• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Australia - The Lucky Country

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
AUSTRALIANS have been given respite from the sweltering heat of recent weeks just in time for today's Australia Day celebrations.

Beer, beach, barbecues, cricket, tennis, fireworks and relaxation - not even global financial turmoil can stand in the way of Australians celebrating our national day.

For Dara Godfrey, 27, of Melbourne, Australia Day is about paying tribute to all those who fought for the nation, as well as a day to be thankful for the life we have.

"It's about celebrating how great Australia is and just being together with your best mates," she said.

"We do really have a great life in Australia and are really lucky."

Ms Godfrey will be spending her day with friends at the Big Day Out festival wearing an Australia bikini and with an Australian flag around her shoulders, but yesterday she was relaxing in the park.

Melburnians who won't be attending the Big Day Out will have plenty of other options. There's the Australian Open tennis action at Melbourne Park for sports fans, and the largest BMX competition in the southern hemisphere starts at the Waterfront City Piazza from 8pm.

For those looking for something a little different, the Great Australia Day Duck Race starts in the middle of the Yarra River at 4pm, and there will be fireworks at Federation Square from 9.30pm.

In Sydney, the official events start at 8am in the Royal Botanic Gardens with dancing by the Woggan-ma-gule people on their sacred land. Throughout the day Sydneysiders can choose from a range of options including horse races at Royal Randwick, wheelchair racing at Circular Quay, a free concert at The Rocks, a barbecue at Hyde Park and a vintage car show in Macquarie Street.

And for those feeling a little nostalgic, a big screen featuring past Australian television shows such as Skippy will be set up in Hyde Park.

Those hoping for a more cultural experience can head to the city's museums, where the entry fees will be waived or heavily discounted.

Firework displays begin at Darling Harbour at 8.30pm.

In Brisbane there's an Australia Day festival at South Bank, a Barefoot Ball at Moorooka and the Governor of Queensland, Penelope Wensley, is inviting people to an open day at Government House in Paddington.

West Australian Governor Ken Michael has also invited the public over. Government House Gardens will play host to a two-hour concert featuring local talent.

For South Australians, the best option could be to head to Adelaide Oval to watch Australia try to square up the one-day cricket series against South Africa.

In Canberra, locals can head to Commonwealth Park for the Australia Day breakfast, followed by a flag-raising ceremony and then a citizenship ceremony, before finishing the day at Lake Burley Griffin with a fireworks display

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This type of talk is something a typical Singaporean may not have the capacity to understand. But I would like Australia to become a republic and use that day as an Australia Day

Mick Dodson wants Australia Day date changed
January 26, 2009 09:21am

THE 2009 Australian of the Year Mick Dodson has called for Australia to change the date of its national day because it isolates indigenous people.

Just moments after accepting the prestige award, the 58-year-old law professor signalled a clear determination to use it as a national platform for his people, The Courier-Mail reports .

"I think we have to have a date that is more inclusive than the 26th of January, which is the date that is chosen mainly because the First Fleet landed at Sydney Cove," he said.

However, this morning he said: "I'm not suggesting we move the date. I'm saying that we should have a conversation about that."

He said it was not just Aboriginal people who saw January 26 as a day in which "their country was invaded by people from another country".

Prof Dodson said not to talk about moving the date would be "another act of exclusion" towards indigenous people.

"We haven't (had) a role in deciding it was going to be the 26th of January," he said.

"Who made that decision? It didn't include us. Let's have a talk about it and let's settle it once and for all."

Professor Dodson accepted the Australian of the Year award at a ceremony outside Parliament House late yesterday in front of an enthusiastic crowd – several dressed in Australian flags.

A self-described "persistent bugger", Professor Dodson said many indigenous Australians saw Australia Day as the day "our world came crashing down".

"Many of our people call it invasion day," he said.

However Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, who lauded Professor Dodson as a courageous and humble man who worked to bring the nation together, immediately dismissed the idea.

A Government spokesman said Professor Dodson was a great Australian and a truly worthy recipient of the award whose advice was valued.

"However, the Government has no plans to, and will not be, changing the date of Australia Day or the name of Australia Day," the spokesman said.

Professor Dodson said he was anxious about accepting the Australian of the Year nomination but eventually decided it was in the best interests of the country.

"I talked long and hard with my family about this," he said.

"I'm humbled, but I'm enormously proud to receive it and I'm going to do my very best."

With AAP and The Courier-Mail

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
they should have a lebanon day too

You have to be more precise ... We need a Christian Lebanon Day and a Muslim Lebanon Day. Otherwise, these Lebbies will celebrate with guns and not firecrackers :biggrin:

How about a Singapore Day?

If all nationalities in Australia have their special "country of origin" public holidays, we do not need to work anymore :biggrin: