• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Unhappy FT writes to ST to complain about sinkie "behaviour"

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
S'pore driving 'behaviour' not permitted in other countries - reader

abcbd5a20bb0d82f56e78bb9e6aef250_S.jpg

I am a Dutch national who is a permanent resident here, and have lived and worked in Singapore for the past 26 years.

I have three young boys aged between six and nine, all Singaporeans, and I can empathise with the parents of the two boys killed in Monday's accident ("Two young brothers die in road accident"; Tuesday).

Singapore's driving standards and styles evolved in an inward-looking manner, and include driving behaviour that is not permitted in Western Europe and elsewhere - for good reason.

I attribute most accidents involving Singaporean drivers in the United States, Australia and New Zealand to the different driving standards and behaviour in Singapore and these countries.

In Singapore, pedestrians and cyclists are considered to be not part of the traffic and, hence, have no right to be on the road, let alone right of way.

In Holland, all turning traffic has to give way to traffic that is going straight and, yes, cars have to give way to pedestrians and cyclists.

In Singapore, where a pavement is interrupted by a road and there is no pedestrian crossing, people have to give way to oncoming cars.

The rights of pedestrians here are often infringed upon by drivers in a rush, even when the "green man" signal is on.

Then there is the "speedway road traffic model" here, where drivers overtake from the left.

Yet another bad habit of drivers here is overtaking other cars and maintaining their speed before suddenly exiting the road
they are on.

The safer way is to slow down, get to the start of the exit lane and exit behind other road users.

Finally, there are drivers who cut into your lane suddenly, even when there is not enough space to do so. They do signal their intention, and seem to think this permits them to filter ahead of you.

I was taught in Holland that before filtering and mchanging lanes ahead of another road user, one must be able to see that car in one's rear-view mirror.

If one can do so, it means there is enough space between the two cars for filtering.

-The Straits Times

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he is not happy, why is he still here? Is that ang mor behavior? Go to other countries and expect them to adapt to his preferences and lifestyle?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
6 comments

Comment Link

user.png

Monday, 04 February 2013 10:56 posted by Observer
I noticed a lot of times foreigners living in Singapore like to criticize Singapore/Singaporeans! But foreigners living in other countries like Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines or other countries in the world dare not criticize their host countries for fear of being beaten up by the locals! A few years ago Indians Supervisors in Indonesia were beaten up by rioters and even jailed when they insulted the local Indonesian workers 'stupid Indonesian'! Maybe Singaporeans are too kind to their foreigners. By the way I lived in 3 SE Asia countries and travelled a lot so I know what I am saying! No wonder the Singaporeans are now not happy with the foreigners in their midst and voted for the anti- immigration opposition party in a recent by-election!

Comment Link
user.png

Monday, 04 February 2013 10:30 posted by Ron
hi, just for your information in any countries road accident occurred due to many factors. Just youtube and u will see what i meant. It is a sensitive time for you as a dutch to come out to say singapore driving habit though you have three kids as singaporean. So stop complaining about it if you want to continue living in this over-populated city.

Monday, 04 February 2013 09:50 posted by Meluat
You should come drive in Penang....

Comment Link
user.png

Monday, 04 February 2013 09:24 posted by Moham. Isllah

Ah~~Ha, you call it Singapore bad?

Our country here worse! Driver don't even care to turn on their signal !!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I agree with him wholeheartedly. If he signs up here, I'll add to his points.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If he is not happy, why is he still here? Is that ang mor behavior? Go to other countries and expect them to adapt to his preferences and lifestyle?

the ang mor is teaching sinkies how to behave and drive in a first world manner.

Because of 3rd world low life sinkie drivers, the kid's brain are scattered over the floor.

A real first world human being will admit that they got such a flaw and correct it for the benefit of others.

A real sinkies low life will only ask this ang mor to fuck off instead of getting the lesson learnt.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This Dutchman probably dun stay here long enough although PR for 26 yeras...

Firstly, compare the density of the population between both countries. If drivers give way to the pedestrians all the way. Drivers will almost never get to move on.
Secondly, pedestrian does have more rights in Singapore than driver.
Thirdly, I dunno where is your courtesy, when driver signal to filter into you lane, you are supposed to give way. Doesn't Ang Mo countries, teach you that?
Lastly, if you want to compare fuck off back to your country.

When you go to country like Vietnam, do you try to tell them to follow the lane, or traffic light? No, you appreciate whatever you have and try to adjust yourself to it the traffic culture. Idiotic Ang Mo.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
the ang mor is teaching sinkies how to behave and drive in a first world manner.

Because of 3rd world low life sinkie drivers, the kid's brain are scattered over the floor.

A real first world human being will admit that they got such a flaw and correct it for the benefit of others.

A real sinkies low life will only ask this ang mor to fuck off instead of getting the lesson learnt.

But that contradicts your saying that only a Sinkie will dispense advice even when no one asks for it. Oh i forgot. You are a lowlife pimp who speaks in tongues (forked tongues that is).

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

There is resentment and rejection of ang moh values here. They'd rather take drving lessons from Ah Tiong. After all, driving Ferrari is more prestigious and high class.

Cheers!

Travellor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hate to say this but sinkie driving behaviour is damm third world....there's no developed society where fuckers when they see you signalling to change lanes will deliberately accelerate and speed up just so they can cut into your blind and horn you loudly...yeah you cunts know who you are...... *nodding at you*

....fucking total bastard behaviour thats why i think if the PAP succeeds in its nefarious plans to fuck up this country by buying votes through the importation of FTs, the fucking clowns here deserve their fate.....

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
The dutch guy has hit the nail on the head. Dont be blind just because it comes from a foreigner. Open your eyes and put face aside!

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
When I drive and had to switch lane, I never signal untill the last few seconds. Nobody will give way to you when you had the signal on.

songsongpunggol

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Singapore, pedestrians and cyclists are considered to be not part of the traffic and, hence, have no right to be on the road, let alone right of way.

agreed 101%

sinkie drivers: 'Let's mow down these mudderfackers!!'

Last edited:

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today you'll notice motorists, cars, taxi driver, Mercede, BMW, pickup truck, lorries and some buses
they don't SIGNAL their intention, so if you're behind them you must have telepathic mind to read
the front drivers, what an IDIOT!!

So might as well vehicles export to Sinkieland do with out Signal light b'cos no body used them!!

Taxi driver are the worst/most dangerous they only use hazard light when picking up fares!! the rest is history!
When hazards is on they expect every one to give way or avoid collision! you bang me you're wrong! this is the
attitude of the fucking taxi drivers!! They think they are KING of the Road the road belongs to them!!
Watch theose driving Hyundai Sonota they are damn fast and reckless drivers!!! The Toyota Crown taxi driver are
the slow drivers that like to Hog on the extreme right lane every where, regardless, expressway no difference!!

This is my observation on Taxi Drivers! The faster you drive the more passengers you pick the more money u make
at the expense of others!!

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most Sinkies, even if they have knocked you down, will stop their vehicle and render you assistance.

Can't say the same for a certain Romanian diplomat. Or some Tiong in a Ferrari. :wink:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Can't say the same for a certain Romanian diplomat. Or some Tiong in a Ferrari. :wink:

The Chink in that Ferrari was eager to render whatever assistance he could but when he tried to do so, he realised he was dead.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most Sinkies, even if they have knocked you down, will stop their vehicle and render you assistance.

For every romanian or china national there is a singaporean to balance that equation. Your race argument stinks. Why must you go with the flow?

Last edited: