• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Double standards for the rich and powerful in Singapore

limpeh

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/News/The+New+Paper/Story/A1Story20081231-111538.html

HE EARNED $500,000 a year, which means he was among the highest paid professionals in Singapore.

Yet he could have felt like a failure, going by a psychiatrist report on lawyer Choy Chee Yean.

And that low-self esteem may have played a part in him committing burglary overseas.

The psychiatric report came to light last week during court proceedings in chambers at the High Court.

These related to an application by his former employers, Rajah and Tann, to keep him employed, though not as a lawyer.

On 18 Jan, Choy, 41, was arrested in Hong Kong for burglary in a hotel room when he was there on a business trip.

The news shocked the local legal fraternity, as Choy was known as a high-flying arbitration lawyer and a partner at Rajah and Tann, earning half a million a year.

Suspended sentence

In April, the father of two girls, aged 8 and 10, was given a suspended 12-month jail term in Hong Kong.

He was found guilty of stealing HK$9,500 ($1,650) worth of electronic items from an unlocked hotel room.

The stolen items included a handphone, a personal digital assistant and a Bluetooth earpiece.

Many who learnt of the case wondered why Choy, whose annual pay worked out to an average of $42,000 a month, would want to steal items he could easily afford.

But beneath the image of a high-flyer, the court learnt, was a man who was in turmoil.

His psychiatrist, Dr Ko Soo Meng, senior consultant psychiatrist at Mount Alvernia Medical Centre, noted that a medical examination of him on 2 May found he suffered from abnormally low self-esteem, which led to depression.

He wrote in his report: 'A low self-esteem is especially prevalent among professionals who usually have very high expectations of themselves (and others) and who do not easily forgive themselves for being 'failures'.'

Mistaken perception

Dr Ko noted that depressed people tend to have such a mistaken perception of themselves.

'It is for this reason that unemployment frequently causes depression.

'This is especially so for highly motivated and skilled persons who suddenly find themselves prevented from working.'

In a letter to The Law Society on 24 Apr to explain his legal troubles, Choy said: 'My depression was triggered largely by the amount of stress I had to undergo in the last few years.

'Coupled with the characteristics of my personality, the stress made me particularly vulnerable to coming down with depression.'

Since that unfortunate episode, however, Choy has turned his life around.

In his report, Dr Ko noted Choy had repeatedly told him that his wife had been a tremendous source of support for him during this difficult period.

Stronger marriage

Choy had said their marriage was stronger after the crisis and he was now able to communicate better with her.

His colleagues and church friends had also offered their support.

Dr Ko said Choy had responded well to psychiatric treatment and working again would only be good for him.

Rajah and Tann's executive committee partner, Mr Patrick Ang, wrote to the court that the firm intended to help him recover fully.

He added: 'We strongly believe that providing Mr Choy with a familiar and friendly environment in which he can work at his own pace, while employing his legal knowledge, and gainfully utilising his skills, will go a long way towards helping him regain his self-confidence in the fullness of time.'

TIMELINE
18 JAN 2008: Choy arrested in Hong Kong

21 APR: Convicted of burglary there

9 MAY: Rajah and Tann writes to Law Society about intention to re-hire Choy

2 OCT: Law Society says no issue with hiring Choy

31 OCT: Attorney-General's Chambers disagrees with Law Society

20 NOV: Rajah and Tann files application with High Court

24 DEC: High Court approves application

Firm needed High Court's permission

GETTING Choy back to work was no easy feat, his employers, Rajah and Tann, discovered.

That's because no law firm can hire a convict without the permission of the High Court.

The law firm was getting conflicting views about helping its former employee.

Since the incident, Choy had not renewed his licence to practice law and had resigned from the firm to concentrate on his recovery.

But Rajah and Tann did not give up on him. It wanted to re-hire him in a non-practising capacity as a legal executive.

On 9 May and 14 Aug, the firm wrote to The Law Society saying it wanted to re-hire Choy in a non-practising capacity, arguing that a conviction in a foreign court should not apply here.

He was to handle the firm's website and help in research.

On 2 Oct, The Law Society replied, agreeing with the firm's view that there was no need for the firm to get permission from the High Court to hire Choy.

Disagreement

But on 31 Oct, the Attorney-General's Chambers disagreed with The Law Society, saying a conviction abroad also applied here and asked the firm to get the High Court's permission before hiring Choy.

On 20 Nov, Rajah and Tann filed an application with the High Court to re-employ Choy.

According to court documents viewed by The New Paper, the firm's executive committee partner Patrick Ang wrote that psychiatric evidence had diagnosed Choy to have been suffering from a major depressive disorder and, specifically, a major depressive incident, at the time of the offence.

Mr Ang wrote that since Choy's return to Singapore on 23 Apr, Choy had taken leave of absence from work to recuperate and to undergo regular therapy sessions with his psychiatrist, Dr Ko.

New job

His new roles would include maintaining the firm's library and facilities, helping the firm's lawyers in research, and providing support to its lawyers in their training and seminar presentations.

Choy would be supervised by managing partner Senior Counsel (SC) Steven Chong, and SC Sundaresh Menon.

The firm said Choy would not be required to meet clients, handle client matters or any billable work.

He would also not be involved in handling any client or office accounts.

On Christmas Eve, Justice Woo Bih Li approved the firm's request to re-hire Choy.

Lianhe Zaobao reported that Choy will probably start work next month.

Mr Sundaresh told Zaobao: 'We're very happy to have obtained this order today which allows us to employ Mr Choy in the non-practising capacity.

'We've stood by him and wish him and his family the best as he resumes employment and starts a new chapter in his life.'

This article was first published in The New Paper on Dec 30, 2008.

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
When the poor steals, its a felony. When the rich steals, its kleptomania.

That is the beauty of money isn't it?

When you have money and you steal, you could either hire a good lawyer or a good psychiatrist better yet, you could hire both and make you look holy as a saint.

But when you don't have money, the government provides you with free lodging and meals.

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lest everyone forgets........ Lawyers are also snakes !!

When there is a need to clear their own names, they will dig all sorts of evidence to substantiate their claims. If need be, psychiatric reports and evidence can be fabricated.

And, what you need next is to get PAPPIES to buy your story and you will be reinstated.

To me, this lawyer is just plain greedy and thought that no one would see him stealing things from the hotel. He thought he could get away with it. In the 80s, this is possibly so. In this current era, you had to think twice. Almost every company has surveillance camera system in their office.

Sometimes, my balls are itchy and have the urge to scratch them. But, being conscious about surveillance cameras, I had to tolerate it till I visit the toilet. I also learn how to behave myself in my gal fren's office lest the boss is enjoying my groping show.

funglung

Alfrescian
Loyal
If all the big crooks are jailed, there
will be no lawyers in law firms and no bankers in banks
and no ministers getting millions for what they do to you.

Do try to be understanding and charitable.