• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Ah Bock launches new attack on PAP after CNY un-invite

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tan Cheng Bock talks politics
<small class="clear">Friday, February 21, 2014 - 08:34
</small>Tessa Wong
MyPaper

210214_ST_tanchengbock%28edited%29.jpg

SINGAPORE - The People's Action Party (PAP) Government may be trying hard to fix problems caused by the large inflow of foreigners, but it has got itself in a tight bind, said former presidential candidate Tan Cheng Bock.

Its difficulties could help the opposition Workers' Party (WP) in the next general election, he said.

The former PAP MP for Ayer Rajah spoke on the future of both political parties in an hour-long interview with MyPaper at his home.

Since the watershed 2011 General Election, the Government, especially its younger ministers, has been "trying very hard" to resolve issues - like immigration - that contributed to its loss of votes, he said.

In 1999, when he was still an MP, he had called on the Government to tone down its talk on attracting foreigners, earning rebukes from ministers, including then Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew.

"Now, (the Government) has a quota system for foreigners in HDB," noted Dr Tan, 73.

But they have got themselves into "a very tight situation" by letting in too many foreigners.

"The original lax policy has created a lot of problems. If you suddenly pull the brakes too hard...you titrate wrongly, you have a big, big problem, because the companies will suffer," he said, adding that the Government may now be "overdoing it" in tightening labour flows, as businesses are facing a manpower crunch.

This means there is "a very likely chance" the WP could win more seats at the next election, given that some wards in the last election were won narrowly by the PAP.

"I think it's good because the WP can make the Government work harder, and also I think debate on issues will be much better," he said.

Asked what he thought of PAP's criticism that WP often sits on the fence or does not voice out its position on several issues, Dr Tan said: "They don't have to put forth an alternative every time an issue comes up. You can always wait. Timing is very important in politics... So they will know when to push their agenda.

"I think the PAP is the same, because (when rolling out) some of their policies they will wait."

With next year marking 50 years of independence, "if I were the Government, I would capitalise on it".

One thing working for the party now is its renewed vigour in fighting for votes, he noted.

But despite efforts to communicate more with citizens, "I don't think they have really nailed it yet...there is still a lack of trust" in the Government and its leaders, he said.

They have also yet to solve the "divide" in the party, where grassroots activists can feel snubbed after "they work like hell but they don't get to be MP" when the leadership parachutes elite "prefectorial, army, navy types" who are not in touch with the ground.

One exception is Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, whom he praised as "down to earth".

"Tharman is the type of person we should look for, and if we can get many people like him, I think the PAP will win (future elections) hands down," he declared.

"I think Tharman is a very practical chap, he knows how to move the ground...he's got the charisma to convince me that I want to go along with him," he said.

[email protected]

Get MyPaper for more stories.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singaporeans now don't trust the PAP government to look after their best interest...and that is a fact!

Employment, they have screwed the PIONEERS, the baby boomers, their offsprings & what comes after....ding dong policies, especially education, that produces generations of neurotic parents & children...CPF..where is my money?....hmmm..transportation, medical...security, one of the best ( it is really), but now getting scary every day...the list goes on...

Only the 60%..believe in such "magic"....we are really doomed....:mad:

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tan Cheng Bock talks politics
<small class="clear">Friday, February 21, 2014 - 08:34
</small>Tessa Wong MyPaper

SINGAPORE - The People's Action Party (PAP) Government may be trying hard to fix problems caused by the large inflow of foreigners, but it has got itself in a tight bind, said former presidential candidate Tan Cheng Bock.
:
:

GCyxYcF.jpg
bPH0a3E.jpg

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP are actually the people who, after smashing your car, offers to repair your car for you but not doing a very good job.
Just take a look at their failed policies.

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY started it all way back with family planning of 2 children per family. Sinkies complied and PAP then opened the flood gate to import new citizens who have no heart and soul in this country. Why are new citizens here? Do you think they love SG?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY started it all way back with family planning of 2 children per family. Sinkies complied and PAP then opened the flood gate to import new citizens who have no heart and soul in this country. Why are new citizens here? Do you think they love SG?

Family planning or not, squeezing almost 6 million people onto a small island is a bad idea. A very bad idea.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TCB is merely grazing the tip of the iceberg. The issue of foreigners is more on the competition they provide and the space they are taking up, not just their presence. Worse, many but not all of the problems relate to it.

Why I think PAP is really at risk even if it tries to prove WP is incompetent.

Housing - expensive resale, not-much-less-expensive BTO which people have to queue for years then after getting have to wait completion for more years.

Transport - overcrowding in MRT to the extent that not only trains but platforms are unstandable.

Education - repeated change of curriculum and very high standards of questions that even parents cannot answer or tutor.

Jobs - the issue of foreigners displacing Singaporeans are still not solved because the efforts are little; not talking about workers but executive posts. Some foreigners hold these posts for years.

Environment - people can forgive haze, it's Indonesia's fault, but what about more floods, rats, cockroaches and mosquitoes.

Law - increasing petty crime that goes unreported but felt by the people. Examples are fighting in trains, increased littering.

Food - prices rising due to higher rentals.

How many will give chances after all these and more, that we have to wait and see.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dis burger trying to cum up with a pappies left wing? Tat will certainly screw oppo parties...:biggrin::biggrin::oIo:

Not so easy to break something out of the PAP that will be large and strong enough to take on the PAP or displace the WP.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Although its good to voice his opinion, it will be better if he can put his money where his mouth is by standing as an opposition or independent candidate in the next election. This way he can show he has truly broken away from his PAP past and won't be accused of drumming up support for his presidential aspiration.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
TCB is merely grazing the tip of the iceberg. The issue of foreigners is more on the competition they provide and the space they are taking up, not just their presence. Worse, many but not all of the problems relate to it.

Why I think PAP is really at risk even if it tries to prove WP is incompetent.

Housing - expensive resale, not-much-less-expensive BTO which people have to queue for years then after getting have to wait completion for more years.

Transport - overcrowding in MRT to the extent that not only trains but platforms are unstandable.

Education - repeated change of curriculum and very high standards of questions that even parents cannot answer or tutor.

Jobs - the issue of foreigners displacing Singaporeans are still not solved because the efforts are little; not talking about workers but executive posts. Some foreigners hold these posts for years.

Environment - people can forgive haze, it's Indonesia's fault, but what about more floods, rats, cockroaches and mosquitoes.

Law - increasing petty crime that goes unreported but felt by the people. Examples are fighting in trains, increased littering.

Food - prices rising due to higher rentals.

How many will give chances after all these and more, that we have to wait and see.

Nitpicking on the micros like WP competency doesn't alter the general trend of raising anti-establishment sentiment. Moreover WP does got a case here. By then if PAP wants to bring up the issue of AHPETC account and dictate the election agenda, they might get themselves burn. Gone are the days when they had 100% control of info.