• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Wei Ling: What Keeps Me Rooted To Singapore

sgnewsalte

Alfrescian
Loyal
After reading what she wrote, I have few points to make:

1. She kena serious surgical complication and is now in hospital. In 2002 and 2003, she also kena surgical accidents which nearly end her life. What is wrong with her that she needs to go surgery that often? And I wonder who are the surgeons who committed these accidents and what happen to them now? Are they still practising surgeons in Singapore?

2. She says that LKY and wifey want to stay back to fight the Vietcongs to the bitter end. I wonder why LKY didn't join Lim Bo Seng to fight the Japs, but instead joined the Japanese secret police as their translator.

3. Why did LKY told his children that they are not obliged to stay and fight for Singapore? Isn't not the duty of every Singaporean to do so? If not, then what the hell is National Service Conscription for?

4. Some of LKY's relatives are quitters, giving up their Singapore citizens to be Americans. Who are they?

5. Getting FTs win Olympic medals and the wayang National Day Parade - Wei Ling feels that both are just waste of time and money. So do we, but why is her brother felt otherwise and instead made singaporean to become 2nd class citizens?

6. Gino the physiotherapist became her good friend after treating her in 2002/2003. This Gino is sure a smart fella. I wonder how many patients of Gino became his good pal beside LKY daughter? I wonder If Wei Ling is not LKY's daughter, will she still be Gino's good pal?

7. She says she want to fight for Singapore, Then why didn't she volunteer for National Service in the SAF?

-----------------------------------------------------------

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>What keeps me rooted to Singapore
</td></tr> <tr> <td><!-- headline one : end -->
</td></tr> <tr> <td>Sharing good times and helping loved ones in bad times - that's why this place is home </td></tr> <tr> <td><!-- Author -->
</td></tr> <tr> <td class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colspan="2">By Lee Wei Ling </td></tr> <tr> <td><!-- show image if available -->
</td></tr></tbody></table> This is an era when international mobility is a privilege that many of our bright young men and women enjoy. The world is their oyster.

They were born and raised in Singapore. Some may have completed their tertiary education here, while others did so overseas. But I have cousins whose children have chosen to exchange their pink Singapore identity cards for United States passports.

If ever there is a major crisis in Singapore, those who would be able to emigrate, be accepted by another country and get jobs there would invariably be people who are wealthy and/or professionals with marketable skills.

The Government knows that talent is mobile and that Singapore must compete with other countries to offer an attractive living environment and vibrant culture so as to retain talented Singaporeans and attract foreign talent here.

I am a paediatric neurologist. I can pass any medical examination that Canada, the US, Australia or New Zealand may impose before accepting me as a high-skilled immigrant or 'exceptional alien'. Would I take such opportunities?

Perhaps in a moment of madness, when my yearning for hiking outweighs all the other factors that keep me in Singapore and make me want to fight for it if the need should arise.

I have been fortunate in having true friends in Singapore. They and my nuclear family are the main reason I will stay if foreign armies invade or bombs are dropped on Singapore.

In 1975, the year South Vietnam fell, I was a medical student training in paediatrics. Paediatricians are especially kind and decent people, for only such people would be drawn to work mainly with children. Still, there was serious talk of emigration among my paediatrician mentors. One did emigrate with his entire family.

My parents called a family meeting in their bedroom soon after Saigon fell. My father, Mr Lee Kuan Yew, then Singapore's Prime Minister, told us: 'Mama and I will stay here to the bitter end. Hsien Loong is already in the SAF and must do his duty. But the three of you need not feel obliged to stay.'

In the end, the Vietnamese communists did not march down Peninsular Malaysia, Singapore thrived, Hsien Yang followed Hsien Loong in accepting both the SAF and President's Scholarships, and my brothers both served out their bonds.

I myself had accepted a President's Scholarship in 1973 to study medicine at the University of Singapore. It was a five-year course for which the Public Service Commission paid me approximately $3,000 to $4,000 annually. Most of it went towards my medical school fees. I was bonded for eight years.

Subsequently, I accepted several more scholarships from the Government and have served a total of 16 years of bond. I stayed on in the public sector after completing my bond and am now in my 31st year in service. I have also had the opportunity to live and study overseas for four years. I enjoyed living in North America.

As a nature lover, I appreciated the magic of the seasons. I enjoyed observing spring trying to announce its arrival with crocuses that may subsequently be buried by a late spring snowfall.

Spring in its full-blown splendour of trees, with budding leaves in the most tender hues of green...The daffodils...The cherry blossoms in full bloom along the Charles River in Cambridge, Massachusetts...Running alone at first dawn or twilight, as petals fluttered down on you, was a magical experience.

Then fall with its burst of colours, turning what was an almost uniformly green landscape into a tapestry of yellow, gold, rust, red and green that met your eyes as you jogged. And then winter announcing the end of the year - time to go cross-country skiing or find an indoor track to run.

The changing seasons enhanced the quality of life in a way that only someone who has lived in New England for three years, as I did, can appreciate. But I always returned home. I never doubted that home was anything other than Singapore.

I suffered a serious surgical complication on Jan 9 and am now recuperating in Singapore General Hospital as I write this. I was in pain earlier this afternoon and, unable to do much, I dozed off. When I woke, my friend Gino was quietly sitting in the next room.

He had brought along with him brand-new running shorts and socks. I had messaged him at noon to ask him to get them for me but did not expect him to do so immediately. Gino is an excellent physiotherapist who helped me through an extremely difficult rehabilitation in 2002. We have been close friends since.

He had recently resigned from the Singapore Sports Council and we discussed the best location for him to set up shop. He gave me a sports massage and we chatted for some time until I felt up to doing my step aerobics.

This morning, one of my cousins dropped by, followed by my doctor-friends from the National Neuroscience Institute.

I am now staring at the skyline that I had stared at from the same window in 2002 and 2003. Then as now I was hospitalised for prolonged periods because of serious surgical accidents, which I later pulled through against great odds.

There are many more tall buildings now than there were in 2002 and 2003. This is a city-state. I am unlikely ever to go hiking again - in Hawaii or Bhutan, Kerala or New Zealand - my one and only real hobby.

What keeps me rooted here are my nuclear family and my friends. We enjoy good times together and help and support one another during bad times. They - rather than Olympic medals or National Day Parades - are the main reason why I feel this place is home and why it is worth fighting for if the need should arise.

The idea of dying does not scare me.
But to be willing to stay on and fight for Singapore - that goes beyond simple logic. It is the result of the emotional bond I have with those who are important in my life as well as with those for whom I feel a sense of responsibility.

Last edited:

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear SG

She might come from an illustrious familee but her philosophical differences from her family are as different from night and day. She might not be the politician in a family of politicians but like Marina Mahatir she uses her name for causes and values she believes in and in retrospect though its not stated these values diverge from that of the family she comes from.

Locke

Q

Qinhuang

The whole familee is out to do brainwashing.

Something is going wrong, i think someone is going up the lorry.

You see, suddenly we have this Wei Ling becoming so vocal engaging the news.

These signs are death signs. But we dont know who .

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2eygpxv.jpg

"Don't anyhow say ok? We both are rooted to Singapore"

Q

Qinhuang

Wah ! So rich, 2 to 3 ma-chies taking care of the Lees.

Pay by who ? Why asshole loong is not inside?

Why keep telling the Lee-family story, i thought singapore is not under monarchy.

So voters must live in the past, and let PAP dogs rule the future, what a familee joke!

Might as students study lee -familee history and have this topic in the GCE results.

2eygpxv.jpg

"Don't anyhow say ok? We both are rooted to Singapore"

sgnewsalte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Blood is thicker than water. Whatever difference of opinions they have, ultimately right or wrong she will stand on the side of her family.

Q

Qinhuang

where got different opinions?

in the end, they converge to the same pt.

since when wei ling fight for singapore and speak against the PAP baboons, they are many things to condemn.

did she make any impact?

born a Lee, will kaput a Lee ! If she really wants to speak up for the people, face-off malaysian cow Khaw

Blood is thicker than water. Whatever difference of opinions they have, ultimately right or wrong she will stand on the side of her family.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Viet Cong was thought that- by the Lee family- that they had imperial ambitions to conquer South-East Asia? I know it's easy from retrospection that it obviously didn't happen.

But I think the Lees are being so paranoid that they believed it. Maybe it was because what Nixon and Kissinger so believed that they told the MM at the time too.

In any case, it's pretty clear by now that the Viet Cong wanted simply to expel the US and reunite Vietnam under the Vietnamese communist party. After I read the history of the Vietnam War, the Viet Congs didn't have any imperial designs, beyond their immediate neighbours. But unlike the Soviets, they weren't exactly interested in Malaysia.

iamelite

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believed most educated singaporeans are held back by their parents.
They want to take care of their aged parents..
but if the parents passed away, I believe most will just emigrate out of singapore.
I'm one of them..

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
What keeps me rooted here are my nuclear family and my friends. We enjoy good times together and help and support one another during bad times. They - rather than Olympic medals or National Day Parades - are the main reason why I feel this place is home and why it is worth fighting for if the need should arise.

The idea of dying does not scare me. But to be willing to stay on and fight for Singapore - that goes beyond simple logic. It is the result of the emotional bond I have with those who are important in my life as well as with those for whom I feel a sense of responsibility.

Dear Dr. Lee,

i'll keep it short, no one would want to leave their loved ones behind and it's a no-brainer. but don't forget that humans are social animals, if they feel that their surrounding is unbearable, they will move on. face it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear SG

She might come from an illustrious familee but her philosophical differences from her family are as different from night and day. She might not be the politician in a family of politicians but like Marina Mahatir she uses her name for causes and values she believes in and in retrospect though its not stated these values diverge from that of the family she comes from.

Locke
Bro, impressed with you for matching her with Marina. 2 Daughters of 2 dictators that never gave a damn.

A year before enlistment of the dragon prince, old man sent his son to Police Academy to beef him up. Sister insisted on following. After a couple of sessions, the instructors felt that the sister was a better candidate for NS and PMship.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Viet Cong was thought that- by the Lee family- that they had imperial ambitions to conquer South-East Asia? I know it's easy from retrospection that it obviously didn't happen.

But I think the Lees are being so paranoid that they believed it. Maybe it was because what Nixon and Kissinger so believed that they told the MM at the time too.

In any case, it's pretty clear by now that the Viet Cong wanted simply to expel the US and reunite Vietnam under the Vietnamese communist party. After I read the history of the Vietnam War, the Viet Congs didn't have any imperial designs, beyond their immediate neighbours. But unlike the Soviets, they weren't exactly interested in Malaysia.

The Viet Cong threat to SE Asia was quite real. They were formerly supplied by the Chinese, then armed by the USSR and were very battle hardened from fighting the French & Yanks. Despite what you may think, SEA is valuable terratory for industrialising economies.

If you have the chance, make friends with the Viet-Chinese in Perth. They were the original boat people and have alot of stories to share. Some have been thru hell and are scarred for life even though they are living the dream suburban life now.

Be warned of the ethnic Vietnamese though ... in their heads the War is still going on.

A

Alu862

The Viet Cong threat to SE Asia was quite real. They were formerly supplied by the Chinese, then armed by the USSR and were very battle hardened from fighting the French & Yanks. Despite what you may think, SEA is valuable terratory for industrialising economies.

If you have the chance, make friends with the Viet-Chinese in Perth. They were the original boat people and have alot of stories to share. Some have been thru hell and are scarred for life even though they are living the dream suburban life now.

Be warned of the ethnic Vietnamese though ... in their heads the War is still going on.

The communist bogeyman was created by the Americans who supported a South Vietnamese dictatorship. Learn your history.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Communism is a US conjured bogeyman?

I guess you prefer to eat out of coconut husks instead of normal bowls?

Maybe you like having your family estate "liberated" the new government?

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lately we have been reading quite a bit of the family stories.

Two articles namely "Majie Recalls Life With The Lees" and "What Keeps Me Rooted To Singapore" about the story of a same family appear in the same day's paper.

Is this something rather unusual..?

The publishing of news is carefully orchestrated. The Straits Times does not publish these stories for nothing.

Shanyu yu lai feng man lou - The rising wind forbodes the coming storm!

Is something in the brewing..?

Last edited:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
After reading what she wrote, I have few points to make:

QUOTE]

bad times in familee?? must be quite rare.. probably when that time when the salmon air-flown from japan taste funny..:biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Dear Dr. Lee,

i'll keep it short, no one would want to leave their loved ones behind and it's a no-brainer. but don't forget that humans are social animals, if they feel that their surrounding is unbearable, they will move on. face it.
What keeps her here?
Her comfortable life?

jw5

Loyal
Lately we have been reading quite a bit of the family stories.

Two articles namely "Majie Recalls Life With The Lees" and "What Keeps Me Rooted To Singapore" about the story of a same family appear in the same day's paper.

Is this something rather unusual..?

The publishing of news is carefully orchestrated. The Straits Times does not publish these stories for nothing.

Shanyu yu lai feng man lou - The rising wind forbodes the coming storm!

Is something in the brewing..?
Seems like a lot of propaganda, eh bro? :smile: