• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Teo Ser Luck: Punggol East residents' interest interest must be served first!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MP to parties: Put residents' interests first

20121231.084603_sph_st_teoserluck.jpg

Above photo is Minister of State for Trade and Industry Teo Ser Luck.

By Adrian Lim

My Paper
Monday, Dec 31, 2012

SINGAPORE - With at least four opposition parties declaring interest in contesting the single-seat Punggol East ward, voters will have more choices should a by-election be called, said Minister of State for Trade and Industry Teo Ser Luck yesterday.

"What is more important is that everybody that has (an) interest in Punggol East is really doing it for the residents,"
said the Member of Parliament for Pasir Ris-Punggol Group Representation Constituency.

Mr Teo, who is looking after the Punggol East constituency following former MP Michael Palmer's resignation on Dec 12, said the "welfare, interests and well-being" of residents must be kept at heart.

He was speaking on the sidelines of a media briefing yesterday to announce safety measures to be implemented at a road junction in Sengkang.

When asked if he may be fielded as a People's Action Party (PAP) candidate, Mr Teo said: "To be fair to the residents of Punggol Central, I'm their representative and they have voted for me. I should serve them."

But, for the time being, he will do his best to serve both sides. Since Mr Palmer's resignation over an extramarital affair, four opposition parties have said they plan to run for the single-member constituency.

"The best way to prepare is to serve the people well," said Mr Teo, on how the PAP is gearing up for the likelihood of a by-election.

"Residents will be able to feel and see whether we have done a good job, and whether Michael himself has done a good job over the years," he added.

Discussing constituency issues, Mr Teo said that four preventive measures will be implemented at the junction of Sengkang East Way and Sengkang East Drive within the next two months, to improve safety at the accident-prone spot.

These comprise putting up speed-check warning signs, installing a countdown timer at the pedestrian crossing, raising the kerb height at the pedestrian island, and carving out a pocket for vehicles turning right.

In the future, a red-light camera will also be installed, he added.

With recent stepped-up enforcement by the Traffic Police against errant motorists, the number of accidents at the junction has fallen, said Mr Teo.

"But, I'm concerned that there may be near accidents which are not reported. And, if residents have brought it (the junction's safety) up quite often, then we have to address it before something happens," he added.

Resident Alan Lim, 56, the general manager of a transport company, welcomed the new measures.

He said: "It has been a long time coming... There have been quite a number of major accidents here. When pedestrians cross, the cars still speed through."

Sengkang East Drive is a straight road and links to a flyover.

As a result, cars tend to be driven faster, said residents.

At least five Punggol East residents whom My Paper spoke to said they hoped to see a by-election called.

However, they differed in opinion about the interest shown by various parties.

Pre-school teacher Jessica Wee, 24, said: "We should have the right to choose who we want. My vote will be based on the candidate and not on the party."

Mr Lim said: "Logically, it should be a straight fight. "If you have too many (candidates), it just reflects... that even the political parties are taking this small constituency for fun."

Get My Paper for more stories.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Will he take care of Laura as well since Michael left her?
Laura should have her own choice as much as the Punggol East deserves.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
when they highlight "residents' interest must be served first", it is a sinister hint that prices are going to increase all across the board....except our share prices. :p

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
by-election good. otherwise our political scene very boring.

wish that the PAP MPs in those single seats all get sacked from PAP one by one in the next three years.

jw5

Loyal
Bro u sure or not? No offence intended though! There are just so many PAP contenders for the title.:biggrin: My vote goes to Dr Teo, the hatchet man!:biggrin:

Okok, I'll think about it again and give you my response in a few days. :biggrin:

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is just a stand-in MP, not even the Minister of Transport and yet he could get LTA to do so much?

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
He is just a stand-in MP, not even the Minister of Transport and yet he could get LTA to do so much?

That's because he is a ministar of state, the chosen one, the blue eyed boy and a great orator and gift to all mankind.

Pity that keechiu, TCJ, HSK and Lawrence all leapfrogged him though.

Poor Lucky Baby.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did Palmer have the interest of residents when he was banging the PA staff every Monday. Did PAP and PA have interest of the residents when they went galavanting overseas on bonding sessions.

The temerity of the guy to make such comments when his own party failed in this respect.

Palmer failed the residents and he was called an honourable guy by his party colleagues giving the clear impression that no remorse was felt by the party.

jw5

Loyal
Hey,,who is looking after TSL's own ward?? so now there are less MPs looking after his GRC lah,,

He's superman so he can look after both. Had the misfortune of hearing him say on tv that he will do both jobs, until PM decides blah blah blah.........

Typical drivel that you would expect from him, with the emphasis on PM this and PM that.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
looks like this TSL is really unpopular,,,i really hope he gets replaced in the next GE

He's superman so he can look after both. Had the misfortune of hearing him say on tv that he will do both jobs, until PM decides blah blah blah.........

Typical drivel that you would expect from him, with the emphasis on PM this and PM that.

jw5

Loyal
looks like this TSL is really unpopular,,,i really hope he gets replaced in the next GE

He won't be replaced. People like him will thrive in this system. However he won't get to the top either, as long as Pinky is around anyway.

Look at how easily keechiu has leapfrogged him.

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great Orator? Look a him when he talks, his mouth is facing one direction and his face is the other direction.

That's because he is a ministar of state, the chosen one, the blue eyed boy and a great orator and gift to all mankind.

jw5

Loyal
Great Orator? Look a him when he talks, his mouth is facing one direction and his face is the other direction.

You should have got it when I said "the chosen one". Next time will remember to insert :rolleyes: in the appropriate place.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Okok, I'll think about it again and give you my response in a few days. :biggrin:

Sounds familiar leh! Tell you what...you can take your time. I'm sure Dr Teo is a strong contender for the title but he certainly needs more than a few days!