• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkies must make amends say sorry and find Pinoys alt place to celebrate Indep Day

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Almost had a heart attack this morning when I saw the SPH prostitute paper calling on Singaporeans to make amends, say sorry for the sorry episode and find the poor suffering Pinoys here an alternative venue to celebrate their country's Independence Day.

I straight away threw away the paper.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Sinkies must make amends say sorry and find Pinoys alt place to celebrate Indep D

how about back in the Philippines?

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Sinkies must make amends say sorry and find Pinoys alt place to celebrate Indep D

the phantom phone calls harassment, threats..wtf, turn victim now.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Almost had a heart attack this morning when I saw the SPH prostitute paper calling on Singaporeans to make amends, say sorry for the sorry episode and find the poor suffering Pinoys here an alternative venue to celebrate their country's Independence Day.

The article was likely written by another pinoy. SG belongs to Singaporeans. Why should sinkies apologise to foreigners for action taken to protect the sovereignty of their own country? The writer is really shit.

If pinoys not happy, go back home to celebrate.

Have stopped reading shitty times for many months now. Not worth the money at all to read rubbish and get heart palpitation.

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal

we can make amends by building a mini slum to make them feel right at home

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal

we can make amends by building a mini slum to make them feel right at home

Slums for pinoys in SG? What about slums too for ah nehs, Myanmarese, Thais, Vietnamese, etc? Might as well kick them out and keep SG modern and slums free.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

... saw the SPH prostitute paper calling on Singaporeans to make amends, say sorry for the sorry episode and find the poor suffering Pinoys here an alternative venue to celebrate their country's Independence Day ...
wtf! ...

iz ah loonz gahmen dat kowtow 2 dem n ask dem not 2 do it ... dey shud demand dat from ah loonz ...

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't understand why the event was cancelled. Everyone supported their decision to hold the event, including our PM. The xenophobic remarks are only made by a handful of vocal minorities self radicalized on the internet. There is no need to apologize. The pinoys should be the one to do so as they have wasted everyone's time with their antics.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

hold at geylang lor 11 or people's park.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't understand why the event was cancelled. Everyone supported their decision to hold the event, including our PM. The xenophobic remarks are only made by a handful of vocal minorities self radicalized on the internet. There is no need to apologize. The pinoys should be the one to do so as they have wasted everyone's time with their antics.
the farker pinkie realized that he could be sued for treason if the pinoy flies their flag.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Uh .....what do the Pinoys have to celebrate? And about Pinoy pride... Pride in what?

When i was in pinoyland 2 mths back..went c movie with a Pinay...and they played the national anthem..many pinoys stood up etc..my pinay gal never even bother.

The national anthem had a video of pinoy development.. Like new buildings n factories etc..but once u leave the mall..reality sets in...talk about fact vs fiction.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

dun worry about the KPKB part

now will pinkie tell you he got a stand? or a policy shift?

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal

hahaha....someone called the ST, the prostitute paper.....
but quietly he subscribed to the paper (maybe he will deny)...this is like kio kway everyday...
truly retarded.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bertha Henson in full glory

JOURNALISM, RACISM, XENOPHOBIA
The flip side of the Filipino Day
In News Reports, Society, Writing on April 16, 2014 at 2:34 am
We all know that there are racists and xenophobes in Singapore, as there are in any society. The sane among us know not to add fuel to their fire. We do not encourage their sentiments – because we do not share them. Sometimes we ignore them because there is no way to change how they feel. And, of course, no one would acknowledge to being racist or xenophobic.

So when does racism and xenophobia become news?

I ask this because I was aghast to read the article, Filipino group gets online flak over event, published in The Straits Times today.

It said: Organisers of a plan to celebrate Philippine Independence Day here had to remove a Facebook post about the event, after it drew a storm of vitriol and protests from netizens.
The online response came as a shock, they said, though they still intend to proceed with the celebration on June 8 at Ngee Ann City’s Civic Plaza, pending approval of permits from the authorities.

A lot of things get “online flak’’, so when is “flak’’ so heavy that it deserves further magnification in The Straits Times? Well, it seems that the removal of a FB post about the event by the hapless organisers was enough to merit a piece of real estate in ST. It was prime estate as well, on page A8, not in the bowels of its Home section.

Note: The organisers weren’t compelled to stop the June event. They are still proceeding with it as soon as they get the licences. If they were bullied into stopping altogether, methinks it would be worth some newsprint space.
So perhaps the online flak itself is enough to merit a story?

The article continued:
The Pilipino Independence Day Council Singapore (PIDCS), a group of Filipino volunteers, put up a post on Facebook about the event last weekend and drew fire almost immediately.
Negative comments from Singaporeans flooded in, with Facebook page “Say ‘No’ to an overpopulated Singapore” urging locals to protest on the PIDCS page.

The page, which has 26,000 “likes”, is against the celebration of the Philippine Independence Day here and said that festivities should be confined to the Philippine Embassy compound.

It was the 26,000 “likes’’ that prompted me to check the particular page. I couldn’t believe that 26,000 would say no to the community holding an event here. We have that many xenophobes? If so, it is something worth reporting because there is something seriously wrong with Singapore society.
It turned out that the FB page has been set up way back when the White Paper on Population was still a hot issue. The page has all sorts of posts, including on the death of a wrestling star, the haze and the predictable pillorying of G leaders. It wasn’t a page that was dedicated to the event.

The post which called for the protest drew 300-plus likes – a more “respectable’’ number. In fact, it is a number which should not even bother any journalist. It is inconsequential in the scheme of “likes’’ in the internet space. So why does it even deserve newsprint space in the august ST?

Now, I am firmly against the protest. I think the arguments against the Filipinos holding its own day at Ngee Ann City in Orchard Road are narrow-minded.

The protesters said on the FB page that they are against three things:
a. We are against them using the Singapore skyline in their logo for their Philippine Independence Day logo & posters, Facebook page, websites, etc.

Why? They live and work here presumably, and we are the host country. Perhaps some people think it looks as though the Filipinos have taken over the country? And Singapore is the Philippines? Why such insecurity? I happen to think it’s a nice gesture to the host country. It should be the Filipinos back home who are aghast that their own national symbols aren’t used. Not us.

b. We are against them in using the terms “Two Nations” and “Inter-dependence” in their Philippine Independence Day celebration posters. Singapore only observe and celebrate our own National Day on the 9th of August and we DO NOT and WILL NOT have a joint-celebration of “Inter-dependence” with another sovereign state. Their event is insinuating a very serious and misleading assumption; which we Singaporeans have never endorsed.

Hmm….is there a communication problem here? Something lost in translation? Isn’t it good that the community recognises the inter-dependence of nations? I don’t think the Filipinos are calling for a joint celebration! Rather, more an invitation to Singaporeans to join them in their celebrations.

Its organiser was reported as saying in ST: “We are not saying that we are trying to take over. Our drive is to be part of the community and try to open up to other nationalities. Interdependence doesn’t mean Singaporeans depend on us, but that we all help each other.”

I agree. It seems to me that the protesters have misled themselves

c. We are against them in celebrating their country’s Independence on Singapore soil. We urge them, however, to do so in their own Embassy compound.

For crying out loud…By the way, the community has held similar celebrations in the past, in Hong Lim Park and Suntec City. Is Orchard Road so sacred? And what does it say about the country’s own celebration of Singapore Day around the world; we took a public garden in Sydney and more recently, spent $4m or so in London. So Singapore should stop its own celebrations on foreign soil and confine the activities only in the embassy compound? If the other countries reacted like these “protesters’’ did, then perhaps we should.

The so-called protest leaves a bad taste in the mouth. But then again, it’s a SMALL group, not some 26,000 or so as ST seemed to have implied.

Which brings me back to the question: What is the duty of care that MSM should exercise when publishing or broadcasting what goes on on the Internet? There will always be vitriol, even in pre-Internet days. But to have the MSM further magnify this (based on 300, not 26,000 likes) is downright bad reporting and bad judgment. If it was a question of numbers only – that is, so many thousands of people protesting – then it should take a look at the anti-STOMP petition and publish a story. The same rules must apply, even to itself.

What I cannot abide is how the article has given the impression to its much touted 1million readers or so that the entire Internet community is a bunch of rabid, raving xenophobes. I wouldn’t put it past some politician to refer to this as an example of the terrible nature of the community.

Now I certainly hope the authorities aren’t going to get cold feet and deny the licences to the organisers because of this and cite “security and law and order considerations ’’. I hope the Filipinos go ahead and organise the celebration. Just make sure you don’t riot or consume too much alcohol or litter or pee in the plaza.

This Singaporean wishes you a good Independence Day.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal

Not every Singaporean support Nazi policies!!

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

any sane human would stood up against holocaust and holeecuast

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

SPH reporters are giving journalism a bad name. why dun they prostitute themselves on craiglist or something, that will be more noble than this.