• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stop accolades to sexist, racist, homophobic Lee Kuan Yew

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=2]Stop accolades to sexist, racist, homophobic Lee Kuan Yew[/h]

Mon, 30 May 2011
Roger Mitton

LET me not to the perception of sincere souls admit impediments, but there is something weighing mighty heavily on my chest.
It is the flow of effusive paens to that alleged exemplar of regional statemanship, that pocket dynamo who can turn a fetid swamp into a glizty gum-free metropolis.
Yes, it is that stroppy little Cagney of the East: the incomparable, the fantastical former Singapore Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew.
The exit of the old geezer is a big deal, no question about that.
And the gushing epitaphs that followed his decision to quit the cabinet suggest that those nutters who claimed the world was going to end earlier this month almost got it right.
In a Singapore context, it must seem that the world is ending.
And it is doing so not because Lee chose to leave of his own accord, nor because of a decision by the ruling People’s Action Party, headed by his son, the current Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.
No, it is happening because Lee and his colleagues got a kick up the bum when the PAP lost this month’s general election.
Wait! Sorry, the PAP did not really lose, though you might have thought so after the scenes of desolation among their ranks when the opposition won 6 of the 87 seats in parliament.
That kick for six signified many things, one of which was that Lee and his “disciplined democracy” was given a one-way ticket to the glue factory.
Which is where his sickly and rather spooky pre-obituaries ought to be consigned.
Not only because they are often full of inaccurate tosh, but because they employ sugary purple prose of a type unseen since Edward Bulwer-Lytton prowled London’s dark and stormy nights.
One of the more effusive was penned by a friend of mine, Parag Khanna, a senior research fellow at the New America Foundation in Washington DC.
Writing in Foreign Policy last week, Khanna quoted with approval Samuel Huntington’s comment that Lee has been among the 20th century’s most successful statesmen.
He also claimed that due to Lee’s stewardship, Singapore is “one of the few truly successful post-colonial nations.”
When you read these worshipful accolades, just recall misogynist Lee’s proposal that men should have two votes and women only one.
Remember also his racist reaction when his daughter in America called to say she had got engaged, and he blurted out: “Is he black?”
And do not forget that his homophobic government ordered those dying of AIDS to be double-bagged and incinerated within 24 hours.
None of this, nor the nepotism or the Geylang brothels or the vast squalid worker dormitories at Kaki Bukit are noted in the tributes.
Well, why should they be when we ought to focus on the way Lee transformed his backward island into what it is today?
According to the Straits Times, when Lee took over Singapore, it “had yet to learn to read and write, far less to create jobs.”
And apparently the folks not only had to communicate by smoke signals and carrier pigeons, but they lived in indescribable squalor.
Actually, the sycophants use the cliché phrase that it was an undeveloped “mosquito-ridden swamp.”
Then, bang, Lee arrived and overnight, well, over half a century, it was transformed into a veritable Xanadu of the East.
The problem with this nonsense is clear when you look at photographs of Singapore before Lee took over.
No swamps, but lots of majestic colonnaded streets full of cars and, hey, people reading and writing!
Another old battleaxe, Winston Churchill, once said that the darkest day of World War Two was not the blitz or Dunkirk, but the fall of Singapore.
Why would the wartime PM lament the loss of a mosquito-ridden swamp?
No, it is a canard perpetrated by the PAP and they have now had their comeuppance from the voters, who clearly realised that Lee’s day has come and gone.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/columns/stop-accolades-sexist-racist-homophobic-lee-kuan-yew

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=2]Happy birthday you old coot[/h]

Mon, 23 September 2013
Roger Mitton

Last week, Singapore’s post-independence hero, Lee Kuan Yew, marked his 90th birthday.
He has led an amazing life, and though a ruthless old curmudgeon, he has always been among the most rewarding interview subjects.
After our first joust in 1991, I attended Singapore’s National Day reception and saw him standing alone in a corner ringed by security men.
Taking a deep breath, I strolled over and thanked him for the interview. It had been a good one and Asiaweek had run it as the cover story.
Lee’s eyes narrowed and he gave me a long glacial gaze. To break the silence, I blurted out that I hoped he’d been happy with the story.
He pounced. “Oh? Is that important? Does it matter whether I am happy or unhappy with it?”
If only words would have come, earthy expletives preferably; but I was flummoxed, my mind swirling.
“Remind me, what interview was this?” he said.
His wife, a proverbial dragon lady, whom he described as “an intellectual equal” and “soulmate”, thankfully moved forward at that moment and I introduced myself to her.
She said: “You are in a difficult position as a journalist in Singapore, Mr Mitton. If you tell the truth you will get into trouble from my husband, if you don’t tell the truth you will get sacked by your editor.”
Lee cracked a sliver of a smile as if the oracle had spoken, then they turned away, dismissing me like a speck of dust brushed off a sleeve.
The dismissal turned out to be not only from their presence that evening, but from Singapore itself; for soon afterwards, the authorities refused to renew my visa, forcing me to leave the country.
Still, other interviews were later granted, and in a final long and fruitful session that revolved around the publication of his memoirs, Lee kindly signed a copy of his book for me.
On the title page, he wrote: “To Roger Mitton, with my best answers to your spiky questions. Lee Kuan Yew.” Ya gotta like the guy.
His dragon lady died three years ago and now he is 90 and knocking on heaven’s door. Let’s hope he goes quickly and painlessly, though that is not the way he treated his opponents.
They were many and all were cruelly dispatched: his rival People’s Action Party leader Ong Eng Guan, his country’s former president Devan Nair, its former solicitor general Francis Seow, and myriad pesky journalists.
None, however, suffered more brutal and malicious torture than the opposition Workers’ Party leader, Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam.
Lee loathed him because JBJ was fearless and refused to be cowed by the PM’s thuggery, and because he broke the stranglehold of Lee’s PAP and won the 1981 Anson by-election.
That result was a thunderbolt; it marked the first time since independence that one of Lee’s men had lost an election.
Once in parliament, where it was him against 74 government MPs, Jeyaretnam gave them hell. Lee and his front bench could not take it.
Grounds were found to charge JBJ with misreporting party accounts. He was convicted, jailed, deprived of his seat and disbarred from practising law.
Undaunted, he appealed to the Privy Council in England, as he was then entitled to do, and his conviction was quashed.
The Law Lords ruled that he and a party colleague had “suffered a grievous injustice. They have been fined, imprisoned and publicly disgraced for offences of which they are not guilty”.
The ruling did not faze Lee. He quickly abolished the right of appeal to the Privy Council and JBJ was gone.
Soon afterwards, so was I. But not before taking Jeyaretnam to lunch at that bastion of the establishment, the Singapore Cricket Club.
Boy, did that feel good. And anyway, I’d done three years as a foreign correspondent in Singapore; it was long enough.
JBJ died in 2008. And Time’s winged chariot is hurrying upon Lee. But for now: Happy Birthday, you vicious old coot. I mean it.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/columns/happy-birthday-you-old-coot

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...the idiot was exposed as a lky ball carrier....
he quoted from his book thinking that he had the silver bullet.......but soon found out that lky was fond of making boastful claims in his books....
true to his slimey character, he dropped the quote from his signature and now turned against lky and hope that the naive will be fooled......truly retarded.