• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why PAP lost again?

codex

Alfrescian
Loyal
you mean they actually have learning capabilities? Nowadays if they can make a speech without being screwed afterwards thats progress

Checker

Alfrescian
Loyal
They had control of calling election whenever they liked... But they misjudged so many things. With all their brain power, economic power, media power ... Bring in PM to talk for an hour. All useless. And the loss was not even a narrow one. Managing the economy, education system, country should be more complicated... Are they up to it if they can't make good political judgments and decisions? Why didn't the ground sentiments get reflected upwards to decision-makers? Failure at many levels in their system.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah.They sang Majulah Singapura.:smile:

The first time Singaporeans witnessed our national Anthem sang with so much passion and heart. This is the type of Singapore I wanted to live in. I wish I can move to Hougang and sell my existing one.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....nation wide, the average popular support for papee has now fallen to below 60% so there is not much gerrymandering that papee can do in coming GE...
of course BE definitely has an effect but there is now a real groundswell against papee....
it also shows that voters are now much more sophiscated and rational and it would do well for the phoney opps supporters to stop giving childish excuses/labels each time opps parties lose an election...
if your candidate and party are credible, u can win a fair election....
if u lose, accept it and work harder to earn the trust of voters...wp has shown that this can done....
only losers will find all sorts of excuses.....blame mother and son, blame voters for daft, ball-less, civil service, PA, SCM, etc.....etc....

Now for the reality......in the coming GEs, if there happens to be a freak result; then it is good luck to everybody because history is full of such examples where the country descends into chaos and anarchy overnight following the overthrow of dominant leader/party......
Hence in a GE..... rational and matured voters will definitely have to be concerned of any freak results...that's is the burden future generations will have to bear in the coming years until real alternative party is ready to take over the government..

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now for the reality......in the coming GEs, if there happens to be a freak result; then it is good luck to everybody because history is full of such examples where the country descends into chaos and anarchy overnight following the overthrow of dominant leader/party......
Hence in a GE..... rational and matured voters will definitely have to be concerned of any freak results...that's is the burden future generations will have to bear in the coming years until real alternative party is ready to take over the government..

Thus, you hear LKT wanting to be less confrontational. He kept to the brand of rationale, working closely with the govt (read: to learn inside/out of the ruling party) so that someday, WP will be more confident to form an alternative govt. This is called strategy - studying your enemy while maintaining "friendship". This kind of style will make handover smooth and garner PAP agents support in the long run. Don't forget managing a town you need to work with many stat boards to deliver the effect. Currently, stat boards are bound by PAP power, thus WP speaks and actions are to allay those stat boards fears of working with WP. Even ST reporters will find no fault and give WP the credits for being less confrontational. It take times for WP management to show its true color against the PAP in time to come. Now they hope to build its brand steadily and get more capable candidates like Silvia Lim and Chen Sao Mao along its journey. However that doesn't mean WP will not dig out more PAP dirty laundry in future. We awaits more discloure of AIM episode in parliament.

Last edited:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thus, you hear LKT wanting to be less confrontational. He kept to the brand of rationale, working closely with the govt (read: to learn inside/out of the ruling party) so that someday, WP will be more confident to form an alternative govt. This is called strategy - studying your enemy while maintaining "friendship". This kind of style will make handover smooth and garner PAP agents support in the long run. Don't forget managing a town you need to work with many stat boards to deliver the effect. Currently, stat boards are bound by PAP power, thus WP speaks and actions are to allay those stat boards fears of working with WP. Even ST reporters will find no fault and give WP the credits for being less confrontational. It take times for WP management to show its true color against the PAP in time to come. Now they hope to build its brand steadily and get more capable candidates like Silvia Lim and Chen Sao Mao along its journey. However that doesn't mean WP will not dig out more PAP dirty laundry in future. We awaits more discloure of AIM episode in parliament.
hahaha...u missed the point...
a freak is a freak result...nobody can control or predict accurately.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha...u missed the point...
a freak is a freak result...nobody can control or predict accurately.

So be it. How do you define freak election? I see it as more disclosure of PAP corruptions, scandals and all dirty laundry coming out into the open. This is a positive freak election we love to see.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
So be it. How do you define freak election? I see it as more disclosure of PAP corruptions, scandals and all dirty laundry coming out into the open. This is a positive freak election we love to see.
hahaha....i am surprised at your understanding...
in simple term, everybody wants more opps party candidates in parliament but not enough to topple the government...
they also don't want papees to have too high percentage of the votes...
hence i vote for opps thinking that u will vote for papee, u also vote for opps thinking that i will vote for papee..
so the result is not what u and me expected....
when the popular supports for papee is high, such a freak result will be less likely to happen so u and me can vote "quite" safely for opps to send signal to papee...
when the popular supports are in the 50+%, papee can be unwittingly toppled by freak results...

Last edited:

Nobody888

Alfrescian
Loyal
"From the conversation, I realised that this young man joined to help the MP so as to increase his networking which can help in his career. What a discovery! I was told RC members get privileges in housing and carpark allocation, and some even did for such petty stuff. I recounted an experience of my friend who was so disgusted with his RC, who organise the welcoming ceremonies for constituency events to curry favour with their MP. The MP made his usual appearance in constituency event, garlanded and made his usual speech."

There are lot of worms eating the apple from inside.....Sad and very true.

Last edited:

Nobody888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Believe me, this is very serious for the PAP. Looking at the reaction of the people, they seemed to have totally failed the people. Those who are still hanging on are too afraid to move but once the surge has started, there is no stopping it. It will swiftly build up. I wish to revise all my earlier predictions. The two-third majority of seats can be breached in 2016 and loss of simple majority in 2021.
Comfirmed all real loyal Singaporean.

Nobody888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Believe me, this is very serious for the PAP. Looking at the reaction of the people, they seemed to have totally failed the people. Those who are still hanging on are too afraid to move but once the surge has started, there is no stopping it. It will swiftly build up. I wish to revise all my earlier predictions. The two-third majority of seats can be breached in 2016 and loss of simple majority in 2021.

Travel around the island today, all faces are smiling, some are still happily talking about it. Singaporean is awakening....

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not surprised that WP won.. but I am surprised at the numbers who voted for WP.

It certainly is telling of what the "younger" Sgs r thinking.. (this comment was from Gillian on CNA, who said those in Punggol East were mre younger sgs). Until facts n figures come out (if ever) that there r mre younger ppl in PE.. this would mean that the younger gen do not believe in what PAP has to offer.

And again I am not surprised that Pappies chose a doctor as a candidate.. so predictable...

One of my professors in Uni once told us, the 2 jobs he knows that are quite resistant to economic conditions, are Doctors and Lawyers.

Why? Elementary... in good economy or band, if you are not feeling well, you will need to go see a doctor.
Has anyone ever heard of doctors getting retrenched? If yes, pls tell me cos I have never heard of such news.

In almost any ecnonmic condition, lawyers are still needed... for buying n selling of properties, companies.. divorces and DEATH. You will probably need a lawyer to draft out a will, or have one deal with settling wills and all.

And also.. have you ever heard of lawyers getting retrenched?

So.. if I was at PE.. and I see a DOCTOR in the running for the position as my elected member of parliament.. the first thing I might think is.. if he dun get voted in.. he wun lose anything.. but does he understand the real woes of the ppl whose jobs are not that resistant to economic decisions?

Does the candidate know the struggles families have in bad times and how to make enough to feed mouths, as well as to pay bills?

The final straw has got to be the fact that I found out the doctor candidate has 2 cars.. but still dares to say he takes the MRT & busses. If you have 2 cars.. why in hell would you want to take MRT and busses and squeeze with the whole lot of people? I won't! If I can afford TWO cars, I would just drive around wherever I want to go, whenever I want to go out.

So.. as to PAP losing this BE.. I am not so surprised.. I am surprised at the margin.. but more stupified that over 40% still voted for pappies. Perhaps these are the mre elderly who dun even know what is happening around them?? I duno.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
It looks like PAP has not learned from the lessons of 2011 GE.

LTK is right. The PAP of old is not the PAP of today. George Yeo made a very good comment that when an organisation get going for many years, the rot starts to set in and what they do not "realise" will set its doom. He wanted to be the "reformist" voice inside the Party but unfortunately he got booted out.

Please stop putting georgie boy on a pedestal. He is an integral part of the problem. Simply out of touch with the common people.

He started to act reformist only AFTER he realized he's gonna lose aljunied.

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
The answer is very simple:

(1) they treated Singaporean like little kids or slave workers they can talked down to and looked down upon, with no respect;

(2) they think their policies are right and the MSM even spin the policies as always right and they even started to believe their policies are always right, when in fact the policies are mostly and fundamentally very, very wrong;

(3) they plaster all the problems caused by their wrong policies with superficial signs of progress and economic wealth for the elite, even though most people are suffering and struggling to make ends meet;

(4) they go around like mad dogs calling people "DAFT" and "SPURS NOT STUCK IN HIDE" as if the people are horses;

(5) they come off as ARROGANT and ELITIST (i.e., saying something like "get off my elitist uncaring face", "people should know the high and low" etc.);

(6) Singaporeans may be KIASU and KIASI, and sometimes DAFT -- but Singaporeans still know what is going on -- i.e., Singaporeans know about points (1)-(5) above.

(7) they are simply and totally disconnected and clueless about the WIDESPREAD NEGATIVE SENTIMENTS on the ground -- even after the Punggol loss, they are still clueless and think it is only one constituency.

(8) they have people like MBT and TPL on their ranks ('nuff said).

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
RN

Your point about LTK starting a grassroots movement is very apt and the key to the results we are seeing today. It was an investment and a departure from JBJ's approach of pedestal politics. It will be interesting to see how this movement takes hold.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not to mention that eventually a faction of pap may even ally itself with WP.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thus, you hear LKT wanting to be less confrontational. He kept to the brand of rationale, working closely with the govt (read: to learn inside/out of the ruling party) so that someday, WP will be more confident to form an alternative govt. This is called strategy - studying your enemy while maintaining "friendship". This kind of style will make handover smooth and garner PAP agents support in the long run.

This is maybe called the "gateway drug" strategy. You get many former PAP people thinking that the WP is "somewhat compatible" to the "same old same old" PAP. Or maybe the more competent less elitist PAP of old. Then this is a big net to capture the middle ground.

Gateway drug is the theory that when you start smoking weed eventually you'll be doing heroin.