• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pinky: I Not Stupid Ok

makapa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Govt not stupid, says PM Lee

20080818.100937_aug1808_pmlee2_350.jpg

DIRECTOR Jack Neo is quick to capitalise on topical issues, like the current inflationary climate and the increase in Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) rates, in his latest movie, Money No Enough 2.

However, the Government, while not as fast, is certainly 'I Not Stupid', quipped Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

His remark - punning on the film-maker's two hits - was in his Mandarin National Day Rally speech delivered at the University Cultural Centre yesterday evening. It was used to illustrate the fact that the Government has indeed taken steps to 'mitigate the impact of the increase' in prices.

On the ERP topic, which he acknowledged has generated much public debate, he said: 'With more cars on the road, we need to increase ERP to keep traffic flowing. When ERP was increased, we also reduced road tax and improved public transport.

'Jack Neo did not mention the overall picture nor the steps by the Government to help Singaporeans, so I will explain further in my English speech.'

His English speech will be telecast at 8pm tonight, while the Malay and Mandarin speeches were shown last night. This was so that Singaporeans could watch the historic women's table- tennis team play at the Beijing Olympics.

On inflation, PM Lee said: 'We have been monitoring prices since last year. We have taken concrete measures to help Singaporeans to cope.'

For example, he pointed out: 'The Ministry of Finance has distributed part of the Growth Dividend and GST Offset. A further Growth Dividend package will be given out in October.'

The Government has also given out $3 billion - 'enough to make big impact'.

He added that some increases have been held back. There has been 'no increase in Town Council and service and conservancy charges in PAP wards this year, (and) increases in water tariffs have been held off'.

Still, 'some increases cannot be prevented because energy and other operating costs have increased, (and) workers also need salary increments, but the Government will try its best to keep any increase small'.

In addition to speaking on such measures to help combat inflation, he also urged young people to see marriage as an important part of life.

He said that while inflation is an acute concern, Singapore needs to address longer-term challenges, such as the country's low birth rate.

He advised young people to 'achieve the right balance between career and marriage'.

'Otherwise, (they) may miss out on chances to find love and happiness, may miss (the) best window to have children and the happiness of family life,' he explained.

He also spoke about the now-'extinct' mei po, or matchmaker, who enabled singles to meet their partners more effectively.

He added: 'I hope parents will encourage their children in a sensitivemanner and that children will take this matter seriously. Ultimately, this is a personal matter and the Government can only facilitate.'

Besides this, PM Lee also touched on the topic of foreign workers.

He assured Singaporeans that 'the Government's responsibility is to Singaporeans'.

'Our duty is to improve the lives of Singaporeans. We allow in foreign workers and new immigrants because doing so will benefit Singaporeans.'

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
he probably didnt finish his sentence.. having FT will benefit the Government more.. imagine having 6 mil people... they will probably collect double the tax of what they can collect from 3 mil people... and if i am the government i will be doing the same..i will increase the population to 8 mil...:biggrin:

because doing so will benefit Singaporeans.'[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Government has also given out $3 billion - 'enough to make big impact'.

Where? When? Din c it. 3 billion wat? Sperm ar? GST offset is 1 time bout $200 for some? Yah we are stupid. We dun noe how to make tat $200 last 10yrs. :rolleyes::biggrin:

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
he probably didnt finish his sentence.. having FT will benefit the Government more.. imagine having 6 mil people... they will probably collect double the tax of what they can collect from 3 mil people... and if i am the government i will be doing the same..i will increase the population to 8 mil...:biggrin:

8 million might be too much for a small country, already so crowded imagine the traffic jams if that were to happen

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
if i am the government.. i wont be too concern with that..we still have plenty of emtpy land and HDB flats... my concern will be how to bring in more FT to occupy them and pay me good tax.... :biggrin: :biggrin:

8 million might be too much for a small country, already so crowded imagine the traffic jams if that were to happen

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can we have FT minister?? I am sure we can get quite a few good one compare with the academic-high carry balls- high but ground work - zero

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
to be fair.. i agree to a certain extent.. i run a business and it is damn difficult to get reliable singaporean to do the work......the same goes for FT.. but at least they are cheaper to engage... and i am not paying peanuts.. my average pay out to my worker is $3200 exclude CPF...

The only issue i am unhappy about is MOM's decision not to award work permit to indians and chinese unless it is in the labour industry.. i need to apply S pass for all my FT from other countries except malaysian....
S pass min pay is $1800 plus $50 levy, where i could get someone else to come in and do the job for $1500 if work permit is allow.

Did anyone find this statement obscene or is it agreeable :confused:

kitkat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Big Sexy said:
my average pay out to my worker is $3200 exclude CPF...

I hope that job you pay $3200 requires a degree. If it is just another no brainer job, then the cost of running a business is outrageous.

molly

Alfrescian
Loyal
'The Ministry of Finance has distributed part of the Growth Dividend and GST Offset. A further Growth Dividend package will be given out in October.'

Hope it's a big payout in October :smile: