• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Netizens' Outcry Over Perm Sec's Cooking Trip Caught Global News Media's Attention

sgnewsalte

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is the power of the internet. Such thing will not be possible in the past with the old media. Netizens' outrage in cyberspace over Tan Yong Soon's cooking trip to Paris have caught the attention of international news media - Reuters.

http://www.reuters.com/article/life...N20090113?feedType=RSS&feedName=lifestyleMolt

Singapore bureaucrat's cooking trip sparks outcry
Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:19am EST

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - A Singaporean bureaucrat who wrote about taking his family on an expensive cooking course in France has sparked ire from locals, with some accusing him of extravagance given the city-state is in recession.

Tan Yong Soon, a senior official at Singapore's Environment Ministry, learnt to truss chicken and cut vegetables at Le Cordon Bleu cookery school in Paris with his wife and son, and wrote about it in the Straits Times newspaper earlier this month.

"Taking five weeks leave from work is not as difficult as one thinks. Most times when you are at the top, you think you are indispensable. But if you are a good leader who has built up a good team, it is possible," Tan wrote in the newspaper.

His article raised eyebrows given the five-week course for three at the prestigious French cooking school cost more than S$46,000 ($30,930).

Singapore is one of Asia's wealthiest nations but it was the first country in Asia to fall into recession last year. More job cuts are looming.

"Anyone who has any sense of empathy for the average working person struggling to survive would not be splashing his story of luxurious holidays in full spread in a national newspaper," said Andrew Loh on a Singaporean discussion website (http://theonlinecitizen.com).

Tan could not be reached for comment and he has not said anything publicly about the response to his article.

"How long does each of us take to earn even half that amount that Mr. Tan spent on his lessons? And how many of us can afford to be away for five weeks on paid vacation without getting sacked from our jobs?" said Eugene Yeo, senior writer at the political website, The Wayang Party Club of Singapore. (http://wayangparty.com)

Some online forum users said Tan could decide what to do with his money, but still felt he was being boastful.

"Agreed that what he does with his money and time is his business but to brag about it really makes me boil," said an online post from someone nicknamed Ricksw8437.

($1=1.487 Singapore Dollar)

(Reporting by Melanie Lee; Editing by Neil Chatterjee and Dean Yates)

Ian6690

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Netizens' Outcry Over Perm Sec's Cooking Trip Caught Global News Media's Attentio

Of course one has all the right to decide how one wants to spend his money. However, being a public servant, he should be more discrete about his recent expenditure as there are people barely having one proper meal a day. Engage a cook to come to your house to cook a high-end meal for your family if you so want. But it is another thing to let the whole Singapore know about it.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Netizens' Outcry Over Perm Sec's Cooking Trip Caught Global News Media's Attentio

where's the quote on Spore GINI index comparable to Kenya's?

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal

Both Lackey Tan and Seng has a common moniker, 'Siah Lan'

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Well you have to thank shitty times for that.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think LHL is losing control. When old man was still PM, no one dare to openly boast and brag on what they do and have. but now, all these young cock keep on harping on what they are doing and still want to justified their actions.

LHL really have lots of shit to clean. he dont have to fixed the opposition. his own people is already fixing him.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually I do agree his article was splashed on the papers in the midst of a recession certainly doesn't go down well with many. Particularly he is a civil servant.

A time where everyone is tightening their belt, we have 1 person telling the whole world how much this enrichment program benefited him and his family at that 5 figure cost. :eek:

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well, Mr Tan went for 5 weeks paid leave. Guess who paid this 5 weeks salary while he and his family enjoy themselves in Paris? Answer: Tax payers (i.e. you and me).

And how much you think he is earning every month? Answer: I don't know. But definately high five digit.

And how many of us can afford 5 straight weeks of overseas holiday? Answer: Non

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal

[COLOR="_______"]Let the world know about Sammyboy.com and our culture ![/COLOR]

Last edited:

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal

Screw civil servants !

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Well, Mr Tan went for 5 weeks paid leave. Guess who paid this 5 weeks salary while he and his family enjoy themselves in Paris? Answer: Tax payers (i.e. you and me).

And how much you think he is earning every month? Answer: I don't know. But definately high five digit.

$50k per month nia nia.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal

Glaring showoff by MIW:Insensitivity,no empathy (Too bad,nobody teach them the correct values!)

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal

It clearly goes to show that Sinkee MIWs are a bunch of useless chio bo lan fuckers who draw their million $$$ salaries for fuck!!!!

sheryllim

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kudos to the Wayangparty for picking up the story and blowing it up first !!

PJ Boy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually I do agree his article was splashed on the papers in the midst of a recession certainly doesn't go down well with many. Particularly he is a civil servant.

A time where everyone is tightening their belt, we have 1 person telling the whole world how much this enrichment program benefited him and his family at that 5 figure cost. :eek:

The govt is always asking people to bite the bullet, tighten their belts etc. Imagine this Perm Sec tells you to bite the bullet and tighten your belt.

The govt is appealing to people to lower their expectations. To do this, they must possess the moral authority. I'm afraid this perm sec has no moral authority to ask people to lower their expectations anymore.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Tan Yong Soon, a senior official at Singapore's Environment Ministry, learnt to truss chicken and cut vegetables at Le Cordon Bleu cookery school in Paris with his wife and son, and wrote about it in the Straits Times newspaper earlier this month.

Gosh, he went there to learn to cook meat. Terrible....!!!!!!!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This is a classic case of "when Rome is burning, Nero is playing his fiddle", or a stupidest case of Public Relations.