• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone remember the excuse given on the Brompton Bicycles?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They were value for money, they have a life time warranty? they were....who was in charge?? :rolleyes:

SINGAPORE - The National Parks Board (NParks) assistant director behind the controversial purchase of 26 Brompton bicycles has been charged with providing false information to government officials.

Bernard Lim Yong Soon, 42, allegedly told Ministry of National Development (MND) officials that he did not have a personal relationship with Lawrence Lim Chun How, a director of BikeHop Singapore that won the contract to supply NParks with Brompton bikes.

Bernard Lim was also charged in a district court on Thursday morning with abetting Lawrence Lim to lie about their friendship to MND officials conducting an internal audit on the tender.

The NParks' purchase of 26 Brompton bikes for $2,200 each from BikeHop came under scrutiny for irregularities in the tender process. The MND suspended Lim and referred the case to the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau last July. His case will be heard again on Sept 27. Those guilty of providing false information to a public servant face up to a year in jail, a fine of up to $5,000, or both.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://publichouse.sg/categories/co...-bikes-saga-khaw-says-he-did-not-jump-the-gun

Brompton bikes saga - Khaw says he did not jump the gun

0bb2d4215d5de184c10e9f50ee1d9553_L.jpg

Minister for National Development, Khaw Boon Wan, posted the following entry on the MND Singapore blogsite on 1 August. In it, Mr Khaw explains the events leading to the internal audit of the Nparks' purchase of 26 foldable Brompton bikes, which has been at the centre of controversy following public outcry over how these were purchased.

Here is Mr Khaw's blog entry:

I do not condone wrong-doing. When it is within my purview, I will do my best to get to the bottom of it. Wrong-doers will be exposed and appropriately punished. The proper due process will be followed to ensure fairness for all, based on the law and evidence.

That was how I dealt with the NKF and the Ren Ci incidents, when I was in MOH.

This is the same approach now that I am in MND.

After Zaobao reported on the NParks’ purchase of 26 foldable bikes in Jun 22, I discussed the matter with CEO, NParks and PS/MND. The first thing was for NParks to look into the matter. I wanted answers to two questions: (a) why foldable bikes?; (b) how was the supplier chosen?

On Jun 30, NParks reported to me on their internal findings. After reading their report, I was satisfied that the decision on foldable bikes could be justified. Not all bikes in NParks need to be foldable, but for the heavy users who need to access places with no convenient public transport, such staff could be issued foldable bikes.

However, on the second question, I was not happy with the procurement outcome. I thought they could have gotten a better deal, even though they had adhered to the prevailing Government procurement rules. Based on what I had read of the NParks report, I had no reason to question the integrity of the officer(s) involved.

For thoroughness, on the same day, I commissioned an MND Internal Audit Team to work with NParks and dig impartially and more thoroughly into the transaction. Besides verifying if the procurement was conducted in a fit and proper manner, I also wanted them to see if this episode would yield lessons for us to improve our overall procurement system. This was on Jun 30.

While the MND Audit was on-going, I posted a blog on Jul 4, to update the public on the subject based on what NParks’ internal inquiry and the MND audit team had ascertained at the time. Did I jump the gun?

I don’t think so. There had been many Singaporeans writing to me expressing concern about the issue. The public have a right to know, and I thought that I should share this interim finding with the public, so long as what I disclosed did not affect the on-going audit.

I wrote then, that the decision to buy foldable bikes was justified. However, to signal my dissatisfaction and to convey a public message (not just to NParks but to all MND officers) that we should always seek value for money and ensure contestability when procuring goods or services, I added that I thought the procurement could have been better handled and NParks could have gotten a better deal.

What I did not mention in my blog was our preliminary investigation findings. I could not say much then (and I still can’t), as doing so will compromise investigation.

Meanwhile, from July 14, some netizens began to comment on the friendship between one NParks officer and the owners of the company supplying the bikes. The Internal Audit Team noted the observation while continuing with its investigation and interviews.

On Jul 20, the MND Audit was completed. The findings of the audit (a) confirmed that the NParks’ reason for the purchase of foldable bikes on staff productivity grounds was valid, (b) verified that the procurement formally observed and complied with the existing rules. However the audit also uncovered certain discrepancies which suggest a possibility of bias.

Over that weekend, I discussed the audit findings with PS/MND and we decided to report the matter to and share the audit findings with the CPIB.

On Jul 23, PS/MND reported the matter to Director/CPIB. The next day, on Jul 24, we issued a press statement and suspended the NParks officer from duty.

This is how the subject was dealt with in MND during the past one month: firm but measured action, balancing between the resolute pursuit of justice and the need for fairness and due process. Along the way, we have benefited from both our internal investigations and the many views received through emails and expressed in the main and the new media. We thank all the people who came forth with their views. I share their common objective to ensure that taxpayers’ money should be well spent.

The matter is now in the hands of the CPIB. If there is wrong-doing, appropriate punishment will be meted out. I am mindful how this episode may be affecting the morale of my officers in NParks. I think we should be fair and not demoralise and tarnish the reputation of NParks as the department has many dedicated officers who continue to work hard each day to make Singapore a Garden City for the well-being of all of us.

Please visit the MND Facebook to leave a comment.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Brompton toh loh wu lifetime warranty?:confused: 5 yrs frame n 2 yrs parts lah...moi huan parts no warranty leow...:(:biggrin:

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
many links to cow justification of brompton bikes purchase have been disallowed.

why why why??????????????

that speaks a lot about the media in singapore. hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It was a honest mistake....that is why the old credit card advertisement sprouted this 'wise' sentence " members have their privileges".....

Himawari

Alfrescian
Loyal
kbw said: Based on what I had read of the NParks report, I had no reason to question the integrity of the officer(s) involved.

Talking like farting. 讲话好像放屁!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kbw said: Based on what I had read of the NParks report, I had no reason to question the integrity of the officer(s) involved.

Talking like farting. 讲话好像放屁!

Anyone want to regurgitate what he said about Yaw Shin Loong, & not long after, the 'yi loy san cheong, PALM" blasted the "mango' from the tree??? He is anotehr 'amusing' chap..every time he says something of "wisdom"...what they Hokkien would say, "tua door teng"..."RUBBER BAND back"...he is the official RUBBER BAND MAN" ha ha ha ha

Last edited:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
01 January 2000
mr wang bakes good karma
MR KHAW BOON WAN ON THE NATIONAL KIDNEY FOUNDATION, 20TH JULY 2005, 3.00 PM AT PARLIAMENT SITTING
http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.sg/2000/01/khaw.html
For want of a nail, the shoe was lost….
It’s not unexpected that Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan came to the defence of Thomson Medical so quickly. After all founder Dr Cheng Wei Chen did parlay his $10 million investment into $513 millions.
http://singaporenotes.wordpress.com/author/singaporenotes/page/7/

How STUPID can Khaw be??? It was Khaw who read out the letter from TT Durai's daughter in parliament, an appeal to PM Lee to help restore her father's honour.TT Durai's daughter appeals to PM Lee - SgForums.com
PM Lee,pl use people who are real clever/smart,pl do not let Khaw have anything to do with our money,SURE DIE ONE /TWO/THREE

Khaw B W = 認賊為友.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Using 21st century slang, liars are called truth-benders.

In Sinkieland, LEEgime goes a step further to call poor people the needy.

The air benders, the water benders, the fire benders..and now, introducing the 'truth benders'...gee! the Avatar forgot to learn..I know the 60.1% are back benders!!