• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why does SG want to invite Indian military power into ASEAN region?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore wants India to play larger role in broader ASEAN region
By Channel NewsAsia's India Correspondent Anjali Mathai | Posted: 21 November 2012 2222 hrs
display_image.php

Singapore's Minister for Defence Ng Eng Hen (R) meets Indian Defence Minister A.K. Antony (L) at India's Ministry of Defence. (Photo: MINDEF)

NEW DELHI: Singapore would like to further cooperate with India in the field of defence, and would like to see the country play a larger role in the broader ASEAN region.

Those were the key messages that Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen expressed to his Indian counterpart A.K. Antony and other Indian officials.

Dr Ng is on a two-day introductory visit to the Indian capital.

His first port of call was the Institute for Defence Studies and Analysis, a New Delhi think-tank, where he addressed senior defence and foreign affairs officials and academics.

In his speech, Dr Ng said India had a historic connection with the ASEAN region and that it should play a leadership role in the Asia-Pacific.

"India already participates closely in the EAS, the ARF, the ADMM-Plus and the Shangri-La Dialogue. India's perspectives and leadership would add to the balance of interests in the region. India's greater engagement of Southeast Asia, through meaningful multilateral engagement and a strong web of bilateral relationships, would also serve India's strategic and economic interests in the future," he said.

Dr Ng was accorded a ceremonial welcome at the Indian Defence Ministry, where he met his Indian counterpart A.K. Antony.

The two leaders spoke about increasing interaction between the Singapore and Indian armed forces.

Dr Ng also met India's President Pranab Mukherjee, National Security Advisor Shiv Shankar Menon, and other officials including Rahul Gandhi, the General Secretary of India's ruling Congress Party.

Dr Ng said: "We're looking for concrete ways, deliverables, things that we can do. Minister Anthony expressed his desire to see our three services interact even more, and I fully concurred with him, and we'll go back and do some staff work in terms of how we can step that up."

The Singapore and Indian armed forces already conduct joint training exercises and interact through policy dialogues, high-level visits and professional exchanges.

The levels of cooperation between the militaries of the two nations, and those of India and other ASEAN countries, are set to improve further.

Dr Ng's visit to India highlights a desire to see greater Indian participation in fora like the ASEAN Defence Ministers' Meeting Plus and the Shangri-La Dialogue. It was also an opportunity to reaffirm the strong defence ties between the two nations.

- CNA/de

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simple. They believe more countries associated with and with vested interests in Singapore, the safer Singapore becomes. Actually, not true. It becomes a more attractive target to stir shit by others. We are actually seeing it now with other issues.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simple. They believe more countries associated with and with vested interests in Singapore, the safer Singapore becomes. Actually, not true. It becomes a more attractive target to stir shit by others. We are actually seeing it now with other issues.

When you make a new friend, you will also make a new enemy. Pakistan is a dirty bastard which has thousands of dumb fanatics willing to die for the cause.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When you make a new friend, you will also make a new enemy. Pakistan is a dirty bastard which has thousands of dumb fanatics willing to die for the cause.

You know, our chaps are really bad at foreign policy. Flip US textbook, think very smart. Geopolitics is about playing games within games. Friends and enemies change fluidly.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think resource rich Burma is one of the reasons with this arrangement. But I don't see how cosying up to India can help the region. ASEAN is already struggling to balance things between China and US... When things turn rowdy, I know I won't ask the prata-boys for any help..

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think resource rich Burma is one of the reasons with this arrangement. But I don't see how cosying up to India can help the region. ASEAN is already struggling to balance things between China and US... When things turn rowdy, I know I won't ask the prata-boys for any help..

Japan wants to twist SGP arm for their sinking country cause too. Korea is somewhere in here too. It is a spaghetti bowl.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

ROFL asking these indians to help? They are so incompetent they would probably just run off after cheating sg of some military wares or some shit like that.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very obvious is to counter China. Also, we are acting for proxy for US who is worried India leaning towards Russia.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
India has a very effective army. All they need to do is just go into battle wearing sarong and singlet. Their armpit smell will drive enemies insane. Just like agent orange.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very obvious is to counter China. Also, we are acting for proxy for US who is worried India leaning towards Russia.

with myanmar and cambodia in the bag, the u.s. is slowly tightening the southern noose around the prc genitalia. the greatest coup will be having north korea on the u.s. side. that will truly embarass and piss off china. :biggrin:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP trying to make Southeast Asia the next Middle East where major powers fight over shipping rights and other resources in South China Sea. Then Singapore can be Israel of the east.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
with myanmar and cambodia in the bag, the u.s. is slowly tightening the southern noose around the prc genitalia. the greatest coup will be having north korea on the u.s. side. that will truly embarass and piss off china. :biggrin:
China acted stupid in past few years. They thought that they have made it as superpower because they were less affected after 2008 financial crisis and success at 2008 Olympics. Their leaders started acting like big shot across the world, and put all their neighbors on alert of the new bully in town.

Now the USA is schooling China on what it takes to be a superpower, and the east Asia countries decided that they would rather pay protection money to USA only.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
China acted stupid in past few years. They thought that they have made it as superpower because they were less affected after 2008 financial crisis and success at 2008 Olympics. Their leaders started acting like big shot across the world, and put all their neighbors on alert of the new bully in town.

Now the USA is schooling China on what it takes to be a superpower, and the east Asia countries decided that they would rather pay protection money to USA only.

very astute observation. up your points! :biggrin:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
like i've said liao.......................USA trying to split India from China (Shanghai Cooperation Organization) so got close to the Ah Nehs last few years..................S'pore being a fellow Zionist colony also cozying up to India..................

since China's oil supply still depend on tankers going thru Indian Ocean and then Southeast Asia...................that's why things like this lor...............

Indian Navy will intercept Chinese oil tankers in Indian Ocean...................now that Myanmar also slowing going under Zionist control (that's why USA now warming to them)................Myanmar will not be a backdoor to China like it was in WW2..........................

then S'pore Navy will intercept and delay the oil tankers..................using piracy and terrorism as excuses in Malacca Straits................

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You know, our chaps are really bad at foreign policy. Flip US textbook, think very smart. Geopolitics is about playing games within games. Friends and enemies change fluidly.

Our MFA and MIW are mosquito weight participants on the world stage but act and speak as if they are heavyweights. They have over-rated themselves.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

U need to get your brains check. SG is a master of playing the foreign policy game. Just about everyone except for Matland sees us in a good ally. Even when 2 countries hate each other, they sees us differently. Good example is China and US also China and Taiwan. We maintain a good relationship with US whom in the past have actively seek our advise on China and vice versa. We have maintained a good relationship with India yet at the same time we have good ties with Pakistan(SG-Pakistan ties). We have good trading links to South Korea yet at the same time have good enough relations with North Korea for them to open a consulate here.

Also when dealing with the country that doesn't like us, we're talking about just 1, Matland. Not only do we develop our own army to stop their scare tactics, we developed a water industry so huge they now cannot use the water issue to threaten us. U need to go do some homework before coming here to BS

U can start by reading this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_Singapore

Last edited:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
U need to get your brains check. SG is a master of playing the foreign policy game. Just about everyone except for Matland sees us in a good ally.
More like because sinkieland too small to be of consequence, hence other countries just give face. Fiji, morocco, Jamaica etc also have very good international relationships, so they all are experts?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
U need to get your brains check. SG is a master of playing the foreign policy game. Just about everyone except for Matland sees us in a good ally. Even when 2 countries hate each other, they sees us differently. Good example is China and US also China and Taiwan. We maintain a good relationship with US whom in the past have actively seek our advise on China and vice versa. We have maintained a good relationship with India yet at the same time we have good ties with Pakistan(SG-Pakistan ties). We have good trading links to South Korea yet at the same time have good enough relations with North Korea for them to open a consulate here.

Also when dealing with the country that doesn't like us, we're talking about just 1, Matland. Not only do we develop our own army to stop their scare tactics, we developed a water industry so huge they now cannot use the water issue to threaten us. U need to go do some homework before coming here to BS

U can start by reading this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_Singapore

You are the one who needs to get your grey matter checked and quoting from wikipedia only on how a country conducts its foreign affairs. There are no eternal friends only eternal interests. I make as many friends as i can and when things turn sour between me and a friend, i have other friends to turn to.