• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep and this is high class housing by Singapore standards.

If singaporean able to afford buy this sort of housing in sg, they will decorate and renovate gao gao until like top class housing. While malaysian who live in low cost house generally too poor to spend money on renovation, buy tv sofa etc ady pok liao...so those low cost houses look low cost bcoz it is small and surrounding neighbourhood are messy, primitive stage of housing, many of them do not do a lot of atas beautifucation to their house. But i do see got medium class buy 2 low cost house link them together and make it into bigger house.

Last edited:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Around Bukit Batok area they build flats in almost every square inch now, land which was formerly used as buffer to expressway, petrol station or simply bad location also build. They put fanciful articles in newspapers of the transformation of Jurong lakeside hub to drum up hype like Iskandar and frankly, besides a few new malls and a hotel Jurong East is still a backwater slum.

Iskandar developers using same tactics as the PAP.

I thot Jurong will be the next CBD? And HSR station will be built there.

I tend to believe this a lot better than Iskandar Puteri (Nusajaya) being the CBD. It may happen but could take decades. Dunno can live to see it or not! :P

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
today read @ china news website.

A 6 square meter (66 sqf) flat in Shen Zhen sells for 900k rmb, which is about 170k sgd. all 9 such flats were sold in one morning.

china power totally crazy.

those who invest should have invested in shen zhen a couple years ago. i wish i had but did not.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
today read @ china news website.

A 6 square meter (66 sqf) flat in Shen Zhen sells for 900k rmb, which is about 170k sgd. all 9 such flats were sold in one morning.

china power totally crazy.

those who invest should have invested in shen zhen a couple years ago. i wish i had but did not.

When prices move up, be it stocks or property, we tend to say "If only I had...." But back then, we might not have done it because of the uncertainty or risks. Those who had invested took risks and they are rewarded now. However, it could have gone the other way, and these people could lose money.

Well, how about taking some risks now and invest in Iskandar? :smile:

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
When prices move up, be it stocks or property, we tend to say "If only I had...." But back then, we might not have done it because of the uncertainty or risks. Those who had invested took risks and they are rewarded now. However, it could have gone the other way, and these people could lose money.

Well, how about taking some risks now and invest in Iskandar? :smile:

Let me elaborate why you would not risk into shen zhen ppty few yrs back. 1.ppty bubble 2. Shadow banking 3.Xi crack down on corruption 4.china ppty market ady cool down 5. High interest rate b4 the rate cut 6.pretty much everything bad about china, going to happen.

Now think about it to iskandar.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe the true spirit and meaning of public housing is found in Malaysia LCH model.

In Singapore maybe the Govt also feel embarassed to call it low cost housing, instead they use the anomalous "affordable" housing which means for many to be indebted for life. Pretty much a lifetime of servitude if one keeps "upgrading" their HDB pigeon hole...oops....gonna get flak for calling it pigeon holes liao!

HDB is not low cost housing, at least for those in recent years. Well, maybe low cost to the government to build but not for the buyers. That's why till today, despite many urging them, the government have not revealed the actual cost of building HDB flats. I'm sure it's way lower than what buyers are paying.

Anyway, I find Singaporeans should be proud of their HDB flats. It's arguably the best public housing in the whole world for it's design, concept and overall quality (some are downright bad though). Unfortunately, their prices are totally not justified any more. The SG government have treated HDB flats as profit-making housing.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me elaborate why you would not risk into shen zhen ppty few yrs back. 1.ppty bubble 2. Shadow banking 3.Xi crack down on corruption 4.china ppty market ady cool down 5. High interest rate b4 the rate cut 6.pretty much everything bad about china, going to happen.

Now think about it to iskandar.

That's why I think those who bought Shenzhen properties back then and are earning huge profits now deserve it because of the risks and uncertainties they took.

Somehow, I think this can be said of Iskandar also? Those who have gone in now to invest are taking risks. If one day their property prices go up, those who didn't buy will say "Why didn't I....", "If only I had...." or "I should have...."

But I'm really not sure how close Iskandar can be compared to Shenzhen. Culturally, economically and politically, SG has some differences with Johor which HK and Shenzhen do not have.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thot Jurong will be the next CBD? And HSR station will be built there.

I tend to believe this a lot better than Iskandar Puteri (Nusajaya) being the CBD. It may happen but could take decades. Dunno can live to see it or not! :P

Right now Jurong East is as far from being a CBD as Iskandar is being the next CBD. The chances of HSR being built there is the same chance of it coming to Iskandar.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why I think those who bought Shenzhen properties back then and are earning huge profits now deserve it because of the risks and uncertainties they took.

Somehow, I think this can be said of Iskandar also? Those who have gone in now to invest are taking risks. If one day their property prices go up, those who didn't buy will say "Why didn't I....", "If only I had...." or "I should have...."

But I'm really not sure how close Iskandar can be compared to Shenzhen. Culturally, economically and politically, SG has some differences with Johor which HK and Shenzhen do not have.

Of course cannot be 100% similar. But the way SZ develop along the way in relation to HK is good reference how iskandar and sg will perform.

One thing that i find very not similar is, shenzhen ppl like go HK shopping while here is oppositr way happen.

enjoylife77

Alfrescian
Loyal
HK and SZ are governed under 1 country 2 system;so market can expect certain cooperation and coordination between authority to protect their investment and create wealth. Example is the approved Hong Kong - Shenzhen stock link.

SG and MY are always at loggerhead and each are thinking of ways to squeeze each other. Example CLOB shares and all the incredulous flip flop policy to disadvantage foreigner.

Invest in Iskandar with eyes wide open.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rental rates may drop by 30%, says property analyst

For those who are seeking rental for their units in the near future, brace yourself.

Low demand and oversupply of high-rise residential units may see rental rates drop by as much as 30 per cent over the next two years, The Malaysian Reserve reported.
Real estate consultancy firm PPC International Bhd CEO Siva Shanker said thousands of newly-completed units were expected to come on stream simultaneously in 2017 and 2018, causing a further strain on the market.

http://www.msn.com/en-my/money/tops...s-property-analyst/ar-BBw7RfI?ocid=spartandhp

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rental rates may drop by 30%, says property analyst

For those who are seeking rental for their units in the near future, brace yourself.

Low demand and oversupply of high-rise residential units may see rental rates drop by as much as 30 per cent over the next two years, The Malaysian Reserve reported.
Real estate consultancy firm PPC International Bhd CEO Siva Shanker said thousands of newly-completed units were expected to come on stream simultaneously in 2017 and 2018, causing a further strain on the market.

http://www.msn.com/en-my/money/tops...s-property-analyst/ar-BBw7RfI?ocid=spartandhp

That is why I always say rent in Johor. Got to love my business acumen in property.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally they've decided to come clean with the news.

This Siva Shanker is no different from a sneaky salesman selling snake oil. Or maybe he is an Indian snake charmer?

I remember at a seminar he openly said now may be a down time for Johor properties, but come 2018, prices will start climbing. So go ahead and buy! But now, he change his words and say 2018 will have more strain on the property market? Typical salesman.

Rental rates have already dropped significantly today. If they drop further, never mind 20,30 or 40% more, I think there is no incentive to rent out. Owners might as well keep the units empty or stay inside. It's a big loss and negative returns as an investment but it's better than getting pittance which cannot even cover your taxes, maintenance cost and bank loan. Tenants will thank you for treating them like kings. And good luck on the damaged interior.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
You don't need a financial guru to tell you that if the rental market in Sinkie Land is not doing well and still continuing to drop, how can it be better in JB?

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Property rental is like ebb and flow of the tide.
Shouldn't invest in property if you need rental to keep it going.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
You don't need a financial guru to tell you that if the rental market in Sinkie Land is not doing well and still continuing to drop, how can it be better in JB?

Sinkie land is so developed, economically active, and densely populated in a small size and yet rental is dropping.

What more for the newer areas in Johor which have a huge oversupply of properties (especially high rise) coming in 2017/18. Moreover, Johor rental rates were not high to begin with during good times. In this downturn, it will get much worse.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally they've decided to come clean with the news.

This Siva Shanker is no different from a sneaky salesman selling snake oil. Or maybe he is an Indian snake charmer?

I remember at a seminar he openly said now may be a down time for Johor properties, but come 2018, prices will start climbing. So go ahead and buy! But now, he change his words and say 2018 will have more strain on the property market? Typical salesman.

Rental rates have already dropped significantly today. If they drop further, never mind 20,30 or 40% more, I think there is no incentive to rent out. Owners might as well keep the units empty or stay inside. It's a big loss and negative returns as an investment but it's better than getting pittance which cannot even cover your taxes, maintenance cost and bank loan. Tenants will thank you for treating them like kings. And good luck on the damaged interior.

Talking about rental, i remember few years back when i were talking about no rental demand for those new condo units in this forum, got ppl reply back laughing me backward to even care about rental...back then ppty price (manipulate by developers) were growing very strong and they are typical kiasu and kiasi singaporean all rush in so afraid of missing out.

Anyway, my advise is, do not care about rental, if can get in anyway lower than 700 psf, btw 500 psf to 600 psf in medini or danga (may able to see such opportunity in 2017, 2018, if HSR n RTS still no news), just borrowing in SGD and buy it. If factor in possible currency advantages and future demand aspect changes, can be rewarding to be pioneer to get in the market while others all afraid. Do not care about rental, if you cant make it without rental, mind as well dont risk it, your financial is not strong enough to even get in.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talking about rental, i remember few years back when i were talking about no rental demand for those new condo units in this forum, got ppl reply back laughing me backward to even care about rental...back then ppty price (manipulate by developers) were growing very strong and they are typical kiasu and kiasi singaporean all rush in so afraid of missing out.

Anyway, my advise is, do not care about rental, if can get in anyway lower than 700 psf, btw 500 psf to 600 psf in medini or danga (may able to see such opportunity in 2017, 2018, if HSR n RTS still no news), just borrowing in SGD and buy it. If factor in possible currency advantages and future demand aspect changes, can be rewarding to be pioneer to get in the market while others all afraid. Do not care about rental, if you cant make it without rental, mind as well dont risk it, your financial is not strong enough to even get in.

When people start to say rental is dropping, I just wonder what are they comparing against as it is totally greenfield.
Does it depend on % of loan and monthly repayments? Or does it compare to FD rates? Or does it compare to Reits?
Or we all look at propertyguru and say that's it. The rental shall be this.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal

When one is misled by herd mentality, it's hard to turn back or think rationally. Tendency is to rush in altogether.

The world did not see any major financial crisis between 2013 to 2016. Yet how come in 2013, buyers were like rats running all over wanting to eat the food in the kitchen, but in 2014 onwards, most of them are nowhere to be found? The food is still there.

The reason is that only when reality strikes hard and the facts are laid out explicitly, do people suddenly realize they have all been running in the wrong direction.

Someone said here, if you need to depend on rental to invest in property, then you are not fit to be an investor. I think there's only half truth to this statement.

Getting rental from your property investment is a form of risk hedging. At least should things go wrong, like you bought at the wrong time, or you can't sell your property next time, you have that extra cash to tide you over.

Of course some people may say they don't like to rent out their properties because of possible damage and all sorts of trouble from tenants. They just keep and later, sell it off at profit. This is much easier to do years ago. In today's climate, depending on capital appreciation or flipping for good profits is very hard. So that's why depending on rental is a good way to get income rather than leave your property empty most of the time. It's not so much that one cannot afford it if there is no rental.

If you can't get rental, the market is soft, outlook is bleak, there is oversupply for many years, the property you bought is generally at a high price, then what's the point of buying the property in the first place? (Other than if you wish to stay there yourself.)

If investing in property is so easy, people should just snap up Iskandar properties. Or properties in other countries that are still affordable by foreigners' standard. Just keep them, wait 15-20 years later, sure can sell at profit. Is it so simple? No one is doing that.

Some have consoled by saying in the worst case, use it as holiday home or stay there yourself. But that's really like saying you are a cook trying to sell your food. If you don't get many customers, never mind, you can cook and eat the food yourself. Then what's the point of setting up the food stall business in the first place?

One can argue, I got money. I got holding power. Well, then there's nothing much to discuss. Like I said before, if you have the money, you can do almost anything you like. You can buy a $10k Rolex watch. Tomorrow you don't like it, you can throw it into the bin and buy another one. No one can say you are wrong.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shouldn't invest in property if you need rental to keep it going.

BINGO!
Someone just said earlier : "thousands of newly-completed units were expected to come on stream simultaneously in 2017 and 2018, causing a further strain on the market."
Rental is all about demand, the greater the demand the higher the rental goes, no two ways about it.
But when supply is overwhelming the market and worse, with some desperate owners lowering rental with that as-least-better-than-nothing mentality, rental will just go further south.

The only way to reverse this trend is to have new tenants fast and its tens of thousands of them to fill the empty condos.
The Iskandar marketing people had been making so much promises about new PIPC, CBD, RTS, HSR, multiple Theme Parks, factories, universities, hospitals etc. that will bring in hundred of thousands of people.
The developers believed and gone on a frenzy to build tens of thousands of new homes.
The investors believed and went crazy buying up some tens of thousands of new homes anticipating the arrival of hundreds of thousands of would be tenants.
Fast forward to today.

Now some experts are saying a different story.
They are now saying that : "thousands of newly-completed units were expected to come on stream simultaneously in 2017 and 2018, causing a further strain on the market."
So, who is responsible for the current situation, who is to be blamed and who is able to reverse the situation?
The Developers?
The Investors?
Or the Iskandar marketing people?