• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do we need another Workers’ Party MP? - Calvin Cheng, former NMP

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]Do we need another Workers’ Party MP?[/h]
<cite class="byline vcard">By Calvin Cheng | SingaporeScene – <abbr title="2013-01-22T05:50:50Z">Tue, Jan 22, 2013

</abbr></cite>
In the run-up to the by-election of Punggol East, it is clear, that final fight comes down to the two largest parties in Parliament: The People’s Action Party (PAP) and The Worker’s Party (WP).

The Worker’s Party chairman Sylvia Lim stated very early that this by-election was going to be a report-card on the PAP. Some political observers have commented that this is even more so than in Hougang, a Worker’s Party stronghold. And although the WP’s party candidate Lee Li Lian has recently admitted that the by-election would also be a barometer of the WP’s record, it seems that more questions are still being asked about the PAP rather than the WP.

This is natural. Being the incumbent, the PAP has much to prove after a water-shed election that saw an entire GRC falling for the first time to the opposition. It is also natural and obvious that this election, like all elections, would be a barometer of a ruling party’s record.

However, as even the leader of the WP Low Thia Kiang has admitted, time needs to be given to PAP to see whether it can solve the problems of Singaporeans, and to see the effects of its policy changes. Thus, contrary to the battle-cry of the opposition, I believe that this by-election is not so much a report-card on the PAP, but rather on the WP.

When one draws up a report card for a political party, nothing does better as a guide than their own campaign promises. The most striking thing about the WP’s campaign in GE 2011 was its overarching rhetoric of a “First World Parliament”.

It is also arguable that it was this promise, and its alluring pitch of a ‘co-driver’ elected to ‘slap’ the ruling party when it veers off-course, the seductive promise of check-and-balance, and the ideological insistence that an opposition in Singapore was necessary, that toppled George Yeo’s team in Aljunied.
But has it delivered on its promise working towards of a First World Parliament? Has it been the effective check-and-balance it promised the voters it would be? Has the co-driver performed?

The strangest thing that struck me during the GE campaign of 2011 was the WP’s strident rhetoric that electing it to Parliament would foster more debate, and thus help Singapore progress towards a ‘First World Parliament’.

No motions by WP

What was strange and extremely disturbing to me was that for a party that values debate so highly, in the 21 months that I served as Nominated Member of Parliament, the WP was curiously passive on the debating front. One has to understand that in Parliament, asking parliamentary questions is de riguer and does little to contribute to ‘debate’.

Any parliamentarian who has a burning issue to debate must surely know that the best and only way to force such a debate is to file a full motion, which compels the whole of parliament to put aside all other business and really debate the issue, concluding with a vote by all present Parliamentarians.

In the 21 months that I was NMP the WP filed precisely ZERO motions.

They did not even file any adjournment motions that would have given them a chance to speak at length, rather than just ask a question. In the first 21 months since GE 2011, the Workers Party has filed merely one adjournment motion (by NCMP Yee Jenn Jong), and another by Sylvia Lim just to withdraw it again.

In contrast, my former parliamentary colleague Viswa Sadasivan filed a full motion during his very first parliamentary sitting, which not only made Cabinet Ministers rise to rebut him, but even caused then Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew to speak in Parliament for the first time in years, and in the process teaching a nation the meaning of the word `hifalutin’.

The question then to ask of the WP is then this: For a party that campaigned on the promise of more debate as part of their march towards a ‘First World Parliament’, whither the debate? Surely if you have an alternate vision for Singapore, a vision burning to be articulated in full, asking questions would not suffice? Surely if even a Nominated Member of Parliament can force the whole of government, including its most senior statesman, to focus their attention on a ‘hifalutin’ issue and engage in robust debate, then a party with six elected members of Parliament, two NCMPs , and an alternate vision for Singapore can do so much more?

The oft-heard refrain that because the WP has no chance of winning a debate there is no point in starting one, is a massive cop-out. The House in any Westminster Parliament is not only a legislative chamber, but also a debating chamber. Not being able to win a debate, does not mean an issue is not worth debating, especially if one is a politician elected on a promise of more debate.

This is not about politicking as Low Thia Kiang has recently said. This is not about being an irrational or unreasonable opposition. This is about keeping one’s election promise – if one sells the electorate a vision, and if they elected one on this vision, then one had better live up to it.

The Worker’s Party thus has far bigger questions to answer than the PAP. When the Prime Minister asked where its policy alternatives were, the answer is obvious: they lay hidden in the depths of its Manifesto. The more crucial question is why a party which campaigned forcefully for more debate and a ‘First World Parliament’ has allowed these alternative policies to remain there, rather than forcing a fundamental rethink from the government by requiring them to stoutly defend its policies in the House.

At the end of the day, the Worker’s Party did not promise to run Singapore’s town councils better. The Worker’s Party did not even promise to solve bread-and-butter issues that Singaporeans face . Instead, the Worker’s Party promised that it would be a check-and-balance, that it would be a co-driver, and that more debate would lead Singapore to a ‘First World Parliament’. It is this, this that the voters of Punggol East, and perhaps Singaporeans at large, must ultimately judge them.

If it hasn’t even delivered the one thing it promised, then the question voters need to ask is not the one WP is asking them - whether Singapore needs another PAP MP. Rather, the right question would be the exact opposite: whether Singapore needs another Worker’s Party MP, or indeed any at all.

Calvin Cheng, 37, was a Nominated Member of Parliament from July 2009 to May 2011.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
absolute power corrupts absolutely. whether we need another WP MP is not the issue, me is more interested in denying a PAP MP.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
absolute power corrupts absolutely. whether we need another WP MP is not the issue, me is more interested in denying a PAP MP.

What concrete contribution did NMP Calvin Cheng brought to the table other than whinning about what WP did or did not do? As NMP for 21 months, did he try to change PAP mindset or policy rather than suck up to everything PAP said? Did he not observe that more than half of PAP were absence in some parliamentary sittings? Where were these lazy minsters who didn't bother to sit in during parliamentary debate?

We need a background scrutiny of Calvin Cheng. Who was this questionable guy and his strong connection to PAP.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Calvin Cheng, that's the guy who resigned from YPAP to be an NMP.

So I see the clearer picture now after your revelation.

This being the case, Calvin Cheng a former YPAP member CANNOT BE FAULTED for his views on the WPs performance.

Readers should decide themselves.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
dear mr calvin

ask not wat wp can pass motion for you, but what you can pass motion for yourself.

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
I personally know Calvin Cheng.

He is a Grade A douchebag. He is a slimy bastard who is full of himself and loves the sound of his own voice.

He spends a lot of his time flirting with girls (he is the CEO of a modelling agency) but many of the girls think he is a moron. He doesn't seem to realise that. He is also a cheapskate who likes to get others to pay small amounts of money for him.. on things like drinks, food and taxi fares.

Calvin Cheng was criticised by the head of YPAP even though he himself was from YPAP.

The NMP selection committee must be blind.. if he had to stand for election, he would be crushed. Less electable than TPL, plus he has alot of skeletons in his closet.

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
2 questions: does he read this forum? if yes, does he know your moniker? :eek::eek::eek:

If he does, good for him.

I am using my real name on this forum and there are only so many people with my name within anyone's social circle. And the fact that I post my reservist rank openly narrows it down even further. It doesn't bother me one bit, everyone knows he is a douche.

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
we have to take with a big pinch of salt anyone who casts doubts on the political development of spore.
CC as an NMP should applaud the democratic process than question it.

Maybe he has been in tiongland for too long.
:oIo:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the WP MPs does all that this PAPpy suggested, then they would attack the WP MPs as disruptive in parliament.

It is not the WP that is being judged, it is the PAP. After decades of governing, they have taken the people for granted and plunged this country into a regression path.

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
One has to understand that in Parliament, asking parliamentary questions is de riguer and does little to contribute to ‘debate’.

Any parliamentarian who has a burning issue to debate must surely know that the best and only way to force such a debate is to file a full motion, which compels the whole of parliament to put aside all other business and really debate the issue, concluding with a vote by all present Parliamentarians.

In the 21 months that I was NMP the WP filed precisely ZERO motions.

If the WP has filed zero motions, what have they been doing?

This article by Calvin Cheng offers a different view of WP.