• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tell you all how SG classification is like , can make money is HITECH , cannot make money is LOWTECH

for example COE and ERP is HITECH , manufacture of Proton is LOWTECH

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep low tech robots. My phone can say hello and my roomba cleans my floor. Both have less intelligence than ants.

Sure anyone could define anything in ones own mind. Has Singapore successfully made any low tech phone btw?

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cant really imagine SG to be a high tech centre, when even the first tier Chinese cities like Beijing and Shanghai are laughing at how low tech SG is.....

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cant really imagine SG to be a high tech centre, when even the first tier Chinese cities like Beijing and Shanghai are laughing at how low tech SG is.....

The PRC makes their own chips for their world's fastest super computer and handsets(Huawei), nuclear reactors, all sorts of subs, fighter jets, space rockets...but you don't hear them talking everywhere about their high tech capabilities.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PRC makes their own chips for their world's fastest super computer and handsets(Huawei), nuclear reactors, all sorts of subs, fighter jets, space rockets...but you don't hear them talking everywhere about their high tech capabilities.

Good times, it pays to advertise. Bad times, it must advertise.
Aspirations and achievements are very different.

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Low tech Chicken rice shop also worth S$2.0m. Wait till it go high tech :biggrin:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SINGAPORE: The recipe for one of Singapore’s Michelin-starred hawker stalls is up for sale for at least $2mil (RM6.1mil), Shin Min Daily News reported on Monday.

Liao Fan Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle, which won a star in the inaugural Singapore Michelin Guide, has been lauded as the cheapest Michelin-starred meal in the world.
Several corporations in China, Taiwan and Vietnam have reached out to him, owner and chef Chan Hon Meng told the Chinese evening daily.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tell you all how SG classification is like , can make money is HITECH , cannot make money is LOWTECH

for example COE and ERP is HITECH , manufacture of Proton is LOWTECH

This reminds me of an old joke told many years ago when Dr M and Goh were PMs.
Dr M : we'll had design a car and will be making it that will be bringing in millions of Rm for the country every year.
Goh : wah! good for you Bro. We had also designed something and it will surely bring in billions of $S for the country every year with much lesser effort.
Dr M : wah! so good ah! Tell me leh.
Goh : we designed the COE.
Dr. M: wah!, like that also can, then I must charge you more for our rain water!

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
This reminds me of an old joke told many years ago when Dr M and Goh were PMs.
Dr M : we'll had design a car and will be making it that will be bringing in millions of Rm for the country every year.
Goh : wah! good for you Bro. We had also designed something and it will surely bring in billions of $S for the country every year with much lesser effort.
Dr M : wah! so good ah! Tell me leh.
Goh : we designed the COE.
Dr. M: wah!, like that also can, then I must charge you more for our rain water!

Different method but with same outcome. Both sucked their citizens dry.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good times, it pays to advertise. Bad times, it must advertise.
Aspirations and achievements are very different.

What you said made business sense, it just that those prc high tech products are not for mass market so it does not normally advertise
to cater for mass market but more it does targeted marketing and selling. Anyway a lot of prc high tech products especially the military ones are not for sale now.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another thing that I dont understand...why comparing high tech vs low tech? Is like saying white cat is better because it catch mouse. My understanding on high tech is those "chim chim" job and does that mean those high tech industries will generate high income job too? Low tech job cannot generate good income?

LV Gucci, make handbags, clothing....anything high tech about them? Ya, maybe they claim that their tailors got decades of experience, got what european cert, master of what what etc...but sometime i feel adidas material that they used even high tech than them. But they got the brand name, low tech jobs still generate good income. Swatch group biggest revenue income coming from low to mid end watches....even Volkswagen >60% profit come from audi & volkswagen, vs bently and porsche.

Nowadays high tech mean high competition. You see Taiwan are struggle because their high tech IT industry (DRAM, LED etc), high end cant compete with Korea, Jap, low end lose to China. Actually high tech rise and fall even faster, from Taiwan HTC to Finland Nokia....motorola, blackberry. Solar panel, few years back was so high tech, china come and compete to vegetable price, even US europe are suffer.

In fact, EDB has already identified several high tech sectors for SG for the next decade to turn the country into a truly global cosmopolitan city.
Among them are :
InfoTech products and service - which include InfoComm, cloud computing, data analytics, cyber security, design and research etc. (do you know Twitter Asia Pacific HQ is in SG?) -maybe, if cloudcomputing giant like amazon or alibaba willing to place a few high tech high income jobs. Cyber security...dunno the job prospect, not familiar with this sector.

MedTech - which include pharmaceutical and biotechnology R&D and production, clinical research etc. -high expenditure sectors, giants are all in US, even China cannot compete. During drug development phase will those high tech job created, during trial and once drug successful, doesnt have much high value job need to be created.

Water Industry - which include innovation and development of new water management and treatment technologies, SG is already recognised as the ‘Global Hydrohub’ -only this i can see singapore got clear competitive advantages, biggest opponent is the Isrealis, they are also very advance in this sector, living in desert, bo bian, they also very high tech in agriculture, able to export fresh products and leaders in agriculture sector (in desert landscape)

Interactive and Digital Media - include video games design, animation and new forms of digital entertainment. -singapore doesnt have this environment now, high end like square enix, blizzard, ubisoft will create many high tech jobs just to release one game. Low end game like candy crush and others mobile game actually doesnt generate a lot of jobs. Gaming industries will be highly competitive because China also want to join. Good thing about gaming is that it is highly personal preference, maybe singapore occasionally have successful game coming out. Animation, digital entertainment....beware, China coming, they will churn out massive expertise in this area to the point this sector jobs will be vegetable price.

FinTech - include financial technology, banking and insurance, etc. - http://www.fintechbusiness.com/blogs/394-the-rise-of-robotics-in-financial-services
Aerospace - include all aviation-related services and manufacturing; SG also host the very successful annual International Airshow. -sg doesnt have this sort of market, expertise will go to US or China

Actually my point is, high or low tech, which one can make money will be good jobs. You see Taiwan, last time everyone were admire on those IT jobs...now those IT jobs workers are admire on those hawkers that got good business. High tech brand name like HTC, Acer, Asus may not last as long as Ding tai fung, chatime. A lot of time High tech industries are good one eat all market, you think singapore able to compete with china US? Singapore can be this rich not because of high tech industry, rather it well position in its role in global economy.

Anyway Iskandar also got Pinewood studio, may not as high tech as animation maker, many apprentice go there learn special effect, to make movie. Oh ya, pengerang hub, now crude oil cheap, derivative products maybe good profit margin to produce, might be a good money maker, so high or low tech?

And there are lots of those that didn't plunge in post 2013 and saved their pot of gold :smile:

So do you think they should venture into iskandar? Ringgit this weak and generally ppl are avoiding it. Landed still not dropping, condo still unknown as the massive supply still havent reach the market.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Over half of developers not launching projects in 2H16

About 55% of the 157 property developers surveyed by the Real Estate and Housing Developers’ Association Malaysia (Rehda) are not planning to launch any projects in the second half of this year (2H16).

Signs of over stock with too many unsold units.
One of the problems : "interested buyers not being able to get the desired margin of financing".

http://www.theedgemarkets.com/my/article/over-half-developers-not-launching-projects-2h16

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Different method but with same outcome. Both sucked their citizens dry.

There is still a big difference - one has to top up with subsidies in millions of RM every year while the smarter one is still collecting billions of S$ every year for doing nothing.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is still a big difference - one has to top up with subsidies in millions of RM every year while the smarter one is still collecting billions of S$ every year for doing nothing.

In the end, subsidy also come from people.
Maybe Malaysian suffered and protest but they have many choices. They buy other makes of cars, and still happy.

And Singapore is the best. No need to work, get so much of COE money. They are the happiest..fuyoh!!
Congratulations and people celebrate. And they do not and cannot complain. That is success.

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spent one day looking for property in Johor yesterday, went to Mount Austin, Adda Heights and Bandar Dato On areas.

The most interesting part about two owner occupied units, out of two, both the Malaysian owners said that they were selling because the children have grown up and the rooms were empty, they were moving to Singapore, as their children and spouse all got jobs there, me and wife exchanged looks and we were intending to move to Johor? Hmm maybe we better think again.

Also met my banking neighbor this morning, told him about my plans to move to Johor, I asked his opinion as his wife was Malaysian, he actually said that they did consider such a plan but he said that they dropped the idea in the end..... Due to safety issues, I have another colleague also former Malaysian, also would not ever go back due to safety issues.

Very very interesting, now puts me thinking again. Really must take time to decide, for no brainer decision, definitely just rent, no bank loan, no need deposit, no worries and costs much less in monthly payments than buying a RM1m property.

All the people I met in these two days definitely not peasant sinkie or Malaysian category, and all rather live in singapore.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spent one day looking for property in Johor yesterday, went to Mount Austin, Adda Heights and Bandar Dato On areas.

The most interesting part about two owner occupied units, out of two, both the Malaysian owners said that they were selling because the children have grown up and the rooms were empty, they were moving to Singapore, as their children and spouse all got jobs there, me and wife exchanged looks and we were intending to move to Johor? Hmm maybe we better think again.

Also met my banking neighbor this morning, told him about my plans to move to Johor, I asked his opinion as his wife was Malaysian, he actually said that they did consider such a plan but he said that they dropped the idea in the end..... Due to safety issues, I have another colleague also former Malaysian, also would not ever go back due to safety issues.

Very very interesting, now puts me thinking again. Really must take time to decide, for no brainer decision, definitely just rent, no bank loan, no need deposit, no worries and costs much less in monthly payments than buying a RM1m property.

All the people I met in these two days definitely not peasant sinkie or Malaysian category, and all rather live in singapore.

It is true that when you grow old, your kids leave home. The oversized house felt empty. Nowadays, every married kid want their own home, no one want to stay with the parents anymore. That is the very same reason why I bought another condo last month even though the condo is 10 minutes drive from my present house.

In Malaysia and just like many other countries, safety issues are a concern. It is just that Singapore is a very safe city and you are not used to the safety risks of outside world and extra sensitive to these concerns. For us, Malaysians, it is very normal. We take safety issues as a daily routine.
Maybe you should try renting for a while, see if you can accept it or not before plunging. But I don't think money is an issue to you. Rather it is the suitability of lifestyle that you are after.

In my neighbourhood, we have clean and modern eateries such as Secret Recipe, Old Town, Ding Tai Fung, Vietnam restaurants.
But after a while, we felt that we miss the old style laksa stalls, nasi lemak at the corner shops or even wet market along the roadside where piping hot pan mee is served on plastic tables. That's my lifestyle, I suppose. So different people, different takes.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
IP - Intellectual Properties, is considered 'high tech' also mah........ hahaha

Low tech Chicken rice shop also worth S$2.0m. Wait till it go high tech :biggrin:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SINGAPORE: The recipe for one of Singapore’s Michelin-starred hawker stalls is up for sale for at least $2mil (RM6.1mil), Shin Min Daily News reported on Monday.

Liao Fan Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle, which won a star in the inaugural Singapore Michelin Guide, has been lauded as the cheapest Michelin-starred meal in the world.
Several corporations in China, Taiwan and Vietnam have reached out to him, owner and chef Chan Hon Meng told the Chinese evening daily.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal

I thought you should have known this better a long time ago. Surprised you changed opinion recently by wanting to stay in Johor and even buying a house there.

I mentioned several times in the past that when I asked some of my Malaysian colleagues and friends if they wanted to buy Iskandar properties (so much cheaper than those in SG), many balked at the idea. They wouldn't even think twice. There are several reasons they gave which I won't bother repeating here. This is a fact about what they told me and I didn't make the story up. Looks like it agrees with the experience with your neighbour.

I also did mention it's amusing for me to see Malaysians are coming in here to work, earning higher salaries and setting up their families here. Some even want to get their SG citizenship and buy yes, that "pigeon-hole" (as Sinkies themselves insult their own homes) HDB flats to live inside. But Singaporeans like you are moving out to stay in Johor. Some even contemplated pulling their children out of the education system here and putting them in Johor schools! (To me, international or not, it's still a school in Johor, standard is determined by the people there.) I can understand if it's SG-->US, Europe, Australia or Japan.... but to Johor??

This is not to imply Johor is lousy or SG is superior. Every city and country has its own beauty and attraction. Johor is no exception. But it takes a lot more than just "cheaper housing, bigger houses" to push people out of Singapore. There are other downsides in Johor that people have to consider.

This is a point which many speakers in property talks misled the audience. They kept painting a picture which shows many Singaporeans will naturally soon move over to Iskandar because they can't afford housing in SG. So you better buy one now also.

This is definitely not true. If you ask around and talk to your Singaporean friends and colleagues, or better still, talk to present or former Malaysians living in Singapore, the ground sentiments are very different from the half-truths those agents, speakers and developers of Iskandar projects are trying to portray.

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

There will always be people who think differently. For example, our family friend - a Datuk Seri, lives in Horizon Hill bungalow, but his kids make the daily commute to SG to study. He has recently expanded his operations to SG too, but would he stay in SG (despite that he had worked in SG before)? No way. There will always be 2 sides of the coin to consider.