• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Liberal Granting of Citizenship In Sabah Under Mahathir Mohamad.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dear readers,
I got this in my email and would like to share it with all.
It is not my words but that of the original author.
Readers may find it interesting as a topic for general discussion.
Happy Reading Folks.......

"This was the unkindest cut of all; For when the noble Caesar saw him stab, ingratitude, more strong than traitors’ arms, Quite vanquished him: then burst his mighty heart."

This is the best way to describe Dr Mahathir.

Mahathir would have done a Brutus on anyone. Najib is truly a small fry to him.

If he could do that to Tunku Abdul Rahman, then no one else is safe.

That is why we say, his 22 years as premier was a nightmare.

Malaysians are better off without his legacy — the Umno of 1988 which is now inherited by Najib.

The poor Tunku Abdul Rahman is not here to defend himself.

The granting of citizenship to more than 1 million non-Malays before 1957 was for the purpose of nation building. It was for a higher calling.

However, the granting of citizenship to the Filipinos and an assortment of other nationalities done by Mahathir was directed at consolidating his power.

These are two different things. One served a higher calling and for the advancement of the greater good. The one did by Mahathir serve a narrower interest- his lust for power.

The difference should be obvious to any right thinking person. We need not even go to the granting of citizenship as a precondition of the British giving independence to Malaya. Or we were not yet independent when Mahathir started his project IC in Sabah? But there is a more pertinent point here.

When Mahathir mooted the idea of having an RCI, on pre-independence non Malays, I am wondering, whether any self-respecting non-Malay Malaysian today, will ever want to vote Mahathir’s Umno. Or will they lay silent when their forefathers are dishonoured?

Comment: Yes. Mahathir's RCI should include how Mahathir's father got his citizenship. Don't forget that his father came from Kerela State in India. Also, how Mahathir who declared himself as Indian when in Singapore as a student become a Malay in Malaysia.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The same shit is happening in Singapore and the target of 7 million citizens is already made known. What is not so obvious to many SBF members is how we are being set up.

1. 2 billion set aside as baby bonus (not only for citizens but also as an incentives for foreigners to become Singapore citizens).

2. 2 new MRT Lines. Makes you happy? You won't be happy if you discover that it is to ensure the MRT can meet the demands for any future increase in population.

Don't think the PAP is so generous to give handouts because of the impending BE. There is always an ulterior motive when offering goodies. Singaporeans have short memories and pretty gullible as time and time again they get screwed. Promises made can be broken and it has always been so after they get their mandate.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Just found out about this Malaysian event that could spell doom for UMNO in Sabah. Not surprise that this could happen in the 1986 Sabah Elections and the Malaysians themselves had been kept in the dark by the authorities (Mahathir). This was a tussle for political power which would make a big impact and a change of the Malaysia we know.:eek:

http://www.selangortimes.com/index.php?section=insight&permalink=20120913120511-the-hushed-riot-of-sabah

The hushed riot of Sabah

Writer: Gan Pei Ling
Published: Fri, 14 Sep 2012

img_2014.png

DID you know there was a riot in Sabah in 1986? Fish bombs were detonated at cities and towns. Buildings burned. Cars flipped over. Five people died. However, no one was held responsible and the instigators got away.

“I want people to know that it happened,” local filmmaker-writer Nadira Ilana, who wasn’t even born when the incident took place, told Selangor Times in an exclusive interview last Friday.

The 25-year-old Sino-Dusun from Kota Kinabalu only found out about the riot from her father last year.

It inspired her to research the mayhem and subsequently submit a proposal to Pusat Komas to turn it into a documentary.

News%20reports%20of%20the%20riot.png

News reports of the riot were not censored in Sabah.

“The riot only happened in Sabah but the story is relevant to the entire country. It shows what could happen after the fall of a political regime,” she said.

Nadira’s 30-minute film “The Silent Riot”, also known as “Rusuhan Tersembunyi” in Bahasa Malaysia, will be shown at the PJ Live Arts Theatre, Jaya One next Saturday in conjunction with the Freedom Arts Fest.

She shares some information about the cause of the riot, the politicians and civilians who lived through it and how she feels about this black episode in Sabah’s history.

Can you give us some background about the riot, how did it happen?

It started in 1985 when PBS (Parti Bersatu Sabah, then an opposition party) first came to power.

The previous ruling party, Parti Berjaya, had became increasingly unpopular among Sabahans. So (Tan Sri) Joseph Pairin Kitingan, then Berjaya’s deputy president, left the party to form PBS.

PBS was registered 47 days before the state elections in 1985. It formed a secret coalition with Usno (United Sabah National Organisation), which was headed by Tun Mustapha (Harun), to topple Berjaya.

Berjaya had swept 44 out of 48 seats in the 1981 elections so they were confident. But when the election results were announced on the midnight of April 22, 1985, PBS had won 25 seats, Usno 16 and Berjaya only had six.

Usno tried to contact PBS but there was a communication breakdown. In a panic, Usno called up Berjaya to form a coalition straight away. They then raced to the Istana to swear in Tun Mustapha as the Chief Minister. He was sworn in at 4am but was removed on the same day as the appointment was illegal. Pairin was sworn in as the rightful Chief Minister at 8pm the same night.

Did the riot begin then?

Not yet. Tun Mustapha filed an injunction against the State Governor. As far as Usno and Berjaya were concerned, he was still the Chief Minister. They didn’t want fresh elections. They were afraid PBS would win again. The riots didn’t happen until March 1986 just as the court verdict was to be announced.

Fish bombs did start going off in Kota Kinabalu and the other towns from May 29, 1985 but the incidents were sparse. These bombs were meant to shock people, not to kill or harm. But if you were at the wrong place at the wrong time, you could get hurt.

What happened in March 1986?

On the first day of demonstrations, about 1,000 Usno supporters gathered in front of the Kota Kinabalu High Court. That’s when several fish bombs started going off throughout town. A curfew was imposed for 39 days. There were other smaller demonstrations and arson attacks in Sandakan and Tawau too.

The demonstrators, led by Usno and Berjaya leaders, took to the streets of Kota Kinabalu to protest Pairin’s appointment because he was Christian. The anomaly was that a majority of the demonstrators were Filipino Muslims – many undocumented and legally unable to vote.

Many Sabahan Muslims didn’t have a problem with Pairin and supported him.

The demonstrators were given food, money and they stayed at the state mosque with their wives and children for a week. They were being used. These people were incredibly impoverished. Many of them were political or economic refugees from the Philippines.

They fled to Sabah in the 1970s to escape the conflict in Mindanao. Tun Mustapha, being a Muslim Bajau-Suluk, was the first to open Sabah’s gates to them. (He served as the Chief Minister from 1967 to 1975.) So a lot of them felt indebted to Tun Mustapha and were demonstrating on his behalf.

Tun Mustapha led the demonstrations at the mosque?

Not himself although he did address them personally at the mosque. It was mostly Usno leaders who led the demonstrations in Kota Kinabalu.

The smaller ones outside of town were led by Berjaya members.

So the riot started on March 13, 1986?

Several bombs went off in a span of two hours that day. Parents panicked and went to fetch their children from schools. There was tear gas from the FRU (Federal Reserve Unit) who was trying to contain the situation. Cars were being flipped over by demonstrators. They were also throwing rocks into shop windows.

People were terrified. By 10.30am the city was empty.

My father told me he was walking from his office to visit a friend when a bomb went off a few yards away from him at an Esso station. The roof collapsed and the windows shattered. He ran down the street and another bomb went off under his colleague’s car.

That must have been scary.

I was taken aback by how casual my dad was when he spoke about it. I was like “What?!” and he was like “It’s just a little bomb.” It’s scary to think that he could have been hurt. When I asked if people could die from the bombs, he said “Yeah, I guess but we didn’t die.”

Burnt%20vehicles%20in%20KK.png

Demonstrators torched several vehicles during the riot in Kota Kinabalu.

After that I asked a lot of people about it and I think most of them have forgotten that it was a big deal. The newspapers weren’t censored. Their reporting was actually quite detailed. But the people who experienced it...They no longer talked about it. Maybe they don’t want to think about it. I don’t know how they came to terms with what happened.

Some people denied there was a riot. They told me “it was just a demonstration”. Someone even told me “yeah there were bombs but it’s Sabah, not Bosnia.” I thought: “Wow, these people are tough.”

Most of the people from my generation don’t know anything about the riot.

Five people died right? Was anyone caught and held responsible for the bombs and arson attacks?

It was estimated that 1,763 people were arrested during that period but they were all released after about a month. A newspaper vendor, fisherman, carpenter and two unnamed women died but who will stand up for them?

People suspect that the riot was manufactured to create a state of emergency so that the federal government can come in but that never happened. (The federal government had previously stepped in and proclaimed emergency in response to political turmoils in Sarawak in 1966 and Kelantan in 1977.)

Instead, then Prime Minister Datuk Seri (now Tun) Dr Mahathir Mohamad proposed a peace formula whereby PBS, Usno and Berjaya should form a coalition but this never came to fruition. Pairin dissolved the state assembly and Sabah underwent another election in 1986.

It was quite commendable that PBS kept their cool and kept the locals out of the riot.

Who did you interview for your film?

A mixture of politicians and civilians. People who were there, especially petrol station operators. A lot of petrol stations were attacked.

Who were the politicians?

Tan Sri Herman Luping who was the adviser to PBS at that time. Datuk Yahya Lampong, a former Usno member. And Datuk Mohd Noor Mansoor from Berjaya. He was state Finance Minister in Sabah.

What were the challenges you faced in making the documentary?

It’s the first time I’m doing a documentary. I’m more accustomed to narrative films. I only have 30 minutes but I wish I had more time. There’s so much to this story.

What were some of the things you wish you could have included in the film?

I wanted to include why Berjaya lost in the 1985 elections, add more interviews with civilians. When Usno first lost to Berjaya in the 1976 elections, there were fish bombs too, but not to the scale of in 1986.

I also had to cut out one of the interviews I did with a friend who was in school on that day. Demonstrators were marching past her school. Students were frantically trying to get home. The demonstrators surrounded her school van and rocked it. They were holding rocks, pieces of wood and chanting loudly. She was only 14.

They managed to get away. She thinks it’s funny now but back then she said she thought she was going to die that day.

So what do you think about the entire episode after making the documentary?

I will never join politics! (Laughs) I think my job as a filmmaker is hard enough.

As a storyteller, I can’t control how people will react to my story. It will take a life of its own once I put it out there. But I hope people will respond by having constructive discussions rather than reactive ones.

I’m not interested in pointing fingers but I do want people to know what happened and acknowledge this incident as part of Malaysia’s history.

I feel that the best way for us to move forward as a society is to be honest with ourselves, about our past no matter how dark. It’s part of who we are and we grow from these collective experiences. That’s why we value history.

Freedom Arts Fest 2012

Formerly known as Freedom Film Fest (FFF), this human rights film festival is organised annually by Pusat Komas. Award-winning local and foreign documentaries related to the themes of justice, equality, peace and democracy are screened nationwide during the festival.

Pusat Komas also organised a competition for local filmmakers in conjunction with the annual festival since 2003 to highlight local issues. This year’s theme is “Democracy: Who’s the Boss?” Three local filmmakers will be showcasing their winning documentaries based on the theme at PJ Live Arts next Saturday night.

The video

Synopsis:

What happens after the end of a political reign? After serving two terms as Sabah's government, Barisan Nasional led Parti Berjaya is unexpectedly toppled by newcomers Parti Bersatu Sabah, with the cooperation of the United Sabah National Organisation. On the night the 1985 state election results are announced, the secret coalition between PBS and USNO falls apart at the seams, leading to an overnight power struggle that takes place at the State Palace. This coup would become the precursor to dramatic demonstrations the following year. An incident that is rarely talked about today -- making this -- The Silent Riot.

Catch director Nadira Ilana's live hangout session with guests including Tan Sri Simon Sipaun live on Friday 25th Jan 2013 at 9pm on https://www.youtube.com/user/KOMASVIDEOS

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jubilee1919,

A very interesting piece of hidden "history".

Thanks for the information.

During those days, Sabah was on the verge of breaking up from Malaysian Federation but probably these could be the reasons why it was not able to do so.

But the question here is how long will these original people of Sabah remain quiet. They have already been overwhelmed by lots of foreigners from Mindanao and Indonesia.

Once again. Thank you. It was an excellent piece.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Jubilee1919,

A very interesting piece of hidden "history".

Thanks for the information.

During those days, Sabah was on the verge of breaking up from Malaysian Federation but probably these could be the reasons why it was not able to do so.

But the question here is how long will these original people of Sabah remain quiet. They have already been overwhelmed by lots of foreigners from Mindanao and Indonesia.

Once again. Thank you. It was an excellent piece.

A tale of the subjugation of Sabah under Mahathir's rule and together with him, Anwar Ibrahim. They, meaning UMNO-Malays wanted Sabah to be ruled by their people and not under the Christian Kadazans, as Sabah is a resource-rich state with oil, timber and minerals.

Justice to the Sabahans had been twarted but hopefully will prevail in the 2013 coming GE. No doubt we will hear more about this in the near future and perhaps there may be a political price to pay when more Malaysians know about this event.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A tale of the subjugation of Sabah under Mahathir's rule and together with him, Anwar Ibrahim. They, meaning UMNO-Malays wanted Sabah to be ruled by their people and not under the Christian Kadazans, as Sabah is a resource-rich state with oil, timber and minerals.

Justice to the Sabahans had been twarted but hopefully will prevail in the 2013 coming GE.

Anwar was once upon a time a blue-eyed boy of Mahathir just like the late Devan here was to LKY.

As years passed Anwar was bitten by the same master that he wagged his tail to for many years since his master found him as head of ABIM.

What Mahathir did to him was truly sad and unforgivable. Mahathir is waiting still on Earth for the price to pay will be heavy indeed and that too would be before his own demise.

The Kadazans have been treated very shabbily by the Malaysians in Putrajaya since 1963. Their untouched virgin land had first been molested via groping, then raped via penetration. This continued till "she" was finally sodomized and then looters, plunderers and aliens were allowed "into" her. It is in the interest of the Sabahans (all communities) to secede from maniacal Malaysia or risk becoming a total wreck.

Compare the Sabahans with the people of the Indonesia Province of North Sulawesi (Manado) which is predominated by Christians too and has lots of natural resources and tourists attractions. The Indon Govt does not resort to "childish" antics of Mahathir and His Band of Thieves. Thus, the people of North Sulawesi are still very pro-Indonesia and loyal to the Nation. Children always sing praises of the "merah-putih" (Red and white Indon flag). In conclusion, they (Orang Sulawesi) are far better off then the robbers, crooks, terrorists, kidnappers and murderers of Mindanao across the Sulu Sea. Indonesia NEVER allow these foreigners to come in as Illegal Immigrants who would be given identity cards before the Elections ala Mahathir-style.

Maybe, Singapore, Sabah and Sarawak can be a single union known as the Union of Sarawak, Singapore & Sabah or USSS in short[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Last edited: