• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pasir-Ris-Punggol TC exploiting elderly in the name of community service?

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We refer to the article “New job scheme for retires in North East” (Straits Times, Apr 15).

Pay only $5 an hour

It states that “Participants of the Community Employment Programme for Active Agers are paid $5 an hour, for up to 10 hours a week.

They can work part-time as mobile library assistants, estate inspectors and residents’ committee centre assistants who do administrative work, among others.”

Lowest hourly pay in Singapore?

- We believe this may be the lowest hourly pay in Singapore now. It may even be lower than the $5 plus per hour that some fast-food outlets’ part-time workers are getting.

In our view, we may inadvertently or otherwise, be setting a bad example and sending the wrong message to other employers – that it may be alright to pay elderly Singaporeans just $5 an hour.

Exploitation in the name of community service?
It may be akin to exploitation of the elderly to work at such low wages.

It may not be right to use the excuse that – “as it had received feedback from some seniors in the district that they have good health and free time, and want to “contribute to society or get employment”

- the key words here may be “or get employment”.

Thus, we should not assume that pay may not be important at all, to all these senior citizens.

How do we tell or know whether an elderly resident is working to pass the time “to contribute to society” or that he or she does not need the money at all?

Also, the fact that “A survey which the CDC conducted last month after it started planning the new scheme found that 66 per cent of the 56 respondents, aged 55 to 90, wanted to continue working after retirement” – may indicate that it may be due to financial reasons.

Reinforce age discrimination?

It may be ironic that it is bad enough that we do not have a minimum wage. The labour statistics also indicate widespread age discrimination – with real pay decreasing as workers get older from their mid-thirties in age – particularly for the lower-wage occupations like cleaners and service workers.

$5.1m surplus, but pay $5?

In the district, Pasir-Ris-Punggol town council had a surplus for the year and accumulated surplus of $1.7 million and $5.1 million, respectively.

So, why are we arguably, being so stingy in paying these senior citizens?

Surely, the jobs and tasks that they do, would need to be done by others – who may not be so willing to work for just $5 an hour?

SY Lee and Leong Sze Hian

- http://leongszehian.com/?p=8642

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I read this in the shit papers, I ask myself, would I work for $5 hr, ten hours a week? that will be $50...even with no cpf deduction, you deduct for transport & meals...you must be damn senile to work for this pay!

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another reminder of the horrible feeling I always get when I see locals in their 60's and above cleaning tables and washing dishes in hawker centres while low quality Pinoys with fake papers stay in condos and live it up noisily with their 3 generation family in Orchard Road.

Its no coincidence the Pinoys choose the high profile Ngee Ann City to wave their flags on their Independence Day as they have claimed Orchard Road as their own.

Orchard Road=Little Pinoy, Little Pinoyland or Little Makati?

Last edited: