", is how Casa Italia chief executive Phippo Hardegger describes founding his gelato company here.

Unable to secure an Australian visa, the Swiss was persuaded by a friend to come to Singapore instead.

"Everything is so clearly regulated, people keep to their contracts, and you have pretty much no corruption here," he says. Previously named Gelateria Italia, the firm has opened 15 stores within three years.

While there are no official statistics tracking the population of foreign entrepreneurs here, a number of them are on the EntrePass scheme, which permits them to start businesses here.

According to the Ministry of Manpower, the number of EntrePass holders fell 23.1 per cent, from 1,300 in 2012 to 1,000 last year, but some observers feel it is the quality and not the quantity of these entrepreneurs that matters.

"The number is not the issue. The issues are the quality of the business, its leadership and its value to Singapore," said Victor Mills, acting chief executive of the Singapore International Chamber of Commerce. "Singapore looks for quality, not quantity."

MOM revised EntrePass requirements in September to ensure it attracts "foreign entrepreneurs who can inject innovation and vibrancy into Singapore's business scene", said an MOM spokesman.

Most EntrePass holders operate in commerce or finance and business services. Last year saw 2,000 EntrePass applications and, as has been the case since 2003, half were approved.

Insead professor of entrepreneurship Philip Anderson reckons, however, that "the most logical explanation is simple economics - Singapore is expensive. If the cost of living continues to rise, we will probably see a shift in foreign entrepreneurs".

Hiroshi Tatara, who founded Japanese food group RE&S here in 1988, also sees Singapore as an ideal "showcase" for presenting a business to potential partners.

Twelve million tourists a year visiting such a "small territory" means good exposure to partners interested in expanding a concept regionally, he said.

Scaling up and reaching global markets is the challenge for Singapore-based businesses, says Wong Poh Kam, director of the National University of Singapore Entrepreneurship Centre.

In this respect, he believes businesses run by foreign entrepreneurs knowledgeable about their home market may actually have an advantage over companies managed mainly by locals.

He expects foreign entrepreneurship here to rise. "Asia is driving global economic growth, so entrepreneurs here are in the right place at the right time."

[email protected]

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Australia's loss? Who is kidding who.
Australia has the best gelato, olive oil and pizzas than its birth country, Italy.
This Italian Swiss can stay in Singapore.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
any angmo food will sell in sg. my jaws dropped when i saw krispy kreme and dunkin donuts opening stores in orchard. :eek:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Amoungst Ice Cream to me the best is Hagan Daz,,,even better than Ben & Jerrys, since I never been to WOG Land I cant comment on how good the pizza is compared to Oz,,,however I do know in Wogland most of the pizza makers are now Turks as no WOG wants to be a pizza maker,,,

Australia's loss? Who is kidding who.
Australia has the best gelato, olive oil and pizzas than its birth country, Italy.
This Italian Swiss can stay in Singapore.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
According to the Ministry of Manpower, the number of EntrePass holders fell 23.1 per cent, from 1,300 in 2012 to 1,000 last year.

It is really pathetic ...we have one of the lowest tax rates - corporate and business - in the world. And so few want to come over to set up business. Instead, we have millions want to come here and work.

This is proof that sinkapore has a major problem ...it does not have the necessary woo factors to attract business to set up here. This means employment will not grow much. The only way to create jobs for sinkees is to kick the foreigners out.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Amoungst Ice Cream to me the best is Hagan Daz,,,even better than Ben & Jerrys, since I never been to WOG Land I cant comment on how good the pizza is compared to Oz,,,however I do know in Wogland most of the pizza makers are now Turks as no WOG wants to be a pizza maker,,,

the best in sf....

http://www.humphryslocombe.com/www.humphryslocombe.com/Home.html

my favorite is the gelato shop on castro in mountain view....reminds me of the gelato shop at the bellagio in Vegas....

http://mountainview.patch.com/listings/gelato-classico-italian-ice-cream

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
any angmo food will sell in sg. my jaws dropped when i saw krispy kreme and dunkin donuts opening stores in orchard. :eek:

turn out the krispy kreme was a flop,at the beginning the queue stretched over 100m with ushers to keep order,now theres barely 1 or 2 people at the counter.

i tried the damn thing it really sucks as bad as in australia.....everything taste the same sugary tasteless dough confection.....damn thing is not even worth buying at a convinence store...

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
turn out the krispy kreme was a flop,at the beginning the queue stretched over 100m with ushers to keep order,now theres barely 1 or 2 people at the counter.

i tried the damn thing it really sucks as bad as in australia.....everything taste the same sugary tasteless dough confection.....damn thing is not even worth buying at a convinence store...

Vincent Tan owns the rights in sinkapore and mudland. You are supporting UMNO indirectly when you eat krispy kreme.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is really pathetic ...we have one of the lowest tax rates - corporate and business - in the world. And so few want to come over to set up business. Instead, we have millions want to come here and work.

This is proof that sinkapore has a major problem ...it does not have the necessary woo factors to attract business to set up here. This means employment will not grow much. The only way to create jobs for sinkees is to kick the foreigners out.

Oh yes, since we have had the lowest tax rate and the most business friendly enviornment, why are the rich business man not fort coming to open up business here ? INstead, why are people rushing here to find work ? Reason is because we are so open that ANY ONE who is willing can work here.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

krispy kreme sucks like shit. as usual, sinkies will queue up when there's a new joint in town. after tasting shit on the 1st try, they will quietly disappear. american donut franchises need to tone down on the sugar.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You will bring Panera Bread to sinkapore?

forget it. bread, pastry, bagel and any bakery business is tough. baked goods don't last long, there's much wastage, and you need to dispose of them by late evening. unlike breadthtalkcock, which can conveniently pass over stale bread to toastybollocks, which can mask the staleness by toasting the bread to a crisp for unsuspecting sinkies the next morning. :p

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I had Krispy Kreme in Pinoyland,,not that good,,,guess their quality control is not consistent...

krispy kreme sucks like shit. as usual, sinkies will queue up when there's a new joint in town. after tasting shit on the 1st try, they will quietly disappear. american donut franchises need to tone down on the sugar.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Never even eaten it in sinkie land nor the US so obviously never lined up for it.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
forget it. bread, pastry, bagel and any bakery business is tough. baked goods don't last long, there's much wastage, and you need to dispose of them by late evening. unlike breadthtalkcock, which can conveniently pass over stale bread to toastybollocks, which can mask the staleness by toasting the bread to a crisp for unsuspecting sinkies the next morning. :p

So, you will bring "breadtalkcock" and "toastybollocks" to SF?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Few Years back one my kakis came back from the USA to set up his company in singkieland. He everyday eat breadtalk than and he said he do it as in the USA no bread talk, He actually enjoy it. I give my support more to the local HDB flat bakery...so to each his own lah