• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

No alimony for women with higher education

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Make lazy stay at home moms go to work, says foreigner. No more alimony to be awarded to educated women who seek a divorce.

It is so bizarre I don't know what to make of it. On one hand, alimony laws (aka Women's Charter) need to be reviewed. On the other hand, the reasons given is so bizarre it is counterproductive. Is that why the letter was published?

ST Forum Letters
Changing alimony laws will get women back to work
Dec 14, 2012

IT IS perhaps timely to relook the long-standing alimony laws to encourage more women to return to work ("Keep kids in school till 7pm so mums can go to work?"; last Friday).

In Scandinavian countries such as Sweden, alimony laws, along with other measures like extensive childcare facilities, serve to keep women in the workforce. Alimony is seldom granted except in certain circumstances where a spouse becomes financially needy upon a divorce.

This sends a strong signal to women that they are responsible for their own finances after divorce. As such, most women continue working while having a family.

In Singapore, however, the option of alimony is open to every married woman no matter how well off or highly educated she is. This safety net makes it less risky for her to quit her job to meet the needs of her family. Should her marriage fail, she can depend on alimony payment from her former husband to tide her over. Laws enacted to enforce alimony payment further strengthens the idea that staying home poses little financial risk.

Alimony laws in Singapore were forged in the 60s when most women were homemakers. The economic situation of women has improved tremendously over the years. Many are now highly educated and pursuing successful careers.

The laws need to move with the times. Access to alimony should be restricted to women from the low educational and income levels and when they could be in a dire financial situation upon divorce.

This will send a strong message, especially to highly-educated women, that staying home would no longer be a viable option for them.

Sulthan Niaz

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree with Sulthan Niaz.

Alimony (spouse maintenance) is nothing more than vaginamony: paying money for a vagina you no longer have access to.

Women are well-educated and earn good income these days. They thump their chests and brag about grrl power, and yet this 'gender equality' magically vanishes when they state their case in the Family Court during divorce proceedings.

Too bad prenuptial agreements are not worth the paper they're printed on, especially in Singapore.

[video=youtube;vq36RgL3LKw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq36RgL3LKw[/video]

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
But this fella is suggesting that we should change the alimony laws so that more women to get back to the workforce.

Shouldn't the Women's Charter be changed/updated because it is grossly unfair to men because better educated women now have access to the same opportunities accorded to men?

I feel this letter comes across as misogynistic and it will not be long before a white knight single male steps up and rebuts our foreign friend.

khamsulv

Alfrescian
Loyal
if my wife is richer than me, she should be paying me alimony to look after the kids if we divorce!

sgmalays.com - online social network, forum and one-stop portal for all Singaporean Malays. Join us for free today! :smile: