• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Low Thia Khiang continues to steal JBJ’s glory and achievement

skponggol

Alfrescian
Loyal

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/singapor...-out-about-partys-stand-on-opposition-unity-1
Mr Low said in a democracy, it's not difficult to set up a political party in Singapore, though he pointed out that it's not easy to run one well

He added that since Singapore's independence, only two political parties have survived, namely the PAP and the WP.

Since Singapore’s independence, the WP has survived, alongside with the PAP, thanks to the great achievement of JBJ.

The Workers’ Party was a small, dysfunctional and dormant party when JBJ first took over in the early 1970s. Under his leadership, WP grew to become the largest opposition party in Singapore, becoming the first party to break the PAP monopoly in parliament. When he was forced out of the parliament and the party in 2001 by the joint conspiracy of PAP and ‘Towkay’ Low, WP was still the largest opposition party in parliament. It immediately shrunk after JBJ was ousted as the ‘Towkay’ could hardly recruit anybody for GE2001, and thus able to field only 2 candidates.

Yes, it’s not difficult to set up a party but not easy to run one well, even near impossible to make it the largest opposition party in Singapore under PAP ruthless dictatorship. Yet JBJ had achieved it despite being a minority who could hardly speak any Chinese or dialects and coming from an elitist upbringing, overcoming insurmountable obstacles.

Without the hard labour of JBJ and the strong brand name he had built for WP, the ‘Towkay’ could never have sneaked into the parliament in the first place.

Instead of recognising and giving credit to his benefactor and saviour, ‘Towkay’ Low again stoops to steal his mentor’s glory and makes it seems like he is the one who has saved and grown WP.

Shameful and despicable for trying to whitewash WP history.

Last edited:

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder why people made a fuss when CST left SDP because of CSJ. JBJ had to leave WP to form RP. Are the circumstances of them leaving their parties to form a new party similar?

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wonder why people made a fuss when CST left SDP because of CSJ. JBJ had to leave WP to form RP. Are the circumstances of them leaving their parties to form a new party similar?

They definitely left their parties under very different circumstances.

Mr Chiam See Tong was forced out of the party. The SDP CEC removed him from his CEC post and tried to kick him out of the party and make him lose his MP seat, but failed on procedural grounds. His position in the party was untenable and so he had to leave the SDP for SPP - a party made up of ex-SDP members that were still loyal to him.

Mr Joshua B Jeyaretnam was sued for libel in 2001 and had to pay a lot of damages. He relied on some help from the Worker's Party to pay off his damage, but apparently it wasn't enough and he ended up being declared bankrupt. He felt that the members of the party did not help him enough so he resigned from his position as Secretary General and eventually left the party. Reform Party was formed 7 years later.

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the SDP version of events may be different - they would claim in their Q&A that they did not force CST out.

LTK never exhibit any 'takeover' or hostile behavior to JBJ. I think CSJ was different, so is Desmond attitude to CST.

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
LTK never exhibit any 'takeover' or hostile behavior to JBJ. I think CSJ was different, so is Desmond attitude to CST.

I mean LTK never exhibit any 'takeover' or hostile behavior to JBJ during the time JBJ is still secretary general. Once JBJ left WP, that I don`t know if LTK is hostile to JBJ.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They definitely left their parties under very different circumstances.

Mr Chiam See Tong was forced out of the party. The SDP CEC removed him from his CEC post and tried to kick him out of the party and make him lose his MP seat, but failed on procedural grounds. His position in the party was untenable and so he had to leave the SDP for SPP - a party made up of ex-SDP members that were still loyal to him.

Mr Joshua B Jeyaretnam was sued for libel in 2001 and had to pay a lot of damages. He relied on some help from the Worker's Party to pay off his damage, but apparently it wasn't enough and he ended up being declared bankrupt. He felt that the members of the party did not help him enough so he resigned from his position as Secretary General and eventually left the party. Reform Party was formed 7 years later.

I recall Chiam resigned from the CEC because he could not get them to censure Chee for his hunger strike. The SDP CEC persuaded him to stay but he refused. However he began to publicly badmouth the party. That was where CEC decided to invoke discipline and expel him from his membership. He appealed to the high court which reinstated his membership on the grounds that the CEC proceedings of investigating and interviewing him revealed bias.

Your story on WP is more accurate.

kongsimi

Alfrescian
Loyal
JBJ son Kenneth should join WP.

And claim back some of his papa's glories!!

Imagine the power of Kenneth under the WP flag?

People will be reminded of JBJ and vote for him for old time sake.

RP simi sai?

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is nothing wrong in saying it is easy to set up a political party but difficult to run it well. Look at RP - some joined the party because KJ had a great father, but in the end they realised that does not make KJ's party a good one and they all left.