• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

"Reverse By-election strategy" and "2 for 1" to backfire on WP if they field NCMP

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
no doubt i think GG and JJ are more MP material than LL.... nevertheless IMO nominating them will be a mistake

1st of all, if NCMP win, Parliament will remain in status quo... WP will remain with the same strength with a mild upgrade for 1 NCMP to full MP...

PAP will say, because GG or JJ will still be in parliament even if they lose, you can just vote for PAP...
PAP will also say Dr Koh Poh Koon can serve you in Parliament but you will have the GG and JJ voicing out for you in parliament
this is the Reverse of the By-election strategy and 2 for 1 that Opp parties have used in the past...

TO opp, this look like WP is not interested in raising the level of debate in parliament or worse since they are not adding more voices, that WP are prepare to hoard or concede a seat at the expense of other Opp parties...

VW and SDP supporters will be vindicated that WP is more interested in keeping other Parties out of parliament than to defeat PAP.... GMS will be vindicated that WP has no talent left...

people will question JJ and GG commitment to JC and East Coast, or worse, cast doubt on LL abilities... fielding NCMP effectively put a brake on WP leadership renewal

I been overtly pro WP recently because regardless of my misgiving about WP, they represent the best chance of winning and they can actually run a town council....

but fielding NCMP to contest is a mistake... LiLian may not be perfect but she will make a better MP than any1 SDP has to offer.... its also a fact that LL can take care of the residents better than either of the NCMP... even if she doesnt say alot in Parliament... because LL can take care of the residents from her glassloot experience, this will entrench punggol east in WP hand for a long time....

I hope they can keep the NCMPs for more important battles ahead.............

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now you are trying to spoil WP's PE campaign....

I actually support Brocoli's view because statistically the chance of winning PE is 50:50 (if straight fight) or less (if MCF). Winning PE, they have another member to turn the heat on PAP in parliament in the second half of the term before the next GE. If they lose, it is status quo.

Anyway, from now till 2016, they should turn the heat on the PAP. It is expected of them. They don't have to put up alternative plans like the SDP and subject themselves to questioning and put on the defensive. They are not the alternative govt, not yet. Don't have to kid themselves.

Their job is to question the weaknesses in the Govt policies and seek explanation for performance lapses. Be gentlemanly but need not bend over to be nice.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
According to the venerable ST, NCMPs do not need to give up their NCMP seats to fight for a vacant seat. So, if an NCMP loses the BE, he resumes his NCMP seat. Next, NCMPs are there to make up the so-called minimum of 9 opposition seats. It is unclear if an NCMP would be asked to vacate the seat if the BE results in the opposition holding 10 seats.

The stupidity of the NCMP system is showing.

LadyArwen

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
According to the venerable ST, NCMPs do not need to give up their NCMP seats to fight for a vacant seat. So, if an NCMP loses the BE, he resumes his NCMP seat. Next, NCMPs are there to make up the so-called minimum of 9 opposition seats. It is unclear if an NCMP would be asked to vacate the seat if the BE results in the opposition holding 10 seats.

The stupidity of the NCMP system is showing.

LadyArwen says the NCMP scheme will be scrap by GE2016

6000kmApart

Alfrescian
Loyal
Correct me if i'm wrong, didn't Sylvia Lim rose to prominence as a NCMP?

Something PAP thought could shut Opposition out came back to bite them...?

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Correct me if i'm wrong, didn't Sylvia Lim rose to prominence as a NCMP?

Something PAP thought could shut Opposition out came back to bite them...?

this work when you are the underdog... now the NCMP are the underdog... the NCMP have more to lose...

i see no reason to make GG or JJ lose elections again when they are already in .... WP have no lack of high flying professionals who are volunteers...

its not too hard to field a new face