• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

LPG Cylinders & Brands.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will like to find out if all LPG in all the gas cylinders we buy in SINgapore, are they same? We have Shell ( Shellane), BP Gas ( now no more), Esso, Mobile ( still have?) & Solar & others.

Have been using LPG gas cylinders for many years...any difference between all the brands? other than prices ( they are a cartel)??

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is singapore , everything is a cartel

I know, the weight is 12.9kg right across the brands for the household cylinders, is the LPG in the tank, the same across brands?? If they are the same, & prices are almost the same...why do consumer have to choose which brand??

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All gas are same.
Only some try to con consumer. Eg. 12kg they only provide 10kg. Consumer will not know. Unless consumer weight it when delivery and then weight it after empty.
Actually gas is cheap The transportation and delivery charge is nearly half the tank cost.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh dear, stop using gas to cook and invest in an electric induction cooker.

Remember to also get compatible pots that can be placed on top of the induction cooker. Sometimes they come in a set.

Happy shopping and cooking!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you have a yard and/or patio at home, a stainless steel bbq grill plus range equipped with a removable propane tank would be ideal for outdoor cooking. in emergency situations such as blackouts, gas line cutoffs, and damage to property especially the kitchen area, you can still cook your meals outdoors. it's the most independent cooking system ever. i keep 2 tanks all the time, with 1 as backup. i also have a water distiller, a 4-person tent, air mattresses, pump, transportable generator, 1st aid backpacks, extra gallons of portable water, emergency rations, life jackets, bicycles and an inflatable rubber dinghy. chance favors the prepared mind. :biggrin:

GeylangPimp

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will like to find out if all LPG in all the gas cylinders we buy in SINgapore, are they same? We have Shell ( Shellane), BP Gas ( now no more), Esso, Mobile ( still have?) & Solar & others.

Have been using LPG gas cylinders for many years...any difference between all the brands? other than prices ( they are a cartel)??

1. LPG is liquified petroleum gas produced by the refineries in Singapore. It is mainly made up of a mixture of propane and butane. Across the brands they are generally the same.
2. Shellane is a very old name which became ShellGas and now SingGas after Shell sold to a Thai LPG company. BP, Caltex and Wernes are no more. Esso and Mobil are generally the same company. The rest are new companies formed after taking over from BO and Caltex and Wernes.
3. Prices are generally the same and fixed by the companies so do you consider this a cartel? I could only say that in the past where only the main brands of the petroleum companies exists like BP, Caltex and before Esso and Mobile are one company all these companies meet in the same room to agree on price and the dates to change the prices (except Esso they will not join those meetings but wait outside say in a coffeshop and will be informed by the participants informally). So is this price fixing?

GeylangPimp

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know, the weight is 12.9kg right across the brands for the household cylinders, is the LPG in the tank, the same across brands?? If they are the same, & prices are almost the same...why do consumer have to choose which brand??

For household it could be 12.7kg or 14kg or 11.3kg for household of course there is the 4.5kg mini also but for steamboat. Most popular I must say is the 12.7kg. Consumers will chose base on the services of the supplier and of course promotional discounts using discount coupons.

GeylangPimp

Alfrescian
Loyal
All gas are same.
Only some try to con consumer. Eg. 12kg they only provide 10kg. Consumer will not know. Unless consumer weight it when delivery and then weight it after empty.
Actually gas is cheap The transportation and delivery charge is nearly half the tank cost.

Very unlikely that companies will con consumers with lesser weights. All companies are I believe ISO9000 companies and with their reputation at stake I am sure they will not such a silly thing.

But there are the illegal decanters. They may use large 50kg cylinders (gas is cheaper) to refill the smaller household cylinders and refilling them lesser than the printed weight. Illegal decanters have copy (imitation) seals to reseal the cylinders making them look originally sealed by the legal producers. 50kg cylinders very often do not fully discharge all its content often leaving some residue or liquid that is unable to vapourize into gas, over time more and more of this liquid may be collected and not wasted as it van be decanted into smaller cylinders too and make them heavy but not useful.

GeylangPimp

Alfrescian
Loyal
I found that the flame from Solar gas is hotter than Shell's flame :eek:

As mentioned all LPG brands are LPG and generally give the same heat except for towngas which is not LPG giving much less heat. Heat is measured in BTU. So one use more towngas compare to LPG. Also LPG is non toxic while towngas is. Say in a suicide case the victim of LPG will die of suffocation or lack of oxygen while victim of piped gas may die of poison.

GeylangPimp

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you have a yard and/or patio at home, a stainless steel bbq grill plus range equipped with a removable propane tank would be ideal for outdoor cooking. in emergency situations such as blackouts, gas line cutoffs, and damage to property especially the kitchen area, you can still cook your meals outdoors. it's the most independent cooking system ever. i keep 2 tanks all the time, with 1 as backup. i also have a water distiller, a 4-person tent, air mattresses, pump, transportable generator, 1st aid backpacks, extra gallons of portable water, emergency rations, life jackets, bicycles and an inflatable rubber dinghy. chance favors the prepared mind. :biggrin:

Doomsday prep? Anyway its always good to have an extra cylinder incase if one is cooking halfway and run out of gas. But space in sinkie pigeon hole could be a constrain but investing in a 4.5kg mini tank helps. Problem is a normal take may have a deposit of say $60 per tank but a small 4.5kg tank's deposit could be $120 per tank, this if my recollection did not fail me its almost 20 years ago.

I have 3 tanks at home, each for indoor kitchen, outdoor cooking and bbq stove. If one runs out I could use the other to replace.

Time to get back to pimping. Goodnight.

Last edited:

GeylangPimp

Alfrescian
Loyal
I almost forget to say that cost per BTU the cost of producing the same heat LPG is always cheaper than towngas, LPG has 4 times higher BTU than piped gas. I've lost touch with the formulation.