• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tooth-picking with Lim Swee Say

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to be told that I should never take advantage of freebies even if you thought it came with whatever bill you pay, especially not if they are meant for the poor and hungry. It reflects poor upbringing and a lack of moral compass.

Can you imagine my surprise when I read that our Minister has gone on state media to wax so lyrically about how he appreciated the incredible design of the toothpicks at Din Tai feng restaurant that he always made sure he picked up half a box of them before leaving? It has changed my perception and values system since then.

Just the other day, for example, I was at Paragon for my usual morning appointment with my lasik surgeon. After the session, as I was paying my bill, I stretched my hand forward to reach for a mint or two. But no! what the heck! How could I not appreciate the wide assortment of mints there in the largish bowl? So instead of two that I would normally pick up, this time I grasped what must have been half a bowl of mints and pushed them into my coat pockets. No need to feel sheepish about my act. If one is showing a great deal of appreciation, one need not have to hide it with some silly grin. I am not a Minister, otherwise I would have a tale or two to share with my citizens on the quality of those mints!

As I sauntered towards Orchard MRT station to take a ride home, I had to stop at the Marriot for a toilet break. It was such a relief from the hot humid weather, and I did not fail to appreciate the fine texture of their toilet paper, so I unreeled half a roll home with me. I also observed that they have nice paper hand towels, so I snapped up half a dispenser.

Nothing to feel guilty about. I am just showing appreciation for all things beautifully crafted and designed.

Now don't get me started about the last SIA flight I was on. I couldnt believe my eyes and ears until I saw what lovely salt and pepper shaker sets they have in the First Class flights......

Toothpicks are nothing...

Last edited:

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
When it comes to LSS, DTF is honored. When it comes to you, that's just being cheap. However I do appreciate LSS' point which seems to have been lost. Show excellence and attention to detail, please your customers, even in small things. DTF got magnificent publicity by doing that.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Poor DTF! Intimidated by the stature of a Minister! The usual 2 eggs for my char kuey teow rationale.

Bro, pls help me report Ministerial grand abuse! A la Nassim Jade..

When it comes to LSS, DTF is honored. When it comes to you, that's just being cheap. However I do appreciate LSS' point which seems to have been lost. Show excellence and attention to detail, please your customers, even in small things. DTF got magnificent publicity by doing that.

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

From now on, DTF would have to allocate additional budget for toothpicks. I expect it to increased multiple fold. They can no longer stop diners from appreciating their well crafted toothpicks can they?

Thanks, Ministar Lim ! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
We only knew because the cockerel crowed. Maybe only tip of iceberg. Dunno what else have been lifted from our GLCs, TCs, reserves, and sovereign funds.

Really, we may be paying a lot of connoiseurs and epicurean vultures.

From now on, DTF would have to allocate additional budget for toothpicks. I expect it to increased multiple fold. They can no longer stop diners from appreciating their well crafted toothpicks can they?

Thanks, Ministar Lim ! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: