• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FTs happy to work & live in SG for free, but KPKB about defense tax "punishment"

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Foreigners and Permanent Residents speak out against a proposed exclusive tax on them

by Azim Azman
inSing.com - 20 February 2013 3:59 PM | Updated 9:14 PM

pc_600x450.jpg
<cite style="display: block; font-style: normal; font-size: 10px; margin: 4px 0px;">Since non-Singaporeans benefit from the security which a strong armed forces provides, should they pay a financial contribution for the protection and preservation of the lives, families, jobs, investments and properties of SAF men? (Photo: Wikimedia)</cite>

Foreigners and Permanent Residents (PR) who inSing interviewed would feel ‘punished’ for being in Singapore if a proposed income and property tax, exclusive to them, ever comes into effect.

In a note posted on his Facebook (FB) page, Member of Parliament (MP) Hri Kumar wrote that he intends to propose the tax in the upcoming Budget debates next week.

Called the National Defence Duty Tax, its purpose is to “address a current imbalance which currently exists” of Singaporeans who sacrifice a “significant economic cost” by doing two years of National Service (NS), versus foreigners and PRs who do not.

His argument is since non-Singaporeans benefit from the security which a strong armed forces provides, they should pay a duty, “a financial contribution to the protection and preservation of their (Singaporean) lives, families, jobs, investments and properties.”

MP Kumar’s FB post on 13 February has sparked heated debate online with FB users posting 169 comments and his note being shared 145 times.

SCEPTICISM OVER TAX

Many foreigners and PRs who inSing interviewed expressed scepticism over the intent of the tax.

Advertising strategist Felix Pels says that the tax is trying to deflect attention away from the “current unrest” over the government’s recently released Population White Paper which states that Singapore could have 6.9 million people by 2030.

“(It is) attempting to 'punish' non-citizens…adding a tax does nothing to address the legitimate questions around where Singapore's population is heading and how the government intends to grow it,” said the 30-year-old Australian, who has been working in Singapore for the past one year.

He adds that Hri Kumar’s suggestion – that the objective of the tax to “create sharper distinctions between Singaporeans and others who live or do business here” – will send the wrong message to those considering a move to Singapore.

“If anything, this tax will only increase the issues (between Singaporeans and non-Singaporeans) that are causing concern today,” said Pels.

Marcelino Jr, who works as a senior manager with the Singapore Sports Council, agrees that the tax goes against current government efforts to integrate new citizens and will drive a wedge between local Singaporeans and foreigners.

He also criticises one of Hri Kumar’s points that low wage Indian workers be left out of the tax equation, as being unfair.

“If the tax is meant to offset the per-unit cost of security to each person in Singapore, then it has to be fair across the board – to all who do not contribute to NS. That means everyone foreign including foreign domestic workers. It shouldn't matter whether (they are) skilled, unskilled or professional,” the 43-year-old Filipino said.

A 32-year-old French national, who only wanted to be known as “Jennifer”, has been living in Singapore for the past nine years. She agrees that MP Kumar “should find better reasons if he wants to increase our taxes – these (current reasons put forward) are just not convincing at all.”

LOW TAXES IN SINGAPORE

However she, like many foreigners and PRs interviewed, admit that the current taxes they have to pay in Singapore are low.
“I come from a country where taxes are way higher than in Singapore so I do not consider myself as heavily taxed,” she said.

This is not the case for Ted Fordney who works as a vice president for Neptune Orient Lines. The 56-year-old says that this additional tax will add to the already high taxation United States (US) citizens have to pay.

“As a US citizen, I pay US and Singapore taxes. The tax equalisation terms I was given are such that my company subsidises the difference so that I do not have to endure double taxation. However, this additional tax might push my employer to discontinue their expatriate program, or their tax coverage,” said Fordney, who spent eight years in Singapore before heading back to the United States in 2010.

A Canadian marketing executive, who only gave his name as “Kelvin”, has a different perspective on the situation.

He says that, having lived in four different countries, away from his home country of Canada, citizens have every right to expect priority over non-citizens in all matters of policy planning.

“The decisions on how that country is run should be made by its citizens and we (foreigners) are guests here,” he said, adding that he has lived in Singapore for 13 years.

Former nominated MP and lawyer Siew Kum Hong wrote in his blog on 15 February that the tax only approaches the cost and burden of NS in economic and not real world terms.

“If we want to make up for the cost and burden of defending the country, we should give those who have served NS even more benefits than they receive today. More, much more than the tax relief and the SAFRA (Singapore Armed Forces Reservists Association) membership,” he wrote.

CLARIFICATIONS AND RESPONSES

The online debate over the proposed tax has prompted Hri Kumar to make clarifications and responses to individual FB users on his Facebook page.

In his latest post put up on Saturday, he reiterates his stance that there is a need to ensure that non-Singaporeans who come here to work do not see Singapore as a purely economic opportunity and that they integrate with the rest of Singapore society.

He firmly believes that NS is the biggest differentiation between citizens and non-citizens and that his proposed tax is the perfect way to address the imbalance.

He wrote this in response to Facebook users who expressed reservations that the time spent for National Service can be “paid off” with a tax.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The PAP will never implement anything substantial that hurt the PAPpythied system - Foreigners First is PAP's mantra.

ChoBohLan

Alfrescian
Loyal
What kind of joke is this?

“If we want to make up for the cost and burden of defending the country, we should give those who have served NS even more benefits than they receive today. More, much more than the tax relief and the SAFRA (Singapore Armed Forces Reservists Association) membership,” he wrote.

There are cases of the parents who lost their only son because of NS. There are cases where the young man was permanently disabled as a result of NS. No matter how much more, it will never be enough.

The only equitable way is for them to serve NS just like any able bodied Singaporean boys.

What about taxing them an equivalent amount that would result these foreigners to receive 2 years of NS pay? And this tax will be put aside to increase the pay of those serving NS.

If they don't like, they them to bugger off!

songsongpunggol

Alfrescian
Loyal
another ugly singaporean first rule for foreigners.

now why people are complaining life is not fair.

because you yourselves dun practise fairness mah.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will sinkees benefit from this new tax?

Good question. I can see the government coffers getting filled but i just don't know how this "compensates" the common man for his own NS.

For me, national service was something that i had to do, nothing more, nothing less. I did not care about other peoples problem with it. I had the option to do civil service instead as Germany allowed rejection of NS on moral grounds at that time.

Last edited:

scbccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not happy, Changi IA is just a short distance away. Nobody forced them to come here to work in the first place. They are not slaves.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From the article. All the foreigners that kpkb are nothing but trash that we can do without. All their comments are typically selfish n does not say anything about the sacrifices made by NS. Also if their countries give up such benefits to foreigners. Wont they kpkb in their homeland too?

Anyway this hari kumar is sprouting shit and i propose the following.

All foreigners n prs with the exception of maids (as they pay levy) have to pay one month income in tax. That is to cover reservists obligations n do work out to b 1 mth for ict anyway. In addition employer have to pay 1 mth tax. To make the cost of hiring locals cheaper.
In addition. Foreigners n prs will no longer contribute cpf. The contribution will be tax so when they leave there is no refund n wikl improve gahmen budget. Also prs who escape from ns obligations will be treated as deserters n dealt accordingly. So they cant come back on work permit etc.

Also by taxing them etc. They have less income to buy property hence will have a cooling effect on prices.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another point i want to add is= foreign labour etc is meant to improve singapore n singaporeans. Not to improve the life of foreigners. If these foreigners cant handle it. They can go back to their homeland.

Also all foreign scholarships will be terminated with immediate effect. They will be given to locals instead.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
From the article. All the foreigners that kpkb are nothing but trash that we can do without. All their comments are typically selfish n does not say anything about the sacrifices made by NS. Also if their countries give up such benefits to foreigners. Wont they kpkb in their homeland too?

Anyway this hari kumar is sprouting shit and i propose the following.

All foreigners n prs with the exception of maids (as they pay levy) have to pay one month income in tax. That is to cover reservists obligations n do work out to b 1 mth for ict anyway. In addition employer have to pay 1 mth tax. To make the cost of hiring locals cheaper.
In addition. Foreigners n prs will no longer contribute cpf. The contribution will be tax so when they leave there is no refund n wikl improve gahmen budget. Also prs who escape from ns obligations will be treated as deserters n dealt accordingly. So they cant come back on work permit etc.

Also by taxing them etc. They have less income to buy property hence will have a cooling effect on prices.

You implement all this nobody wants to come here to work anymore.

MenghidupKehadapan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not believe for one moment that PR should be taxed for not serving NS.

Not because I side with them, but simply that THERE CAN BE NO DOLLAR VALUE PLACED ON MY SERVICE TO THE COUNTRY!

Granted, I had a simple vocation back then, not the tough combat ones, but I nevertheless placed my belief that I was defending the land where my parents, relatives and siblings lived.

Even went as far as to think that with my services, I could come out and earn a higher starting pay to support my mum and dad...

Now that they wanna tax PR, to me it is just a cash grab. If the intent was truly sincere, just make them serve. Period.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal

Not because I side with them, but simply that THERE CAN BE NO DOLLAR VALUE PLACED ON MY SERVICE TO THE COUNTRY!

Granted, I had a simple vocation back then, not the tough combat ones, but I nevertheless placed my belief that I was defending the land where my parents, relatives and siblings lived.

Even went as far as to think that with my services, I could come out and earn a higher starting pay to support my mum and dad...

Now that they wanna tax PR, to me it is just a cash grab. If the intent was truly sincere, just make them serve. Period.

Very well said, i would up your points if i could :smile:. Tomorrow.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This sounds like a sucking up to pappie supporter in our midst