• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anton Casey loses his job after Facebook 'poor people' comment

WildestDreams

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Anton Casey loses his job after Facebook 'poor people' comment

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 26 January, 2014, 5:35am
UPDATED : Sunday, 26 January, 2014, 5:35am

Agence France-Presse in Singapore

c8195f0bc72067f84a8da45fc6d88460_1.jpg

Anton Casey

A British wealth adviser who set off a firestorm by publicly insulting Singaporeans who have to rely on public transport has "parted ways" with his former employer, the firm said yesterday.

Porsche-driving Anton Casey, 39, who is married to a former Singapore beauty queen, has left the city state for Australia but has not said what his future plans are following the controversy.

Casey, who holds permanent residency in Singapore, which he calls his adopted home, claims to have received death threats after he referred to public transport users as "poor people" in a social network post.

Casey's employer, Crossinvest Asia, said: "Those comments go against our core corporate and family values that are based on trust, mutual understanding and are respectful of diversity. Accordingly, Crossinvest Asia and Mr Casey have parted ways with immediate effect."

In a statement to the Straits Times newspaper on Friday, Casey said he had left for Australia "due to threats made towards my family", and asked for forgiveness.

The Briton and his family, now in Perth, faced stinging abuse from internet users after Facebook posts insulting commuters went viral.

One of the posts showed a picture of a boy, apparently his five-year-old son, sitting inside a metro train with a caption above the photo saying: "Daddy, where is your car & who are all these poor people?"

Many took to social media yesterday to welcome Casey's departure from the boutique wealth management firm.

Singapore - with a modern public transport system - is one of the world's wealthiest societies, with a per capita gross domestic product of S$65,048 (HK$395,000) in 2012.

Deuce

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

British banker fired, escapes to Australia after his remarks on 'poor' Singapore

Published time: January 26, 2014 08:23
Edited time: January 26, 2014 09:03

british-singapore-mock-australia.si.jpg

Anton Casey (L) and his wife Bernice Wong

A Singapore-based UK banker, Anton Casey, who triggered massive public outrage over his Facebook remarks insulting Singapore residents, has been dismissed from his post and forced to flee to Australia.

His employer Crossinvest (Asia) Pte Ltd and Casey “parted ways”, the company indicated on Saturday, as quoted by AFP.

"Those comments go against our core corporate and family values that are based on trust, mutual understanding and are respectful of diversity," the company’s statement said.

Anton Casey, 39, married to a former Singapore beauty queen, has gone to Perth, Australia, in the wake of the scandal.

Casey has permanent residence in Singapore which he calls his adopted home, and claims he received death threats after posting his “poor people” comments on Facebook, referring to Singapore commuters.

One of the posts was a picture of a boy who is apparently Casey’s five-year-old son sitting inside a metro train, with a caption above his head reading: “Daddy, where is your car & who are all these poor people?”

In another post, Casey complained about “the stench of public transport” while his Porsche was in the garage.

Following the incident and the public outburst that ensued, Casey deleted all his social networks profiles.

However, Facebook users on Friday made a page dedicated to Casey and the scandal around him, an “e-card” to “say goodbye proper”, as the creator of the page put it.

anton.jpg

Screenshot from facebook.com @Anton-Casey

Casey, in his turn, wrote a letter to a Singapore newspaper saying the remarks were “the worst mistake” of his life, the Daily Mail reported.

“I hope the people of Singapore will allow me to volunteer my time and resources to community projects to make amends. I also hope the people of Singapore, my adopted home, will forgive me over time,” Casey also wrote.

Singapore is one of the world’s richest societies, with a per-capita gross domestic product of Sg$65,048 ($50,890) in 2012, according to AFP data. Also, around 50,000 UK expats live in the wealthy country, with many of them employees of international banks.