• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Early retirement in JB

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Easier to earn money if stay in Sg....rental not certain and if overspend, will be in trouble...

If I have a landed terrace house, and it can give me very very good profits from sale, I would consider buyiing a 2 bedroom condo and a studio, or 2 studios in SG, either rent both out or rent one out and use the other for myself. But just me day dreaming lah....:p

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I have a landed terrace house, and it can give me very very good profits from sale, I would consider buyiing a 2 bedroom condo and a studio, or 2 studios in SG, either rent both out or rent one out and use the other for myself. But just me day dreaming lah....:p

I thought of doing that too...with 2 condos can give passive income of S$3500 at least but with international school fees so high in JB, I still cannot retire then need a expensive Sg car to commute then got to work and tolerate jams just to pay for school fees and car very sian...maybe, one way is to send them to nearby Woodlands school on their own by school bus then I can sell my expensive Sg car...hmm, maybe can explore that idea...

Checked with MOE that daily commute for the kids is not allowed, so they have to study in a local or international school there...

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought of doing that too...with 2 condos can give passive income of S$3500 at least but with international school fees so high in JB, I still cannot retire then need a expensive Sg car to commute then got to work and tolerate jams just to pay for school fees and car very sian...maybe, one way is to send them to nearby Woodlands school on their own by school bus then I can sell my expensive Sg car...hmm, maybe can explore that idea...

Checked with MOE that daily commute for the kids is not allowed, so they have to study in a local or international school there...

What do you mean by MOE not allowing daily commute for the kids? Why would that be MOE's concern how one gets to school?

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have had friends in kL who did home schooling for their kids from primary to secondary, plus attending elite tuition centre classes(with fees from rm 1k to 2k plus per mth). Most of their children did very well in gce '0' and 'A' levels, some good enough for most top Uni's. There may be similar avenues available in JB.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have had friends in kL who did home schooling for their kids from primary to secondary, plus attending elite tuition centre classes(with fees from rm 1k to 2k plus per mth). Most of their children did very well in gce '0' and 'A' levels, some good enough for most top Uni's. There may be similar avenues available in JB.
If you are talking about IGCSE levels or Cambridge O or A levels, you can actually sit for these tests without going through international schools or colleges. In Malaysia, home schooling is another form of education. All you need is to register with The British Council for the exams. Anyway, there are more than 100 international schools in Malaysia offering GCE A levels and IB syallabus.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are talking about IGCSE levels or Cambridge O or A levels, you can actually sit for these tests without going through international schools or colleges. In Malaysia, home schooling is another form of education. All you need is to register with The British Council for the exams. Anyway, there are more than 100 international schools in Malaysia offering GCE A levels and IB syallabus.

Great information for so many alternative and more affordable education paths. I do not really think a Singaporean kid would lose out if he or she has entire education oversea when foreigners with not an iota of singapore education could get cushy jobs in singapore .

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's what we plan to do for our kids. Take private As. The Singapore-Cambridge standard is too difficult and in my opinion not necessary. The international one is globally recognised and easier.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm glad that MOE has that Act in place to protect our children. Seriously. I think the SG government foresee this could be a problem as more Sinkies are thinking of doing this in time to come, at the expense of their children's well-being.

If I were the kid of parents who simply want to move over to Johor cos of early retirement or want to have a bigger home space, then I got to travel hours each day to SG to study, or be placed in some Johor school (never mind even if it's "international"), I'd be damn pissed.

I watched a documentary some time back on such a family that moved from SG to Johor simply cos they wanted to live in a landed house. The camera focused on the kids waking up at 4+am and by 5+am or so, they got to leave their Johor home to make way to school in SG. The father interviewed sounded like it was the right move to do so. But I looked at the kids' half-asleep faces, I was like.... Oh my.... Poor kids. Have to go through this for how long? How will they have good health? Will they be able to concentrate at school? How will they perform? They have to go through this for their parents' selfish intentions?

Ok, the above are my opinions. I respect the views of those who do what they do, as long as their kids are getting the best possible upbringing and education. What MOE could be afraid is that some parents may think they know what is best for their young kids but it could be more detrimental than beneficial.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm glad that MOE has that Act in place to protect our children. Seriously. I think the SG government foresee this could be a problem as more Sinkies are thinking of doing this in time to come, at the expense of their children's well-being.

If I were the kid of parents who simply want to move over to Johor cos of early retirement or want to have a bigger home space, then I got to travel hours each day to SG to study, or be placed in some Johor school (never mind even if it's "international"), I'd be damn pissed.

I watched a documentary some time back on such a family that moved from SG to Johor simply cos they wanted to live in a landed house. The camera focused on the kids waking up at 4+am and by 5+am or so, they got to leave their Johor home to make way to school in SG. The father interviewed sounded like it was the right move to do so. But I looked at the kids' half-asleep faces, I was like.... Oh my.... Poor kids. Have to go through this for how long? How will they have good health? Will they be able to concentrate at school? How will they perform? They have to go through this for their parents' selfish intentions?

Ok, the above are my opinions. I respect the views of those who do what they do, as long as their kids are getting the best possible upbringing and education. What MOE could be afraid is that some parents may think they know what is best for their young kids but it could be more detrimental than beneficial.

In any case, the Act says nothing of forbidding kids commuting to school from JB That MOE officer anyhow use the law to mislead, or intimidate. He should separate personal opinion from the law.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just to clarify, foreigners are not allowed to be enrolled in Malaysian public schools. They have to study in private or international schools.You always have a choice of what you want for your kids. My son went through the traditional Cambridge system and graduated from Australia National Uni. My daughter went through the International Baccalaureate system and still go to Australia University. The new method is they teach your kid how to think and not what to think. For Chinese based education in Malaysia, there's another recognised qualification called Unified Examination Certificate which is equivalent to A levels. It is fully acceptable by overseas universities.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal

My kids are eager to study there and were so disappointed I changed my mind....Sg education is not as great as what many think as many local grads are jobless and 3rd world "FT" are given local jobs...

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
They can study in Sunway college then aim for Wuhan Med Uni where fees r so cheap and still recognised in Sg...

enjoylife77

Alfrescian
Loyal

I watched a documentary some time back on such a family that moved from SG to Johor simply cos they wanted to live in a landed house. The camera focused on the kids waking up at 4+am and by 5+am or so, they got to leave their Johor home to make way to school in SG. The father interviewedww sounded like it was the right move to do so. But I looked at the kids' half-asleep faces, I was like.... Oh my.... Poor kids. Have to go through this for how long? How will they have good health? Will they be able to concentrate at school? How will they perform? They have to go through this for their parents' selfish intentions?

I got a feeling the Pinoy family featured in the documentary Get Rea! would have moved back here due to the massive deterioration of traffic condition since then.

edragon

Alfrescian
Loyal
The comments are very informative and correct too. I know of a lady who studied in KL local school until 18 and goes to the States for University.
While in U.S. do the practical with a U.S. firm and when return to KL was offered a job and continue with this Company in KL.
After working three years, was head-hunted by a Singapore GLC and last year, came over to work with a starting salary of S$7K at the age of 25.
she just got her PR approved after working in Singapore for 1 year and 2 months.

Last edited: