• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Punggol BE Pundits stumped, PAP launches rescue boat

tookara

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really hope so. But I wont hold my breath. We dont know how many foreigners turned new citizens we have in Punggol East. A thousand voting PAP would be plenty from the Pinoy Tiongs and Nehs

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree. It was something that GCT pushed after the 1991 4 seat loss. The idea was to show that small parties would not have the means to run a town council and the Govt has to come and rescue it. It turned out that Chiam did a first class job and they were shocked that he could do lift grading etc. WP now is TC experts and using it to connect to voters politically.

With respect, those MIW appears to under-estimate the abilities of others, and their weapon has turned around to explode in their faces.

In any case, I believe that it is more efficient (economies of scale, etc.) for the HDB to manage and operate the essential acitivites, rather than town councils.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP unlikely to win in PE. They know it and their choice of fielding LLL sealed its fate.

As matters stand, the WP is not projected to win, and the WP is humble not to predict a shock marginal victory.
However, as the camapigning continue, I believe the momentum will probably swing in favour of the WP.
Accordingly, I predict that the WP may receive up to 48% of the valid votes, and the PAP 47% or less.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The town council thing was done to discredit NoN PAP Mps,,,and to discourage voters from voting for opposition as means yr estate will become a slum and soo on,,also means if the oppo MP is incompetent the estate will not be run well,,this was wat happen to Ling How Doong in Bukit Gombak,,however in PP and Hougang,,it was the best run town councils as compared to PAP ones,,and today Hougang and Aljunied are better run that PAP ones,,,this is due to the dedication of the WP MPs and also PAP has fallen to rent seeking behaviour and the whole machinery is becoming done to support PAP rent seeking behaviour..

PAP created the system,,but thank goodness WP have manage to turn the tables around,,and PAP is now in damage control,,,which is good anyway,,I really look up to WP on this,,,

By the way, town council expected to revert back to HDB. A tactic that has badly backfired.

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What can the PM offer KPK? Ministar? - No way! MOS? - Not likely! Possibly a junior ParlSec.
He has just started his private practice not too long ago, hasn't earn his millions yet. He will not want the political office.
PM is misleading the PE voters.

Donkey years back GCT promised to make LBH a minister when he was having a tough fight against Ashley Seow at Ulu Pandan.
LBH turn out to be a useless Ministar w/o Portfolio all his remaining political life. KPK is not even a LBH. PE voters be fore warned.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Desmond lim may get 3% or less.

I hope kj gets 3% or less.

Also hope kpk gets below 45%.

LLL plus oil!

MIW will secure 35%, WP will secure 35%, RP can take some 5% at this point in time, 25% still undecided :o:o:o
hopefully KJ can pull another 5% from the pool of undecided voters :p:p:p

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another big gun has weighed in. Ng Eng Hen now says all the Oppo candidates are credible. Wow!

Must buy Toto.

PAP no longer confident of people's trust. They have totally lost the bond. Who is the next PAP MP itching in his pants better control his kukubird otherwise another SMC up for grabs. 40 to lose.

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Offering to give Koh Poh Koon some political appointment means f**k all. Why should I care who they want to appoint. They already have at least 60 other MPs to appoint. If they have not selected candidates good enough to hold higher office, then its their problem and not my loss.

This is really scrapping the bottom of the barrel in terms of offering solutions to the people. Why should the voters be helping PAP bring in "suitable" political appointees. They will follow the lousy indecisive leader anyway.

PAP forget that as elected Government of the day, it is they who should serve the people and not coerce or force the people into serving them - the Party.

Last edited:

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another big gun has weighed in. Ng Eng Hen now says all the Oppo candidates are credible. Wow!

Must buy Toto.

PAP no longer confident of people's trust. They have totally lost the bond. Who is the next PAP MP itching in his pants better control his kukubird otherwise another SMC up for grabs. 40 to lose.

Ng Eng Chicken said he's glad its a clean fight so far. It will only become dirty when they start the rumble. This time round, they are very careful not to talk about fruit sellers selling lousy fruit as they were the ones caught with the rotten fruit. If this had been another YSL case, you can bet your last dollar, they will have already started all kinds of m&d slinging.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree. It was something that GCT pushed after the 1991 4 seat loss. The idea was to show that small parties would not have the means to run a town council and the Govt has to come and rescue it. It turned out that Chiam did a first class job and they were shocked that he could do lift grading etc. WP now is TC experts and using it to connect to voters politically.

The Town Council Act was passed in 5 August 1988, less than a months before the GE 1988 which was held in 2 September 1988.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MIW will secure 35%, WP will secure 35%, RP can take some 5% at this point in time, 25% still undecided :o:o:o
hopefully KJ can pull another 5% from the pool of undecided voters :p:p:p

I don't think RP and SDA add together will reach 3%.
I won't be surprised if add together will be less than 2%

billisnotathome

Alfrescian
Loyal

It says something when the PAP's best hope of winning an election centers around a MCF diluting the opposition vote.

Having said that, I'm still not optimistic about a WP win. I give them a slim 10-15 percent chance of victory at best. Fingers crossed I'm completely wrong.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe it's because the last time they said that the opposition candidates are not credible, it backfired, so they trying new tact now.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, help me out here. I was distinctly told that it was to do with things introduced by GCT after 1991 including those associated with PA and their regulations around TCs. Apparently those changes localised politics within Town Councils rather than at National Level.

TC ACT of 88 was do JBJ in as he was known poor organiser.

The Town Council Act was passed in 5 August 1988, less than a months before the GE 1988 which was held in 2 September 1988.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
For some reason they think that KJ will eat into their votes and not WP. I could not figure that one out. The one reason I can think of is that Koh and Lilian are playing in the local politics space leaving a gap in national politics.

I did note that Koh is not talking about anything out Punggol.

Desmond lim may get 3% or less.

I hope kj gets 3% or less.

Also hope kpk gets below 45%.

LLL plus oil!

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Town Council Act was amended a few times after it was first passed in 1988. Unfortunately I can't see the changes before 1999 from the online statutes site. However, the first amendment was in 1989 and the second amendment was in 1997, so if there was anything introduced by GCT, it's not in an amendment.

I am pretty sure that the original 1988 bill already required the MP to chair the Town Council. In fact it was our Dr Tan Cheng Bock that brought up concerns about that.

http://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topi...ZZ_1#id007_19880729_S0007_T00221-oral-answer#

We can probably dig up more details about the original 1988 bill from the debates in parliamentary reports.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does LTK know something we do not?

This is the question that I have been asking myself when it comes to Lee Lilian. I am aware of LTK's shrewdness after being given a lesson by JW5. Sure Lilian is a nice person, hardworking, committed and would do everything possible for her voters.

But she is not in the mould of politicians as we know it. In 2011, she did incredibly well against Palmer who is well qualified and considered a nice guy. Nice enough and capable enough to front panel discussions for the PAP like Shanmugam just before GE2011. Yet the Lilian got 41% of the votes in what was regarded as safe territory. WP branding cannot be the only factor. It could be the fact that voters in Punggol want a local politician. And Lilian fits the bill to a T. It may also explain why Dr Koh from the word go is dying to cast himself as a local and doing the humbleness to death.

I also found Pritam' speech very intriguing. Note how it was all about Lilian, her husband and her parents. Her help in dealing with voters. Nothing to do with PAP politics.

Looks like the wily fox picked LLL not for her loyalty and commitment over the years as a reward but honestly believes that she would be the person that voters want.