• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Goodbye TELETEXT, Hello Internet!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE - MediaCorp has announced that it will be terminating the analogue information service, Teletext, from end of this month.

Remember how we used to scour through Teletext using the four coloured buttons on our TV remote control? Be it for weather updates, flight details, or stock prices. Then, it was the convenient avenue to head to if you need such information. Not surprisingly, as newer, more convenient digital platforms emerge, the number of people using the non-interactive Teletext dwindled through the years.

MediaCorp has thus decided to abolish the channel.

I have used the Teletext for many years, before the advent of the Internet & Smartphones. Even when there was the Internet I was still using the Teletext, only when the smart phone arrived with the Apps, it was goodbye Teletext.

Honestly, in its so many years in existence, I know only the page for (1) 4D, TOTO & Big sweep, (2) Soccer or sports results & (3) cheap but not real time monitoring of shares, not like some, who could afford Reuters or Bloomberg or both; where I can see the movement & call my remiser.

So, now it is good bye TELETEXT...we will miss ya!! :biggrin:

===============================================================================================

Here is the press release from MediaCorp:

Effective 30 September 2013, MediaCorp will discontinue Teletext, an analogue service that provides general information on news, stock prices, airport, weather and other text-based information.

Over the years, technological advancements have enabled information to be readily accessible online, via mobile devices and tablets as well as connected TV and outdoor screens. MediaCorp and other organisations which provide such information on the newer digital platforms have seen growth in usage. Conversely, the number of users of the non-interactive Teletext service has declined over the years.

Mr Philip Koh, Managing Director for Convergent Media, MediaCorp says, "Given the antiquated technology, the availability of alternative sites for information and the declining usage of Teletext, we have decided to discontinue the service and channel resources to newer services to better serve our customers and reach a wider audience."

ChiKopPow

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All those still using teletext to view equities prices and have no idea of using internet will die cock stand.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Teletext is just too slow in today's world. Can't imagine reading a screen with only text.
However I often read the running text that appears at the bottom of the screen on channels like the BBC, CNN, CNBC,....