• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HSR and RTS Discussion

Newbie11

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://feedly.com/k/1i0DLTt

Despite having long-term development timelines, Chen said projects such as the mass rapid transit (MRT) Lines 2 and 3 and Kuala Lumpur- Singapore high-speed rail (HSR) will proceed as announced and will probably involve funds raised from the market.

“MRT Line 2 and 3 projects will go on as planned and it will involve a lot of negotiations, especially from landowners for land acquisitions, and also a series of negotiations from both Malaysian and Singapore government for the HSR project,” he told The Malaysian Reserve recently.

He said these projects will not be in the rescheduling and sequencing list as these are vital projects that benefits the people in the long term.

wolverine23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Almost everywhere in the Draft Master Plan 2013, the RTS and HSR was mentioned.

Seems like Singapore is ready to take it on???

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Almost everywhere in the Draft Master Plan 2013, the RTS and HSR was mentioned.

Seems like Singapore is ready to take it on???

I believe RTS will take place with a bit of delay. Since it is already in MP2013, very likely announcements will soon follow.

I have no confidence in HSR, due to difficulty and cost of land acquisitions, and viability due to competition from low cost flights.

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
HSR was mentioned in the Sin-Mal biz forum yesterday in singapore. HSR meeting between two countries will be in december.
I believe RTS will take place with a bit of delay. Since it is already in MP2013, very likely announcements will soon follow.

I have no confidence in HSR, due to difficulty and cost of land acquisitions, and viability due to competition from low cost flights.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
HSR was mentioned in the Sin-Mal biz forum yesterday in singapore. HSR meeting between two countries will be in december.

Hope things work out. RTS is more significant to me, as it will be integrated with the MRT lines in Singapore. Unless KL is a more important city than Singapore.

wolverine23

Alfrescian
Loyal
AS long as they keep discussing, there is hope.

Eventually, I think Singapore will need to pay most of the costs for the RTS to materialise.

Hope things work out. RTS is more significant to me, as it will be integrated with the MRT lines in Singapore. Unless KL is a more important city than Singapore.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Eventually, I think Singapore will need to pay most of the costs for the RTS to materialise.

Better still, at the same time also start building third link between Singapore and Pasir Gudang. :biggrin:

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal

I always try to ask myself this question:

As far as the Spore Government is concerned, what economic benefit ($$$) will it get when this RTS is built?
Of course, the common people would be very happy to live in JB and earn in Spore. Connectivity would be great, JB people can go to work and study in Spore easily every day while Spore people can come over on weekends without jams. But what about the taxes / income the Spore Government can get from this spin offs?

Malaysians do not have much spending power in Spore as the RM is so weak. Therefore, increased in human traffic at Woodlands may not translate into extra income. Having said that, the capital expenditure in this RTS projects is very high.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

As far as the Spore Government is concerned, what economic benefit ($$$) will it get when this RTS is built?
Of course, the common people would be very happy to live in JB and earn in Spore. Connectivity would be great, JB people can go to work and study in Spore easily every day while Spore people can come over on weekends without jams. But what about the taxes / income the Spore Government can get from this spin offs?

Malaysians do not have much spending power in Spore as the RM is so weak. Therefore, increased in human traffic at Woodlands may not translate into extra income. Having said that, the capital expenditure in this RTS projects is very high.

SG needs SYT, not e oldies, like u and me. :biggrin:

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal

how about cheaper housing prices in SG as a result of pple shifting over to JB ? PAP is losing votes after the ppty prices escalate beyond affordable.

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal

Import more from neighbours to make up the 6.9 mil n collect more taxes from new pr/citizens.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you are hiring you will welcome more applicants to chose from.

One of our Ministers also slipped his tongue and mentioned about possibility of Singaporeans sending their parents to aging homes in Johor if they cannot afford the high costs in Singapore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaw_Boon_Wan

Inflation is very real, as you can see how COE has climbed and public transport companies applying for fare increase. I think the government is subtly creating a conducive and lower cost environment for Singaporeans to retire in Johor. Nursing homes in Singapore and proven to be very difficult to build in Singapore due to public resistance.

Education and work = Singapore
Retirement = Johor/elsewhere.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are hiring you will welcome more applicants to chose from.

One of our Ministers also slipped his tongue and mentioned about possibility of Singaporeans sending their parents to aging homes in Johor if they cannot afford the high costs in Singapore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaw_Boon_Wan

Inflation is very real, as you can see how COE has climbed and public transport companies applying for fare increase. I think the government is subtly creating a conducive and lower cost environment for Singaporeans to retire in Johor. Nursing homes in Singapore and proven to be very difficult to build in Singapore due to public resistance.

Education and work = Singapore
Retirement = Johor/elsewhere.

Agree with that...Singapore is not a good place to retire as costs of living is too high and we need young people to remain a vibrant economy....

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was recently reported that HK is considering leasing a large plot of land in Guangzhou to build a township that will be connected to HK by HSR. Drawing simplistic parallels with hk which is also land-scarce (although not necessarily identical), there could be certain economic benefits for Singapore to be able to tap on the connectivity with Johor (just as Hk seeks to tap into Guangzhou). I'm only guessing.

Separately, I remember it was about this time last year when the feasibility study into the RTS was competed and it was then reported that both Sg and My had 12 months to decide on the project including on the key points. That 12 months should be coming up any time now, isn't it?

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was recently reported that HK is considering leasing a large plot of land in Guangzhou to build a township that will be connected to HK by HSR. Drawing simplistic parallels with hk which is also land-scarce (although not necessarily identical), there could be certain economic benefits for Singapore to be able to tap on the connectivity with Johor (just as Hk seeks to tap into Guangzhou). I'm only guessing.

Leasing of land from Johor to Sinkie Land will never materialized because these are 2 different countries, whereas Hongkong and Guangzhou are actually having the same boss, China.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
how about cheaper housing prices in SG as a result of pple shifting over to JB ? PAP is losing votes after the ppty prices escalate beyond affordable.

That might happen ie hdb resale prices start going down if people really start living in jb....so maybe that is why the 2 governments have to think carefully about the impact on property prices so are proceeding carefully....

Do you guys think prices will really come down in singapore and go up in malaysia as a result of better connectivity?