• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The RETIREMENT thread

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retirement is when you work because you want to and not because you have to.

When one is working and receiving earned income it is not retirement. Passive income such as dividend and rental income are OK. To me a retired person would not have to attend meeting with business associates or travelling overseas for business trip.

xxkiwi

Alfrescian
Loyal
agree... financial independence is the key.
It really also depends on onces desire on lifestyle, no or very liability is very important and with some passive income and savings enough to run thru the years.

I retired well before 50. You can retire at any age once you have achieved financial independence.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
no or very liability is very important and with some passive income and savings enough to run thru the years.

You're stating the obvious. Having sufficient passive income and assets is what defines financial independence.

If you don't have sufficient passive income and savings then you are not financially independent.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You're stating the obvious. Having sufficient passive income and assets is what defines financial independence.

If you don't have sufficient passive income and savings then you are not financially independent.

And Singapore is the easiest place in the world to achieve financial independence.

If not for my silly mistake I made a decade ago, today I would be financially independent using just half the grey matter I have.

The government of Singapore makes it so bloody easy to achieve our life's goals.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Agree.

Passive income gives you boundless opportunities to be active !:o

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retirement to me means:

No more financial commitment to the banks. All your properties are fully paid.
Getting monthly passive incomes from the rental of your properties and annual dividends from stocks and shares.
Reward yourself with a slower and less hectic life to enjoy what you have been missing during your younger years when you had struggled to earn your keep.
Not having to worry if there'll be food on the table tomorrow.
Finally, don't show off and be too spendthrift, otherwise, you'll likely to squander away all your savings in no time and soon, it can become a disaster.