• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HSR and RTS Discussion

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forget about RTS, now "he" is talking about MEGLEV! lol

"Q: Is the Maglev train project on track?
A: Again, whenever investors, local and foreign, come to invest in Johor, I immediately think of how I can direct them to projects that benefit Johor and assist my subjects. A company is studying the possibility of Johor setting up the Maglev project for the state. It has nothing to do with the High-Speed Rail. It will link Johor Baru, Pasir Gudang, Kempas, Iskandar Puteri and other areas. We are also looking at the Maglev entering Singapore, in view of the massive traffic jam at the Causeway every day."

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/08/...ncept-now-more-relevant-ever-says-johor-ruler

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forget about RTS, now "he" is talking about MEGLEV! lol

"Q: Is the Maglev train project on track?
A: Again, whenever investors, local and foreign, come to invest in Johor, I immediately think of how I can direct them to projects that benefit Johor and assist my subjects. A company is studying the possibility of Johor setting up the Maglev project for the state. It has nothing to do with the High-Speed Rail. It will link Johor Baru, Pasir Gudang, Kempas, Iskandar Puteri and other areas. We are also looking at the Maglev entering Singapore, in view of the massive traffic jam at the Causeway every day."

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/08/...ncept-now-more-relevant-ever-says-johor-ruler

Unlike the Sultan who says he is above politics, I must say that I am not even into politics! LOL! I am basically an idiot when it comes to knowing the politics of Singapore (it's just PAP all the way, PAP win all the way, ya?:p), not to say JB or Malaysia. But setting my ignorance aside, I quite like this Sultan, or at least the side of him that is in the public. I hope (in my usual pathetic way) that what he says will see some fruit. MAGLEV coming! :biggrin:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unlike the Sultan who says he is above politics, I must say that I am not even into politics! LOL! I am basically an idiot when it comes to knowing the politics of Singapore (it's just PAP all the way, PAP win all the way, ya?:p), not to say JB or Malaysia. But setting my ignorance aside, I quite like this Sultan, or at least the side of him that is in the public. I hope (in my usual pathetic way) that what he says will see some fruit. MAGLEV coming! :biggrin:

Chinese MAGLEV.
Taken the one from Pudong airport to Loyang station. To me it is just another hsr.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
got normal train happy liao, no need maglev or what not la

The Tebrau Shuttle is the easiest fix but seriously don't know why they don't increase frequency. I'm sure there's some complexity but what is it really?

Some sort of quota? Manpower shortage? Not profitable? Lobbying by bus company?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Tebrau Shuttle is the easiest fix but seriously don't know why they don't increase frequency. I'm sure there's some complexity but what is it really?

if they really want, they can do it like Penang ferry method. But no...

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

KTM, the train company, belongs to MY so it is up to their top management to explore all the possibilities given all the existing facilities already in place - just need to upgrade the stations, add new coaches etc. and nego with SG on the freguencies of trips allowable.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

I thought it's a single track system? So hard to cope with the huge demand during peak working periods. Not sure if it's upgradable to double track too, given the tight space constraints, and limited supporting infrastructure at Woodlands.

As compared to RTS, which will be directly linked to thomson line.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought it's a single track system? So hard to cope with the huge demand during peak working periods. Not sure if it's upgradable to double track too, given the tight space constraints, and limited supporting infrastructure at Woodlands.

I think if they simply open up the track for people to walk through it would ease the congestion...and make it safer for people to walk across the customs.:p

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think if they simply open up the track for people to walk through it would ease the congestion...and make it safer for people to walk across the customs.:p

The bottleneck is not the trains, RTS, ferries, whatever. It is the CIQ and the reluctance to let people flow freely. It is more than just stamping of passports.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
The bottleneck is not the trains, RTS, ferries, whatever. It is the CIQ and the reluctance to let people flow freely. It is more than just stamping of passports.

On Singapore side, I agree that it is a ICA problem. I see the design layout of the new bike clearance I also face/palm. It is designed to bottleneck again...bikers have to be funnelled into a couple of narrow gates...so much space is wasted in between which could have been used to make more counters.:mad:

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
On Singapore side, I agree that it is a ICA problem. I see the design layout of the new bike clearance I also face/palm. It is designed to bottleneck again...bikers have to be funnelled into a couple of narrow gates...so much space is wasted in between which could have been used to make more counters.:mad:

I take the KTM quite often when i go back to jb and trust me it's very underutilized, they can easily double capacity with some simple systems implementation. As a Malaysian, this is what frustrates me the most, "tidak apa" attitude.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
China's first home-grown maglev in operation
http://m.chinadaily.com.cn/en/2016-05/06/content_25117948.htm
Actually our sultan quite up to date, "The line costs between 150 million yuan and 250 million yuan per kilometer, making it highly economical compared to subways and light rail, which cost up to 800 million yuan and 300 million yuan per km respectively." "The train can carry 363 people at a maximum speed of 100 km per hour"

In China, there is no such things call expensive high tech, they can do until vegetable price. No wonder developed countries hate china so much....how to compete. But this maglev sibeh slow leh.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

When you have a budget problem, you look for a cheaper solution.
For single track, the train just have to run on shutter back and forth which is what the train is doing now going back and forth from Woodlands to JB.
So, the train trip frequencies can be increased during peak hours to cater the working people.
Every weekday, you see the massive morning jam on the Causeway from JB to SG, so many walked over instead of waiting in the non moving buses and this group would be glad if the train is running.
The Woodlands/JB ride is only 5 mins but the frequencies during peak is half hourly, so if they make it say every 15 mins, then the trips can be doubled.

Last edited:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Snowy bird, Iskandar huat liao! :smile:

Maglev trains set to revolutionise Johor

By CHUAH BEE KIM AND AHMAD FAIRUZ OTHMAN - 31 AUGUST 2016 @ 3:29 PM

JOHOR BARU: The proposed plan for a Maglev (magnetic levitation) train service here, as revealed by Sultan of Johor Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar, will spur a new economic playing field for Johor and create a big leap for Johor Baru in terms of transport infrastructure.

A Chinese company is conducting a study on the project’s feasibility. The project will be developed under a private finance initiative, and is expected to cover a rail network that spans from the eastern to western suburbs of Iskandar Malaysia in south Johor. If approved, the project will make Malaysia among a handful of countries that have Maglev trains.

Johor Indian Business Association president S.P. Sivakumar said global economic giants, such as China, were setting their sights on Johor to invest in large-scale projects. He said the state owed this to Sultan Ibrahim, a visionary ruler in tune with the future of the global economic shift.

“Good infrastructure will attract huge investments to the state, and the Maglev trains will be a step in the right direction. “The trains will spur a new economic playing field for Johor, allowing China to prioritise Johor when deciding on expanding its manufacturing companies here.

Johor’s economy is expected to grow faster than other states. The state will be an economic powerhouse, and, with that, more people will be coming to live and work in Johor,” said Sivakumar, who is also Malaysian Indian Commerce Association president.

In an exclusive interview with the New Straits Times published yesterday, Sultan Ibrahim said a company was studying the possibility of setting up the Maglev project in Johor. The ruler said the project would link Pasir Gudang, Kempas, Iskandar Puteri and others areas, and the company would also look at the Maglev entering Singapore, in view of the massive traffic jam at the Causeway every day.

A Maglev vehicle travels along a guideway that uses magnets to create lift and propulsion. Among the well-known services of this kind is the Shanghai Maglev Train, known as Transrapid, which connects Pudong International Airport and the outskirts of central Pudong in Shanghai, China, along a 30.5km track. Seri Alam Properties Sdn Bhd senior general manager (township division) Frankie Tan Kiat said Maglev trains caused less pollution and moved faster than existing train systems in the Klang Valley.

“If the system is built here, it will create a big leap for the city, as such trains are only available in China, Korea and Japan.

A Maglev project in Johor means the state will have a transport system that is better than some major cities in Europe that still rely on trams and commuter trains.”

Tan said the projected growth in the population of southern Johor required an efficient and green transport system that would provide transportation between the different areas in greater Johor Baru.

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/08/169645/maglev-trains-set-revolutionise-johor

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Snowy bird, Iskandar huat liao! :smile:

Maglev trains set to revolutionise Johor

By CHUAH BEE KIM AND AHMAD FAIRUZ OTHMAN - 31 AUGUST 2016 @ 3:29 PM

JOHOR BARU: The proposed plan for a Maglev (magnetic levitation) train service here, as revealed by Sultan of Johor Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar, will spur a new economic playing field for Johor and create a big leap for Johor Baru in terms of transport infrastructure.

A Chinese company is conducting a study on the project’s feasibility. The project will be developed under a private finance initiative, and is expected to cover a rail network that spans from the eastern to western suburbs of Iskandar Malaysia in south Johor. If approved, the project will make Malaysia among a handful of countries that have Maglev trains.

Johor Indian Business Association president S.P. Sivakumar said global economic giants, such as China, were setting their sights on Johor to invest in large-scale projects. He said the state owed this to Sultan Ibrahim, a visionary ruler in tune with the future of the global economic shift.

“Good infrastructure will attract huge investments to the state, and the Maglev trains will be a step in the right direction. “The trains will spur a new economic playing field for Johor, allowing China to prioritise Johor when deciding on expanding its manufacturing companies here.

Johor’s economy is expected to grow faster than other states. The state will be an economic powerhouse, and, with that, more people will be coming to live and work in Johor,” said Sivakumar, who is also Malaysian Indian Commerce Association president.

In an exclusive interview with the New Straits Times published yesterday, Sultan Ibrahim said a company was studying the possibility of setting up the Maglev project in Johor. The ruler said the project would link Pasir Gudang, Kempas, Iskandar Puteri and others areas, and the company would also look at the Maglev entering Singapore, in view of the massive traffic jam at the Causeway every day.

A Maglev vehicle travels along a guideway that uses magnets to create lift and propulsion. Among the well-known services of this kind is the Shanghai Maglev Train, known as Transrapid, which connects Pudong International Airport and the outskirts of central Pudong in Shanghai, China, along a 30.5km track. Seri Alam Properties Sdn Bhd senior general manager (township division) Frankie Tan Kiat said Maglev trains caused less pollution and moved faster than existing train systems in the Klang Valley.

“If the system is built here, it will create a big leap for the city, as such trains are only available in China, Korea and Japan.

A Maglev project in Johor means the state will have a transport system that is better than some major cities in Europe that still rely on trams and commuter trains.”

Tan said the projected growth in the population of southern Johor required an efficient and green transport system that would provide transportation between the different areas in greater Johor Baru.

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/08/169645/maglev-trains-set-revolutionise-johor

Will he be attracted (pun intended)? :biggrin:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will he be attracted (pun intended)? :biggrin:

"Good news" for those pathetically hopefuls and happy to see them all so thrilled but sorry, I'm not one of them.
Feasibility studies had already been carried out and it showed that the main issue is still insufficient ridership to support the system.
I had ride on the Shanghai/Pudong airport rail and it is indeed very fast, quiet and stable..............and the fare is also not cheap, so the question here is can they apply that kind of fare here?

Any system can be build and as it is only a one time expenditure even though with a longer amortized cost for the all hardware and equipment but ultimately in long term, it is the

1. operation cost
2. maintenance cost
3. ridership
4. management

will determine the sustainability of the system.
If the system lose money yearly, who shall be footing the bill?
In the meantime, wait for the final feasibility study report which may take another year or two and stay hopeful.
Sweet dreams.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal