• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Perm Sec boasted spending S$46K to learn french cooking !!

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, your eyes are not playing tricks on you and neither is there a typo mistake. Mr Tan Yong Soon, a senior civil servant with the Ministry of Environment and Water Resources had actually spent S$15,500 per head, or S$46,500 in all to attend a French cooking course in Paris.

Not that it was immoral for him to do so, but to boast about it openly in the papers to ordinary Singaporeans fretting about their livelihoods amidst an economic recession is downright insensitive, callous and arrogant.

Read the stunning revelation here:

http://wayangparty.com/2009/01/06/s...bout-spending-s46500-to-learn-french-cooking/

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
snmj4m.jpg

"Please understand that we want our media to show only stuffs we feel its good for singaporeans.
Its also good value for your dollar spent"

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Yes, your eyes are not playing tricks on you and neither is there a typo mistake. Mr Tan Yong Soon, a senior civil servant with the Ministry of Environment and Water Resources had actually spent S$15,500 per head, or S$46,500 in all to attend a French cooking course in Paris.

Not that it was immoral for him to do so, but to boast about it openly in the papers to ordinary Singaporeans fretting about their livelihoods amidst an economic recession is downright insensitive, callous and arrogant.

http://wayangparty.com/2009/01/06/s...bout-spending-s46500-to-learn-french-cooking/

Aiyah, Arse Loong asked him to cook french food for him, mah. So, what to do, better go to France and learn to do it right or else will cockup. U fail to mention too that at a time when local born singaporeans are seeing their places in uni taken over by subsidized FT students, this fucker is sending his son to an Ivy league school, Brown Uni.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe he's preparing for a new career after the Lee Regime collapsed?

ex-civil servant serves in a high class french restaurants?

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is his money, and it is at his disposal. he is nothing wrong. thinking of this, you may wonder how much a meal for those priviledged and powerful.
i am taking the mixed vegetable rice for $2.30 for the lunch (for three vege
and lots of curry - curry free of charge) and $2.80 for dinner (two vege and chicken with lots of curry) with no drinks - no breakfast (coffee o $1.00 or $0.90 can't afford). same as human but different life. looking at those who depends on $300 for a month, this $46k can last for about 12 years and 9 months. what the fish.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks. i might not have any apettite for dinner after i had thought of this even with lots lots of curry (not cholesterols, but for those who live on the $300). may be i should take more curry, and die earlier, no need to live upon the gratuity if one day i lost the ability to support myself and was totally helpless. think of this, this is really sad.

sheryllim

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

You haven't factored in his air tickets and living expenses in Paris which can easily exceed 100K !!

this is his money, and it is at his disposal. he is nothing wrong. thinking of this, you may wonder how much a meal for those priviledged and powerful.
i am taking the mixed vegetable rice for $2.30 for the lunch (for three vege
and lots of curry - curry free of charge) and $2.80 for dinner (two vege and chicken with lots of curry) with no drinks - no breakfast (coffee o $1.00 or $0.90 can't afford). same as human but different life. looking at those who depends on $300 for a month, this $46k can last for about 12 years and 9 months. what the fish.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I scanned through the article and I must say I'm not pleased at his spending. It's all very within his family's right to induce his children to learning cooking.

But not when you are using taxpayer's money at your own pleasure, and while Singaporeans, who have paid for your trip and overall expenses, are now cutting down drastically on their spending!

All this because of the recession, which the PAP, unfairly or not, has had a role in. Besides, I'm also displeased because first of all, there are French restaurants in Singapore, in which his kids could learn. Second, even if French restaurants are not on par, there's always Hong Kong, which isn't that far away, and therefore cheaper.

Instead he boasted that he's able to fly his entire family to Paris to learn cooking!- while ordinary citizens have to shrink their family budgets and eat at home more.

Its symptomatic of a government which has its priorities messed up, and screwed up.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I scanned through the article and I must say I'm not pleased at his spending. It's all very within his family's right to induce his children to learning cooking.

But not when you are using taxpayer's money at your own pleasure, and while Singaporeans, who have paid for your trip and overall expenses, are now cutting down drastically on their spending!

All this because of the recession, which the PAP, unfairly or not, has had a role in. Besides, I'm also displeased because first of all, there are French restaurants in Singapore, in which his kids could learn. Second, even if French restaurants are not on par, there's always Hong Kong, which isn't that far away, and therefore cheaper.

Instead he boasted that he's able to fly his entire family to Paris to learn cooking!- while ordinary citizens have to shrink their family budgets and eat at home more.

Its symptomatic of a government which has its priorities messed up, and screwed up.

Well mate. You've got to only blame the 66.6% of the stupid Sinkees for electing this fucked up government time and again.

facial

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now I know where the 30% Water Conservation Tax on my SP Services bill goes to!!! :mad::mad::mad:

:oIo::oIo::oIo: To pay for cooking lessons!!! :oIo::oIo::oIo:

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Elites cook french food.
while
peasants cook cup noodles lor.

Fair and square mah.
If you are capable....be elite lor.

:o :biggrin: :o

Ian6690

Alfrescian
Loyal
More likely just want to boast to friends and relatives they got money to waste. How much can one learn within a short period when it takes years and lots of hands on, passion for the trade, flair, etc to become a good cook. Let alone 3 novices which has barely cook.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.......is sending his son to an Ivy league school, Brown Uni.
Good point

BG(NS)YS Tan

-is an alumni of the NUS Business School (MBA class of 1987),

-was on the Steering Committee to review university governance and funding when he was MOF's Deputy Secretary (Policy) and

-was on the National University of Singapore Council from 2004 to 2006.

Yet, despite the govt claim that NUS is world class-his son is going to a US University.

sheryllim

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's cool, can you quote the source ?

Good point

BG(NS)YS Tan

-was on the Steering Committee to review university governance and funding when he was MOF's Deputy Secretary (Policy) and

Yet, despite the govt claim that NUS is world class-his son is going to a US University.

JadedBeach

Alfrescian
Loyal
he has a great sense of timing. sigh...

juz beach

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good point

BG(NS)YS Tan

Coming from my current experience of studying overseas, I think its not surprising that even an alumni of NUS will send his son overseas once the opportunity presents itself.