• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FTs happy to work & live in SG for free, but KPKB about defense tax "punishment"

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's not the 2.5 years and the reservist liability that matter so much (it does). The crux of the matter is when something actually happens, sinkie men will be called up and serve. And I don't want to serve next to someone whose loyalty is questionable.

In today's situation, more than likely we won't be fighting conventional warfare where enemy troops will be in uniform. People we'll be fighting against will more than likely be in our midst. Trust in the man next to you will be even more important.

ShaoKahn

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I do not believe for one moment that PR should be taxed for not serving NS.

Not because I side with them, but simply that THERE CAN BE NO DOLLAR VALUE PLACED ON MY SERVICE TO THE COUNTRY!

Granted, I had a simple vocation back then, not the tough combat ones, but I nevertheless placed my belief that I was defending the land where my parents, relatives and siblings lived.

Even went as far as to think that with my services, I could come out and earn a higher starting pay to support my mum and dad...

Now that they wanna tax PR, to me it is just a cash grab. If the intent was truly sincere, just make them serve. Period.

Wah u faster then me leh. :biggrin:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if there a defense tax, then ONLY ppl who not uniform need to pay. 2-5% of annual income flat, money not use to give NSmen but use the $$ for a fulltime professional armed forces. with a fully trained armed forces, then no need so many reservists and the productivity would go up as men no longer need to go reservist. But conscription shd still be enforce but only 12-15mths max. then no reservist anymore unless sign up for militias, which will be funded by the defense tax. anyone who sign up for militias / national guard which only train 14 max a yr, are also exempted from defense tax while enjoying the same pay structure as the regulars, insurance coverage, medical benefit and a small graduity at the end of 20yrs in the reserves.

like that best, ppl who dun like army can opts out while those who like to play soldiers only on a part time basis can opt in. like that win win, retain those interested who willing to keep fit and get rid of those keng kings, ah bui, nerds etc etc... having 100K motivated, well trained miltias are way way better than having 350k low morale NSmen.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some suggested improvements:

1) The option of a defense tax can be open to Singaporeans as well. In this way, rich Singaporeans can opt out of NS and reservist by paying the tax. Poorer Singaporeans who cannot afford to pay the tax can do NS and reservist.

2) Not all FT are rich and can afford to pay the tax. The option of doing NS should therefore be open to foreigners who cannot afford to pay the tax.

3) The amount of tax should be based on Singapore's median salary of full time employed residents. According to MOM, this is $3,480. Over 2 years, this works out to $83,520. When male Singaporeans reach 18, they can opt to pay this defense tax and be exempted from NS. This amount would also be applicable to male foreigners over the age of 18 working in Singapore. As the amount is quite large, we can implement a defense tax loan scheme for payments to be made in installments.

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some suggested improvements:

Dangerous.. Then the armed forces will be effectively be made up of armed poor peasants. Then all it takes is one crazy "revolutionary" to spark off a "people's war".

Do we need another "pay money" solution in this country?

NS has been great because it's the great equaliser of Singaporeans. Rich/poor, fit/unfit, un-/educated, dumb/smart ... all served and suffered together. I wouldn't want to change that.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The suggested tax is a stupid idea because it re-affirms the idea that you can buy your way out of doing your duty.

More importantly, this is part of the larger reason why the PAPzis want more foreigners here. They think that they can make money out of these people. But why the rush the make money? Is it to cover up some big losses we don't know about yet?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The suggested tax is a stupid idea because it re-affirms the idea that you can buy your way out of doing your duty.

More importantly, this is part of the larger reason why the PAPzis want more foreigners here. They think that they can make money out of these people. But why the rush the make money? Is it to cover up some big losses we don't know about yet?

It is not stupid because if the tax is substantial, it will lead to a substantial decrease in entry of foreigners. There are many ways to kill a tiger.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not happy, Changi IA is just a short distance away. Nobody forced them to come here to work in the first place. They are not slaves.

FTs think we can't do without them. Can't blame them. The Singapore government encourages that kind of thinking. Having said that , the defence tax is ludicrous. All the benefits will go to fat cats and ordinary soldiers will still sweat. As GY says "wither Singapore". Think it is a message to us all.