• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Whampoa Market & Food Centre to Close for 3 Months

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whampoa Mkt is also closed and Whampoa Food Centre (Whampoa SMC / Moulmein Kallang TC) will be closed for (presumably major) renovations for 3 months beginning 1 June 2014. During that time, there will be no alternative outlets for produce (except for the ubiquitous NTUC Fairprice, of course) and cooked food. Vendors are also not given compensation for the improvements they will enjoy.

This shows how much concern the TC has for the cleanliness and good order of the assets under its management. In positioning Fairprice to fill the gap while the market is closed, the PAPzi TC shows its empathy with the masses. And in refusing to pay compensation for loss of business, the TC shows itself not to want to use money unnecessarily.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This has been happening all over the island since the last decade and the modus operandi and end results are always the same. Rentals will increase, some of the old stallholders get pushed out of business because they can't keep up, a batch of newcomers will eventually take over, prices increase, residents are made to pay more ostensibly for better ambiance and hygiene. And yes, as TS has mentioned, no compensation for existing vendors who are affected (3 months no income), no alternatives for residents who need to rely on the wet market produce, loss of quality hawker food because some hawkers will be forced out by the higher rental costs when the new premises open.

Looks like my favourite chicken rice and hokkein mee (sorry I don't take rojak) at WFC will be gone forever.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whampoa Mkt is also closed and Whampoa Food Centre (Whampoa SMC / Moulmein Kallang TC) will be closed for (presumably major) renovations for 3 months beginning 1 June 2014. During that time, there will be no alternative outlets for produce (except for the ubiquitous NTUC Fairprice, of course) and cooked food. Vendors are also not given compensation for the improvements they will enjoy.

This shows how much concern the TC has for the cleanliness and good order of the assets under its management. In positioning Fairprice to fill the gap while the market is closed, the PAPzi TC shows its empathy with the masses. And in refusing to pay compensation for loss of business, the TC shows itself not to want to use money unnecessarily.

ntuc should sms all taxi drivers there is biz opportunity for hawker centre breakdown and driver all foodie to the nearest hawker center at changi.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
This has been happening all over the island since the last decade and the modus operandi and end results are always the same. Rentals will increase, some of the old stallholders get pushed out of business because they can't keep up, a batch of newcomers will eventually take over, prices increase, residents are made to pay more ostensibly for better ambiance and hygiene. And yes, as TS has mentioned, no compensation for existing vendors who are affected (3 months no income), no alternatives for residents who need to rely on the wet market produce, loss of quality hawker food because some hawkers will be forced out by the higher rental costs when the new premises open.

Looks like my favourite chicken rice and hokkein mee (sorry I don't take rojak) at WFC will be gone forever.

forget the food, you will be missing all the peidu mamasans loitering ard.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Realised its closure last week. Drove there at 5am. Wanted to makan the fishball noodles.

Was told the other also going to be renovated soon. Residents there can now only makan at the 4-5 kpts there.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I went down last Sunday thinking of eating the pomfret steamboat only to find the whole place hoarded up. I think there will be no more cheap steamboat when it reopen.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I went down last Sunday thinking of eating the pomfret steamboat only to find the whole place hoarded up. I think there will be no more cheap steamboat when it reopen.

Cheap and good. Long queues. At least 25% cheaper than Whampoa Keng. Tastes better too but no aircon. Same stall sells fishball noodles in the day. $2.50. Where to find.

Other bagus stalls include soya bean drink, Loy Kee chicken rice and prawn noodles.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My first experience of steamboat was at Whampoa in the early-mid 1980s. It was a family gathering with relatives.

currypuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
My favorite is the rojak stall besides duck rice. The stall owner displays a photo of him taken with Chow Yun-Fat.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whampoa hawkers will be fucked by the new rental when it reopens.

Another quality upgrading brought to you by the NEA. :wink:

I think NEA is not doing a good job in upgrading, the hawker centres despite years of upgrading are all still so stuffy. They should install ventilation system instead of just fans blowing hot air on the patrons. Instead they should install turbine ventilators I saw in Msia homes and in Spore factories. Look like this:
http://www.taika.com.my/products.html

Alternatively, NEA should air con the hawker centres and pay for it. Afterall the food prices at hawker centres are not that cheap nowadays. Prawn noodles at $3, increased from $2.50 last time.

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think NEA is not doing a good job in upgrading, the hawker centres despite years of upgrading are all still so stuffy. They should install ventilation system instead of just fans blowing hot air on the patrons. Instead they should install turbine ventilators I saw in Msia homes and in Spore factories. Look like this:
http://www.taika.com.my/products.html

Alternatively, NEA should air con the hawker centres and pay for it. Afterall the food prices at hawker centres are not that cheap nowadays. Prawn noodles at $3, increased from $2.50 last time.
Just build high ceiling simply solved the stuffy problem. Old buildings have very high ceiling.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just build high ceiling simply solved the stuffy problem. Old buildings have very high ceiling.

I think the hawker centre ceiling is quite high but all the hot air still trapped there. I see they only have exhaust pipe to connect above the stalls but not enough, the turbines on the roof can help to draw out the hot air better.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hawker centres should never, ever be air con. In fact, back in the day when the positions of tables were not fixed, customers can opt for additional tables to be placed in outdoors for al fresco dining.

The last thing we need is some food court wannabe, or another convenient excuse to increase prices or rental.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whampoa hawkers will be fucked by the new rental when it reopens.

Another quality upgrading brought to you by the NEA. :wink:

lianbeng replies: the other day i happened to be around tanjong pagar so decided to have lunch at the hawker centre! :biggrin: that was when i realized it has already been renovated! last time i used to eat char siew+sio bak+sio ark rice for $5 but this time $7 liao!