• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pinoys commissioned to tell Sinkie nation building story for Capitol re-opening!?!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LOL! PAP and their beloved pinoy pets' final spit in the face for all native sinkies... This country is finished!

Filipino team tells story of S'pore

20140426_sph_Singapura-the-musical-cast.jpg

<small class="clear">Monday, April 28, 2014 - 01:00
</small>Catherine Robert
The New Paper

A Filipino team will be at the helm of a musical on Singaporeans striving to build a nation.

The musical, planned for April next year, is to mark the re-opening of the iconic Capitol Theatre.

It promises to feature prominent moments in founding father Lee Kuan Yew's life and career as he helped shape Singapore pre-independence.

It is a worthy subject, especially since next year will be Singapore's 50th birthday.

Titled Singapura - The Musical, it will be helmed by a Filipino team from The 4th Wall Theatre Company, which is based in the Philippines.

But can a crew of foreigners authentically and accurately portray a Singapore story?

Singapura's Filipino director, Mr Loy Arcenas, is confident of pulling it off.

He was previously based in New York, where he worked on Broadway as a set designer for award-winning plays like Love! Valour! Compassion! and Once On This Island.

The 51-year-old told The New Paper at a preview event on Thursday: "I'm very aware of the worry that the public has about having a Filipino behind the construction of the musical.

"However, I do believe that if you aim for the heart and you strive hard enough to get there, it will happen and that's exactly what I plan to do."

The president of The 4th Wall Theatre Company, Mr Ed Gatchalian, added: "It was an idea that came to me after two Singaporean businessmen approached me after one of my plays ended in Manila in February 2012, and they (suggested we) do a story about Singapore.

"I have an admiration for Singapore's first Prime Minister, Mr Lee Kuan Yew, and that's basically what made me want to do this play even more."

He read the bestselling autobiography The Singapore Story: Memoirs of Lee Kuan Yew (Volume 1).

He said: "Singaporeans know the stories of politicians and what happened when it comes to history, but not many know exactly what life was like for regular Singaporeans, how they felt and what happened to them during that time. And that's what I plan to put on that stage next year."

COINCIDENCE

Mr Gatchalian, 71, clarified that his company was not commissioned or chosen by Capitol Theatre to stage Singapura for its relaunch.

He said: "We had already started work on the music aspect of the production and after 12 drafts, we finally settled on the plan that we have.

"We then started looking for a venue and it just so happened that we managed to organise for it to be held at Capitol Theatre."

Singapura's preview was performed at The Arts House at the Old Parliament building on Thursday by a temporary cast of about 20, comprising Singaporeans, Filipinos, Canadians and Americans.

The company will start casting for the show in August.

The musical - which is set in Singapore between 1955 and 1965 - will have more than 40 cast members, including Filipinos, Singaporeans and "possibly other nationalities", said Mr Arcenas.

The production will highlight Singapore's declaration of independence and the joining of the Federation of Malaya, and explore the two tumultuous years Singapore spent as part of Malaysia.

Mr Gatchalian said that more than 20 Singaporeans who were "around to experience the turmoil during that decade" were interviewed for research purposes.
Singapura is set to travel to London's West End and Broadway in New York following its Singapore debut.

"It is uncommon for a foreign production house to put forth a uniquely local storyline," said Mr Alvin Tan, artistic director of local theatre company The Necessary Stage.

"I wouldn't say it is impossible to do it well. If the company does their research well, they might be able to pull it off."

This article was published on April 26 in The New Paper.

Get The New Paper for more stories.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Pinoys commissioned to tell Sinkie nation building story for Capitol re-opening!?

Isn't that wonderful? Pinoys are claiming to be able to tell sinkapore history with the same level of passions as sinkees.

In 2020, we will have the first naturalized sinkee PM from Pinoyland, Mr. Estrada. The colonization of sinkapore by the Pinoys start now.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Pinoys commissioned to tell Sinkie nation building story for Capitol re-opening!?

Frankly, how many seats does the PAP want to lose in the next election?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think they are funneling out all the doughs. After the election, they will be out of the country enjoying the wealth of our country.
Mugabe could have offered them asylum.

Last edited:

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal

cheaper,faster ,better

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think they have gone from asking how many seats they will lose to asking how many they need to win now.
They opened the FT pandora's box. Even they cannot do much now.

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal

Proved one thing. Pinoys are superior to stinkees. We should send our females to be maids and pros.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Proved one thing. Pinoys are superior to stinkees. We should send our females to be maids and pros.

Proves nothing except discrimination against sinkees.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Shows how fucked up Sinkies are... they can't even tell their own story! :rolleyes:

I new fully understand the need to bring in more foreigners and quickly too.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Shows how fucked up Sinkies are... they can't even tell their own story! :rolleyes:

I new fully understand the need to bring in more foreigners and quickly too.

You got it all wrong ...sinkees can tell, but the government prefers foreigners to tell. After all the audience is the outside world mah, so the PAP thinks. The PAP thinks this could be a broadway or west end show.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You got it all wrong ...sinkees can tell, but the government prefers foreigners to tell. After all the audience is the outside world mah, so the PAP thinks. The PAP thinks this could be a broadway or west end show.

That's true,if this show was written by the native sinkies,it would be full of Singlish and terrible grammar and cornyass jokes and dialogue referencing phua chu kang and mark Lee or some 3rd rate talent.that's why we need to bring in some expertise in business English to make this a world class production.

Last edited:

Loeloe8

Alfrescian
Loyal

Peenoy slogan veni vidi vici

U SINKapore u tai ci, not my tai ci

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I like to see this musical take-off. I am certain the PAP will step in as you can't find a more politically damaging event to the government than this.

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal

Heard they are doing casting calls for different kinds of lizard to play gecko.
my bet is a komodo dragon will get the part.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's true,if this show was written by the native sinkies,it would be full of Singlish and terrible grammar and cornyass jokes and dialogue referencing phua chu kang and mark Lee or some 3rd rate talent.that's why we need to bring in some expertise in business English to make this a world class production.

Must be in singlish to make it authentic. No singlish, it is all fakery by FTsh, lah.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The LKY musical is nothing more than propaganda to shore up the Old Fart's legacy before he kicks the bucket.

The Tiongs had tried that before, with The East is Red.

However, I'm surprised that they would outsource it to the Pinoys. You would think one of the more prolific local gay playwrights would be in charge for making such an epic production. :wink:

Grace

Alfrescian
Loyal

No wonder, now they screened Kumar goes to school on your Primetime Ch.5.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This just tells me how politically insensitive the PAP is, all in the name of integration.
And no one dares to tell the emperor's son that he has no clothes?

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

............ feature prominent moments in .....Lee Kuan Yew's life and career......

Not sure if old man has approved the play but could they be hoping we will follow the Pinoys

................ Only in the Philippines could a leader like Ferdinand Marcos, who pillaged his country for over 20 years, still be considered for a national burial. ........his wife and children were allowed to return and engage in politics. They supported the winning presidential and congressional candidates with their considerable resources and reappeared in the political and social limelight after the 1998 election that returned President Joseph Estrada. General Fabian Ver,.....who had been in charge of security when Aquino was assassinated, had fled the Philippines together with Marcos in 1986. When he died in Bangkok, the Estrada government gave the general military honors at his burial. One Filipino newspaper, Today, wrote on 22 November 1998, “Ver, Marcos and the rest of the official family plunged the country into two decades of lies, torture, and plunder. Over the next decade, Marcos’s cronies and immediate family would tiptoe back into the country, one by one – always to the public’s revulsion and disgust, though they showed that there was nothing that hidden money and thick hides could not withstand.” .........

Quoted from Lee Kuan Yew on Filipinos and the Philippines, January 10, 2011

http://globalbalita.com/2011/01/10/lee-kuan-yew-on-filipinos-and-the-philippines/

Would paying yourselves many times more than the US President qualify as thick hides?

Last edited: