• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Teens air concerns over jobs and housing

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bread-and-butter issues such as competition for jobs, housing costs and maternity leave were the main focus of an Our Singapore Conversation session held yesterday.
This would not have been unusual - except that the forum was held for youth.
Chaired by Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen and held at Toa Payoh Public Library, it was attended by 60 participants - mostly local residents. A third were aged below 20 and led the debate.
One of them was 17-year-old Louis Low who stood up in response to Dr Ng's claim that the whole of Louis' generation would be able to afford a four-room flat.
Louis said he did not come from a well-to-do family. His father is a hawker centre cleaner earning about $700 a month while his mother, a retail assistant, earns about $1,700.
"What if I don't do well in my studies and become like my father? I don't dare to say that I can afford a four-room flat. It'll be worse if I'm also trying to start a family," said Louis, who will be starting his chemical engineering course at Singapore Polytechnic later this year.
Dr Ng, an MP for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, said the Government is trying to lower the prices of Build-To-Order flats in non-mature estates to four years of the annual median income of flat applicants.
When the debate turned towards employers preferring to hire foreign workers instead of locals to lower costs, Secondary 3 student Edric Wong, 14, said: "Most of the complaints are aimed at foreign expats competing for high-income jobs." As the discussion heated up, Toh Qin Ying, 17, said that perhaps Singaporeans should not treat foreigners as competitors but as people they can learn from.
She told The Sunday Times that she started being concerned about these "adult" issues after being exposed to them through the media.
"I was watching the news and heard that housing prices are soaring. It's quite scary," the Anderson Junior College student said. "We have to be mature at this age. We're stepping into our 20s soon, (we) cannot still think like primary school kids."
Asked if he was surprised that the young crowd was bringing up such mature issues, Dr Ng laughed.
"I guess Singaporeans are very serious, or maybe just this crowd is very serious, I don't know."

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium...e-air-concerns-over-jobs-and-housing-20130317

Come 2016, he will know whether bread-&-butter and Housing are masak masak or serious issues.

lhlisanidiot

Alfrescian
Loyal
"I guess Singaporeans are very serious, or maybe just this crowd is very serious, I don't know."

This is the tactic used by LKY, LHL and other ministers.

Whenever they can't answer a question, they laugh out loud, implying that it is a stupid question and then move on to other questions.

Actually, I feel proud of our teens asking this type of questions, the young are no more blinded by PAP proganda like the older generations do.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scrap all these singapore conversations wayang.
Teo Chee Hean :"What do u think ?"
Ng Eng Hen :"Why so serious ? ":p

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dr Ng, an MP for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, said the Government is trying to lower the prices of Build-To-Order flats in non-mature estates to four years of the annual median income of flat applicants.

The monthly median take-home salary is $1700. So, 4-year median annual salary is $81,600. Can you see a 4-BR HDB flat at this price?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Asked if he was surprised that the young crowd was bringing up such mature issues, Dr Ng laughed.
"I guess Singaporeans are very serious, or maybe just this crowd is very serious, I don't know." ...
o ya, man! ... iz so farny! ...

no job? ... their prob la ... cannot afford 2 buy haus? ... their prob wat! ...

as loong as me get my million $ salary! ...

dose young punks r really so farny! ... ha!ha!ha! ...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's quite scary," the Anderson Junior College student said. "We have to be mature at this age. We're stepping into our 20s soon, (we) cannot still think like primary school kids."
Asked if he was surprised that the young crowd was bringing up such mature issues, Dr Ng laughed.

http://www.straitstimes.com/premium...e-air-concerns-over-jobs-and-housing-20130317

Come 2016, he will know whether bread-&-butter and Housing are masak masak or serious issues.

I wonder why the PAP bothers to hold's these conversations?

It's pretty obvious that they don't intend to do anything about it. Otherwise things wouldn't be so bad. Kind of reminds me of the last leaf bullying some school kids with his what do you think comment.

It's pretty sad that we have to wait for a state funeral before there's any possibility of positive change. Haven't heard anything from the Istana lately. Any news about the Godfather:p

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why are the youth even interviewed on these? Just get the qualifications for the field the wish to enter, get started, and work. It's the same everywhere else in the world! Oops, maybe in Europe can play soccer well and play for a professional club.

Cheers!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can't believe they're still CON-tinuing with the CON-versation thing, after being exposed the last time.

papcon01.jpg

So dark the CON of man.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nowadays teens are demanding and $mart. They want transparency and accountability.

Not during my generations...give and take.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
These things are staged mainly for security reasons ( they do not want any nutcase to throw petrol so easier to ask family members of grassroots and friends to come along) but also to help shine the light on the PAP. I am curious how the 60 were picked. I found the comment about learning from the FT quite puzzling. The issue is that FTs take the jobs and besides learning from them SIngaporeans need jobs.

The other mindset is that SIngaporeans once they reach 40s and are displaced, they think they are at fault and give in easily. NTUC has failed miserably to protect the rights of workers. As long as the supply pipeline from outside Singapore is wide open, employers will always go for the cheapest option. Even if they do not they will not be able to compete with those who do.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
These things are staged mainly for security reasons ( they do not want any nutcase to throw petrol so easier to ask family members of grassroots and friends to come along) but also to help shine the light on the PAP. I am curious how the 60 were picked. I found the comment about learning from the FT quite puzzling. The issue is that FTs take the jobs and besides learning from them SIngaporeans need jobs.

The other mindset is that SIngaporeans once they reach 40s and are displaced, they think they are at fault and give in easily. NTUC has failed miserably to protect the rights of workers. As long as the supply pipeline from outside Singapore is wide open, employers will always go for the cheapest option. Even if they do not they will not be able to compete with those who do.

why the hell you care??? that is their problem, not yours... Singapore has no place for you... fuck off!!!