• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gan Kim Yong's Talk Cock parliament reply on hospital beds is a classic. Must Read!

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mr Gerald Giam Yean Song: I have two supplementary questions. First, have the hospitals considered converting the A and B1 class wards to C class wards, especially in this period of bed crunch so as to free up more space for the patients? And, secondly, are the public hospitals still marketing their international patient services to foreigners because these would naturally add to the bed crunch as well?

Mr Gan Kim Yong: Madam, first, let me explain that for the wards in the hospitals, the conversion has to take into account the infrastructure design. It also needs to take into account the manpower capacity as well. Some of the wards in B1 may not be able to be converted into C class wards by simply adding beds because we need to ensure that the pipes are there, the wiring is there, and the system is capable of accommodating more than the number of beds that are currently in B1.

But in the hospitals, what they have done is they have taken a very practical approach for patients when the bed capacity is tight. When they need more hospital beds to cater to the demand of the patients, they would allow the patients to be uplodged. Even if they are C class patients, we allow them to be uplodged to B2 or B1 wards. So I think all the private wards are being used as a potential capacity to cater to the need of the patient when the bed demand is high.

On the second point of foreign patients, I think I have replied in one of the PQs earlier. Foreign visitors form a very small component of our hospital beds. Some of them come for day surgeries, some of them are in the emergency and treated as outpatients and they go off. From my recollection, I remember that foreign visitors in our hospitals take up less than 2% of our hospital beds and these are sometimes urgent cases and some of them are already here in the emergency department.

From the hospital’s point of view, these foreign visitors do not pose a significant stress on our hospital beds. If you look at the historical trends, as I mentioned earlier, I think extension of the length of stay and rising of proportion of patients aged 65 and above are key drivers of hospital bed demand.

Of course, hospital bed occupancy is also a very dynamic number. It varies from day to day as you can imagine. It also varies from hospital to hospital. It depends to a very large extent on the number of emergency admissions and the number of discharges the hospital is able to undertake on each day. So it depends on how many patients arrive at the A&E, how many patients we plan to discharge and, therefore, in certain days, when we plan for a certain number of discharges but there could be a significant number of emergency cases that arrive at the emergency departments, and we have to address them and we may have to hospitalise them. If that situation happens, you tend to see a high bed occupancy rate for that particular day of that particular hospital.

Once you admit a patient into a hospital ward, it is not just for one day. Sometimes it takes two or three days. For an elderly, it may take a bit longer. So even for that particular day, the occupancy rate is high because of high admissions. It will take a few days for the occupancy rate to come down even if you have low admissions because the patients will take up the bed for a couple of days, or three-four days, depending on the situation. So it is not just a simple factor. That is why I explained in my answer that a combination of factors will contribute towards a high bed occupancy.

(Reminds you of what Talk Cock Vase Jo Teo said about what happens if all commuters decide to take the MRT at the same time?)

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Re: Gan Kim Yong's Talk Cock parliament reply on hospital beds is a classic. Must Rea

Sounds like a perfectly logical explanation to me.

Besides it would be crazy to convert profitable space into subsidised space. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Gan Kim Yong's Talk Cock parliament reply on hospital beds is a classic. Must Rea

The fat pig was just regurgitating answers prepared by the civil servants.

tridome

Alfrescian
Loyal

He may not even know what he was talking about as the reply was prepared by his staff department.

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Besides it would be crazy to convert profitable space into subsidised space. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Best reply I've heard so far.

I've upped your points.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He may not even know what he was talking about as the reply was prepared by his staff department.

When he mouths it, the reply becomes HIS.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

PAP MPs and Ministers are the worst in the world. One wonders how they even pass kindergarten.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

PAP MPs and Ministers are the worst in the world. One wonders how they even pass kindergarten.

Their logic, or rather lack of, is quite amazing. The examples they give are not quite relevant.

And has not answered Leong Sze Hian's question of on what basis has he promised to have more hospital beds?
Based on the 6.9million population plans, even with the additional hospital beds, we will still be at very third world standards.
They are masters is giving data in isolation, without context.

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal

Agreed. WP again make noise without understanding basic domain knowledge in hell care. Should be more constructive. Talk cork so much and offer no constructive solution.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal

The phrase "no such thing as a free lunch" is only used by people who cannot substantiate their explanations or justify their policies. It's a catch-all phrase to ward off any further discussions as to continue would only show up how shallow or hollow they are. This typifies the PAP and their cronies, chief of which is Leongsam.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Their logic, or rather lack of, is quite amazing. The examples they give are not quite relevant.

And has not answered Leong Sze Hian's question of on what basis has he promised to have more hospital beds?
Based on the 6.9million population plans, even with the additional hospital beds, we will still be at very third world standards.
They are masters is giving data in isolation, without context.

Examples or logic it begs the question if they really passed their exams with flying colours or just faked it all the way

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He joins the ranks of Josephine Teo - CB talk, beat around the bush.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

The phrase "no such thing as a free lunch" is only used by people who cannot substantiate their explanations or justify their policies. It's a catch-all phrase to ward off any further discussions as to continue would only show up how shallow or hollow they are. This typifies the PAP and their cronies, chief of which is Leongsam.

It is used by people who know perfectly well that "free" actually means "using someone else's money".

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

y cant euthanasia be used? pap is soo ambivalent abiut its people. so sick etc just get rid of them than bed shortage wont b an issue. at least tat way they can stop pretending tat they care.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

y cant euthanasia be used? pap is soo ambivalent abiut its people. so sick etc just get rid of them than bed shortage wont b an issue. at least tat way they can stop pretending tat they care.

Yes if they could have their way they would rather peasants drop dead instead of getting sick and harass then for hospital beds.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The fat pig was just regurgitating answers prepared by the civil servants.

He could be covering up for Khaw. Was told Gan is doing a much better job than Khaw.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Try to make it in life; rather then relying on others.

People that agree with TS; more or less are under achievers in our modern society.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Boss do your sum correctly! B1 is 2 beds convert to 8 beds same services win or lose?