• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Schools in Iskandar

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi mummymoo,

Did you check out Fairview? How's it?

Hi - Sorry for the delay in posting!

Yes, we made our way to the school which is curiously situated in a "Sports Complex" which also housed several other buildings. The school is extremely modest in terms of facilities but we were told a new campus is being built nearby and will be ready in two years' time.

What the school lacked in facilities, they more than made up in the their enthusiasm and belief in the IB programme. The teachers seem to be genuinely happy to be teaching at the school and the students seem to be very confident and articulate.

Before I go on, I must state again that I am pro-IB so they were preaching to the choir, as far as I'm concerned :wink: In addition to the IB programme, students are also given an option to sit for their IGCSE O levels and they can do up to six O level subjects, split over two years. The only thing that bothered me a little is the fact that to undertake the IB Diploma, students at the moment have to go to Fairview's boarding campus in KL.

There is an entrance exam on Math and English that each child has to sit for before the school determines which level the child will be accepted in. Application fee is RM500. Fees for Grade 7 (12-13 yr old) is at RM9750 per semester (two semesters a year). Each semester has an enrolment fee of RM2,500 (for Middle Year/Sec level). There are two excursions each year - one local and one overseas - and these costs are covered within the enrolment fees.

I have a good feeling about the school and chances are, I would put my child there.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds good!

Yes, we made our way to the school which is curiously situated in a "Sports Complex" which also housed several other buildings. The school is extremely modest in terms of facilities but we were told a new campus is being built nearby and will be ready in two years' time.

What the school lacked in facilities, they more than made up in the their enthusiasm and belief in the IB programme. The teachers seem to be genuinely happy to be teaching at the school and the students seem to be very confident and articulate.

Before I go on, I must state again that I am pro-IB so they were preaching to the choir, as far as I'm concerned :wink: In addition to the IB programme, students are also given an option to sit for their IGCSE O levels and they can do up to six O level subjects, split over two years. The only thing that bothered me a little is the fact that to undertake the IB Diploma, students at the moment have to go to Fairview's boarding campus in KL.

There is an entrance exam on Math and English that each child has to sit for before the school determines which level the child will be accepted in. Application fee is RM500. Fees for Grade 7 (12-13 yr old) is at RM9750 per semester (two semesters a year). Each semester has an enrolment fee of RM2,500 (for Middle Year/Sec level). There are two excursions each year - one local and one overseas - and these costs are covered within the enrolment fees.

I have a good feeling about the school and chances are, I would put my child there.

Fire3

Alfrescian
Loyal

Have you considered excelsior international school @ Seri Alam which is going to commence in aug? Teaching staff all come with good credential. They are also offering IB and still giving the pioneer batch discount.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal

https://www.ibo.org/school/search/index.cfm?programmes=&country=MY&region=&find_schools=Find

Looks like you dont have much of a choice for IB schools in JB.

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing Mummymoo

The fees seems affordable and more importantly, glad to hear about the teachers being passionate which is crucial. Did they mention the arrangement to go to KL for IB program is a temporary measure or they need certain numbers before offering IB in JB?

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you considered excelsior international school @ Seri Alam which is going to commence in aug? Teaching staff all come with good credential. They are also offering IB and still giving the pioneer batch discount.

Hi - not really considered because at the moment only Fairview is an IB World school; meaning they have been accredited to offer IB programme from pri to diploma.

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing Mummymoo

The fees seems affordable and more importantly, glad to hear about the teachers being passionate which is crucial. Did they mention the arrangement to go to KL for IB program is a temporary measure or they need certain numbers before offering IB in JB?

Hi, they said they would offer it if they have enough students but I'm not sure if I should be hopeful...also because I think the experienced teachers would be in KL and not in JB for that level.

dingdongrc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks mummymoo for the sharing. Although I have no intention yet to send my kids to an International school in JB, but am definitely keen to find out more. Like you, I am very interested in the IB programme.

Icebaby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mummymoo, thanks for the insightful sharing :smile: keeping my options open as we still have 3 more years to go..

Fire3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi - not really considered because at the moment only Fairview is an IB World school; meaning they have been accredited to offer IB programme from pri to diploma.

I would encourage you to find out. Open day may not be a good source. Fairview JB is only a candidate school, not world school status although the KL campus yes. You should find out why the JB has not been accorded world school status after many years.The same goes to Excelsior which has to be a candidate school first before being assessed by the IB Board. The key is to look at the teaching staff. Fairview JB has too many attrition rate, both in teaching staff and student, not because of the infrastructure but precisely because of the constant turnover of staff. It is worth making more research..

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would encourage you to find out. Open day may not be a good source. Fairview JB is only a candidate school, not world school status although the KL campus yes. You should find out why the JB has not been accorded world school status after many years.The same goes to Excelsior which has to be a candidate school first before being assessed by the IB Board. The key is to look at the teaching staff. Fairview JB has too many attrition rate, both in teaching staff and student, not because of the infrastructure but precisely because of the constant turnover of staff. It is worth making more research..

Hi, you raised good points and it seems you may have more intimate knowledge about both schools. Mind telling me how you got your info? PM me if you think it's better. My limited knowledge is based on what I have read about the schools and the parents, teachers and students I spoke to at the schools I visited. I have my own set of criteria when looking at schools and at the moment Fairview seems to fulfil almost all of my requirements.

Fire3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, you raised good points and it seems you may have more intimate knowledge about both schools. Mind telling me how you got your info? PM me if you think it's better. My limited knowledge is based on what I have read about the schools and the parents, teachers and students I spoke to at the schools I visited. I have my own set of criteria when looking at schools and at the moment Fairview seems to fulfil almost all of my requirements.

No personal experience though spoke with some of the teaching staff there who have left since. Source from friends, neighbour and some other parents that have experience in Fairview JB. All of them have since moved their children to IPC, which is the closest they can get to IB for primary level. Excelsior is the new school offering IB, I can't speak of any. You can find out the details from either their spore HQ of the school itself. Hopes this helps

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can I know what and where is IPC?

No personal experience though spoke with some of the teaching staff there who have left since. Source from friends, neighbour and some other parents that have experience in Fairview JB. All of them have since moved their children to IPC, which is the closest they can get to IB for primary level. Excelsior is the new school offering IB, I can't speak of any. You can find out the details from either their spore HQ of the school itself. Hopes this helps

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing. Hopefully more IB schools are in the pipeline

IPC stands for International Primary Curriculum. It is on par with IB in all aspect. As far as I know, 2 school are offering this in Iskandar. Austin and Tensby.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi All,

you mean edu city school fees are much more expensive then SG??

Hi all, I am pretty new to this forum and would like to hopefully find out more about education for young ones in jb. Are we allowed to put our children in local chinese government schools if we r singaporeans? Thinking of semi retiring in iskandar soon but have 2 boys 4 and 8 yrs old. Would appreciate any input...