• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bee Hoon: Siang Hui to DIE LONELY!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Life is not only about work, it's also about family
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to Thursday's letter, 'Maternity leave not a perk' by Mr Yeh Siang Hui. I feel upset and angry at the unfair remarks he made but most of all, I feel sorry for his mother who went through the hardship and sacrifices shared by most mothers to bring him into the world and bring him up to be what he is today.
This person who wrote this comes across to me as selfish and self-centred. He probably has not shared joy and sorrow with a sibling (if he had any), he probably is single and probably has no intention to have children if he does get married. He is successful in his work but he will not have anyone to share his success and continue his legacy. He will probably be lonely in old age and not experience the joy and love children bring and that childless couples yearned so hard for.
I am a stay-at-home mother of three. My third child is the result of an unplanned pregnancy. People quizzed me on carrying on the pregnancy and I did think of terminating it with their constant rants on the rising cost of living. Luckily I did not or I would not have the joy and love he brings as he approaches his 'terrible two'. I am also fortunate to have a supportive and understanding husband. It is hard living on just one income with the rising cost of living at the back of our minds. Balance is the key as we have to learn to trust each other's decision and put our needs before our wants. We are thankful that we have come this far.
Not all couples can afford to have the wife not work. I have female friends who work out of necessity to help provide for their families. On top of this and work pressure, they have to face colleagues like Mr Yeh who make uncalled-for remarks. I have encountered male friends and relatives who made remarks like Mr Yeh on work accountibility until their wives became pregnant and they become parents themselves, which makes them more understanding of working mothers' plight. I hope Mr Yeh becomes one some day.
I have always admired women who try to balance work and motherhood. It is no easy feat. Mothers have no days off, no annual leave, no pay, no bonus, unaccountable units of work to be done, no one to cover duties when pregnant again, no promotion prospects, no rewards, no employer to recognise for a job well done and, most important, no way to quit, even if you don't like it sometimes. At the end of the day, the joy and love from the kids make the job satisfying and give most mothers the push to face the world another day.
Working mothers contribute not only to their company, but also to society as Singapore depends on human resources. I urge Mr Yeh and other like-minded people to be more understanding of working mothers. Life is not only about work, it's also about family. If your mother had not made sacrifices to have you, you would not be here to enjoy the success of Singapore. Wong Bee Hoon (Ms)

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I I am a stay-at-home mother of three. My third child is the result of an unplanned pregnancy. People quizzed me on carrying on the pregnancy and I did think of terminating it with their constant rants on the rising cost of living. >

She obviously have not heard of contraceptives?, no?, condoms? no?, I have often heard woman give excuses on why they have an 'accident', "my hubby doesn't like to use condoms", you expect people not to ask her about the preganancy, afterall you already have 2 kids? and with the constantly rising cost & other factors in Singapore, raising more children is not very condusive. Either the parents go bonkers or the kids, and this is not a laughing matter!.

We have a government here that is so MONEY FACE, how do you expect the corporate world not to follow?

Woman gets preganant, the bosses or the company you work for are never pleased. But then again, with Money, Power & Connection or some 'membership' (pxp...), that is, a different story. You are the 'garden variety type,...getting pregnant in Singapore coporate world, is a CRIME!:biggrin:

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a parent myself and I am really facing a headache bringing up my child. I understand the difficulties of being either a working mum or a stay-at-home mum.

What i dun understand is this sense of entitlement from mothers.

Give me seats in MRT.
Give me longer maternity leave.
Give me flexible work (which means less work) but I want same promotion opportunities.

COME ON LAH. The world is unfair and about choices. Every decision we make affects us and we made that choice. knn

kitkat

Alfrescian
Loyal
If your mother had not made sacrifices to have you, you would not be here to enjoy the success of Singapore.

I thought it's the PAP I should be thankful for :biggrin: