• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Is Jesus the Son of God? Part I

Jesus said, "I and the Father [God] are one."1

Almost 2,000 years ago when Caesar Augustus was ruling the vast Roman Empire, Jesus Christ was born in Palestine in very humble circumstances. Until he was 30 he was virtually unknown apart from his immediate family and friends.

However, during a brief three-year public ministry, his impact was such that it changed the world—including the change of our calendar from B.C. to A.D.

H.G. Wells, the famous historian, once said about Christ: "I am not a believer. But I must confess, as an historian, this penniless creature from Galilee is irresistibly the center of history."

No other person ever made the stupendous claims that Jesus did. He claimed to be the Son of God, the promised Jewish Messiah, and the only way to God for all mankind. He claimed to have power to forgive sins and to give people eternal life. Above all, he claimed to be God, saying, "I and the Father [God] are one."1

Socrates once said, "Oh, that someone would arise, man or God, to show us God." Four hundred years later Christ came and claimed to be that person.

But was Jesus Christ the Son of God? If not, he would have been the greatest impostor who ever lived!

Lew Wallace, a distinguished general and literary genius, and Robert Ingersoll, a notable skeptic, agreed to write a book that would prove Christianity to be a myth.

After two years of research, however, in some of the leading libraries of Europe and America in preparation for writing this book, Mr. Wallace had a transformation of attitude. He was only up to the second chapter when he fell to his knees and prayed, "My Lord and my God."

After studying the evidence, Wallace became convinced of the deity of Jesus Christ. He then wrote Ben Hur, one of the greatest novels ever written about the times of Christ. Later, Robert Ingersoll had this to say: "In using my speeches do not use any assault I may have made on Christ, which I foolishly made in my early life."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please reveal to me the truth about Jesus Christ so that I can know without any shadow of a doubt whether He is Your Son and the Savior of the world or not. And please show me the way to You. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

To be continued …

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Is Jesus the Son of God? Part II

"From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life."2

Yesterday we mentioned how Lew Wallace, a distinguished general and literary genius, and Robert Ingersoll, a notable skeptic, agreed to write a book that would prove Christianity to be a myth. However, their research convinced them otherwise and they came to the conclusion that Jesus Christ was who he claimed to be—the Son of God and Savior of the world.

A similar thing happened to one of today's leading Christian authors and spokesmen, Josh McDowell. His outstanding book that supports Christianity, Evidence That Demands a Verdict, began as his attempt to deny Christianity.

Jesus Christ, however, is not the only religious leader who claimed to be God, but he is the only one who ever convinced a great portion of the world that he is. He is also the only leader who ever claimed that he would rise from death.3

According to historical evidence, he did. He was seen by the women who visited his tomb and found it empty, by the disciples, and by more than 500 other witnesses.4

Christ's resurrection was also recorded by Josephus, the Jewish historian, in his Antiquities. Josephus was a Jew writing to satisfy the Romans, so his report of Christ's resurrection wouldn't have pleased the Romans at all. He would not have included it had he not believed it to be true.

Further evidence to support the deity of Christ is seen in the more than 300 prophecies concerning him and his life that are found in the Bible and were written centuries before his birth.

For instance, 700 years before Christ was born in Bethlehem, Micah wrote, "But you, Bethlehem…though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel."5

A thousand years before Christ's death David predicted how he would die. "They have pierced my hands and my feet," he wrote.6 This happened at Christ's crucifixion.

This is even more remarkable when considering that, in David's time, death by crucifixion was unknown. This inhuman, torturous death was first used by the Persians centuries later.

David also predicted that Christ would be betrayed by a friend, that people would "throw dice" for his clothes, and that he would die with criminals.7 He also predicted the dying Savior's cry: "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"8 All of these predictions came true.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You for all the prophecies in the Old Testament section of the Bible regarding the promised Messiah (Jesus Christ), and that all of these have been fulfilled in minutest detail.

Please open the eyes of my understanding so that I will know the truth about You, the truth about Your Word, the Bible, and the truth about Your Son, Jesus Christ. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

To be continued …

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Is Jesus the Son of God? Final part

"'But what about you?' he [Jesus Christ] asked. 'Who do you say I am?' Simon Peter answered, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.'"9

Today we share more evidence to verify the reality of Jesus Christ as being the Son of God and Savior of the world.

For example, six hundred years prior to Christ's coming Daniel predicted when it would be. One hundred years later Zechariah told how Christ would enter Jerusalem riding on a donkey; how he would be betrayed for 30 pieces of silver; and how this money would be used to buy a potter's field.10

All these predictions about Christ and many more—written hundreds of years before his coming—were fulfilled in detail, giving evidence to show that Jesus Christ was indeed God's promised Messiah—the Savior of the world.

When Jesus came, he asked his disciples, "Who do you say I am?" Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."11

This is the crucial question that each of us needs to answer. If Christ is who he claims to be, then our response to this question will determine our relationship to God for all eternity.

One thing we cannot do is accept Christ as a great moral teacher but not as God. As C.S. Lewis, a former professor at Cambridge and Oxford wrote, "A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg—or else would be the devil of hell. You must make your choice.

Either this man was, and is, the Son of God; or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool; you can spit at him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."12

Jesus himself said, "He who is not with me is against me."13 That is, unless we act on our belief and make a commitment to follow Christ in our everyday life, we are automatically against him.

However, if you do believe Jesus is the Son of God, you can commit your life to him through a simple prayer. Tell Christ that you believe he is the Son of God who died for your sins, and that you would like to become one of his true followers starting today.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You that Your Word clearly shows that Jesus is Your Son, and that history has verified that all the prophecies in Your Word also confirm that Jesus is Your Son, the only way to You, and the only Savior of the world. This I believe. Thank You for showing me the way and thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
With Whom Do You Gather?

For where two or three are gathered . . .
there am I among them—Matthew 18:20

We men often find it hard to gather with other men in Christian community. Calendars are full: “I just don’t have time for one more thing.” Pride is high: “I’m good . . . I’m doing fine on my own.” Aversion to vulnerability is strong: “Oh, man . . . I’m just not that good at opening up.” If we are followers of our King, Jesus Christ, though, we must gather—“not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some” (Hebrews 10:25).

But . . . why? Why is community so important for men? Well, a couple reasons. “Two are better than one,” Scripture tells us—we are stronger, less vulnerable, together (Ecclesiastes 4:9).

“For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up” (Ecclesiastes 4:10).

Even more important, though, Jesus tells us that he is uniquely present when we gather in his name (Matthew 18:20). You see, God the Holy Spirit dwells within each follower of Jesus. (John 14:17) Therefore, when we gather, the power of the Spirit flows from one to another and back.

When we gather, the work of God is done: confessions are made; sins are repented; love and compassion are expressed; hearts are healed; encouragement is given; lives are transformed. Men are lifted up, up out of sin and rebellion, into life and identity and calling. Work is done that just cannot be done in isolation.

Grab some other guys . . . one guy, even. Start meeting on a regular basis, weekly is best. Fight for community, brother—against calendars, against pride, against fear. King David sang: “Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!” (Psalm 133:1-3). This is so very important.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hannah saw her father every day—at least technically. That is, she passed him in the hallway and briefly said hello. Or sometimes she’d slip into his office and ask him to help her…or complain about her day. Yet while she saw him regularly, she strangely missed him.

When she paused long enough in her busy day, she could remember back to the sweet times she used to have with her father. How they’d sit and talk for hours. You know—really talked. Not a few quick words while racing off to an event, but focused, deep, daddy-daughter time.

What had happened? It was a question Hannah began asking herself. She knew her father hadn’t changed—he was still there, available to talk with, arms open wide. No, the problem wasn’t his—it was hers. She’d had her mind so occupied in a thousand different directions that she’d failed to quiet her thoughts long enough to really spend time with her father. She’d been missing out.

“Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10 (KJV)

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Fate of Flight 232

"And then he [Jesus] told them, 'Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone, everywhere.'"1

"In 1976, a daily flight which originated in Quito, Ecuador, and departed for the southern Ecuadorian city of Cuenca completely disappeared. Despite ongoing investigations, Saeta Flight 232, a 727 Boeing jet with 59 passengers, was not heard from again until years later.

For over 25 years family members had no peace of mind regarding the plight of their loved ones. But that changed when some Chimborazo Mountain climbers discovered the jet buried in the snow and ice of one of the highest volcanic mountains in the world. The plane was almost intact and the bodies of the passengers were well preserved by the year-round icecap on top of the great mountain.

"However, the story doesn't end there. Upon finding the wrecked plane and its preserved bodies, it was evident that others had already been there. The passengers had been stripped of their jewelry, wallets and other possessions. When, nobody really knows."2

It's difficult to believe that those who found the wrecked airplane never bothered to inform any authorities so loved ones of those who perished on that fateful flight could be told of their whereabouts.

And how tragic that we know people who are lost without Christ and without hope, and we never bother to share with them the saving message of Jesus Christ. As Mark Creech said, "Perhaps the greatest of all sins is to know the truth, to possess the knowledge that can free others, and then to conceal it for reasons that are essentially selfish."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, how can I ever thank You enough for those who told me about Your marvelous plan of salvation—which includes Your gift of forgiveness of sins and the gift of eternal life? Please use me to be 'as Christ' in some way to every life I touch and therein communicate Your love and salvation—and grant that others, seeing Jesus in me, will want You for themselves. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Label Me and You Negate Me

"A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold."1

Shakespeare said, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet."

True, we could call a rose by any other name and that wouldn't change its characteristics. We would just get to know it by whatever name we called it, and it would still live up to its name.

Names are significant in that they describe what an object is and what its characteristics are. They also identify places, people, positions, and processes—as well as innumerable other things.

The early followers of Jesus Christ were first known as Christ-ones and soon were named Christians. Thus, a true Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ.

But when it comes to name-calling, or labeling, that's a different issue. As another has said, "If you label me, you negate me." This is especially true if the label is a negative one.

For example, if you label a politician as either a rank liberal or a rightwing conservative, you will automatically negate him/her to those who hold the opposite position. This is destructive when used falsely and maliciously as a political ploy seeking to destroy the reputation of a particular politician who happens to be opposed to your point of view.

Or if you take a stand against abortion, homosexuality, or gay marriage, you will immediately be labeled by many as being a narrow-minded, behind-the-times, politically incorrect ultra-rightwing bigot.

Because I include psychology in some of my writings, my writings have been labeled of the devil by at least one person who claimed that psychology was of the devil. I have also been labeled by some as a psycho-babbler.

And, if I am so labeled to others, this will negate me and my ministry to some. Actually, as theology applies to the understanding of God, psychology applies to the understanding of the human mind and personality. This makes Jesus both the Master Theologian and the Master Psychologist par excellence.

While we don't want to close our eyes to evildoers, the important thing is that we don't maliciously label others and use such labeling as a form of destructive gossip. For if you label me with a false, negative label, and I do the same to you, we negate each other and in so doing can seriously hurt each other's good name.

Trying to take back such labeling and gossip is like trying to un-ring a bell.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please deliver me from the sin of gossip by falsely labeling another in an attempt to destroy their good name. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“And he requested for himself that he might die.”

1 Kings 19:4

It was a remarkable thing that the man who was never to die, for whom God had ordained an infinitely better lot, the man who should be carried to heaven in a chariot of fire, and be translated, that he should not see death — should thus pray, “Let me die, I am no better than my fathers.” We have here a memorable proof that God does not always answer prayer in kind, though he always does in effect.

He gave Elias something better than that which he asked for, and thus really heard and answered him. Strange was it that the lion-hearted Elijah should be so depressed by Jezebel's threat as to ask to die, and blessedly kind was it on the part of our heavenly Father that he did not take his desponding servant at his word. There is a limit to the doctrine of the prayer of faith. We are not to expect that God will give us everything we choose to ask for. We know that we sometimes ask, and do not receive, because we ask amiss.

If we ask for that which is not promised — if we run counter to the spirit which the Lord would have us cultivate — if we ask contrary to his will, or to the decrees of his providence — if we ask merely for the gratification of our own ease, and without an eye to his glory, we must not expect that we shall receive. Yet, when we ask in faith, nothing doubting, if we receive not the precise thing asked for, we shall receive an equivalent, and more than an equivalent, for it. As one remarks, “If the Lord does not pay in silver, he will in gold; and if he does not pay in gold, he will in diamonds.”

If he does not give you precisely what you ask for, he will give you that which is tantamount to it, and that which you will greatly rejoice to receive in lieu thereof. Be then, dear reader, much in prayer, and make this day a day of earnest intercession, but take heed what you ask.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Christians Are Having an Identity Crisis

I can’t quite help but sense that modern Christians are having an identity crisis – and this ultimately is what seems to be at the root of our troubles. We have so narrowly defined the gospel, as if the only thing that matters is the truth claims of the gospel and the indicative reality of what those truth claims have accomplished. Yet in this, we have left a lopsided gospel.

We have often advocated merely for the indicatives of the gospel over and above the imperatives of the gospel.

In effect, we have vigorously pushed a gospel that doesn’t always lead people to see that truly believing these set of truths comes at a high cost. There are two aspects to that cost and we do extremely well presenting one side or the other, either in an antinomian fashion or a legalistic fashion – yet scarcely do we uphold them both at the same time so as to show the many faceted diamond that is the gospel.

The more I study the Scriptures, the more I come away with a sense of awe in an incredibly simple, yet utterly profound indicative statement of the Christian. We are new creations in Christ. Before you gloss over that – slow down, come back, and pay attention.

It means something much more than we’ve given it credit for and a lack of understanding on this is what I firmly believe is at the root of not only our personal issues and battles, but our corporate issues within the church. More clearly, a failure to understand what it means to be a new creation in Christ, purchased for His purposes, His glory, and His means, results in a lopsided view of what it means to be a Christian.

We’ve studied grand theological systems and upheld principles of humanitarian service that have us deeply indebted in more ways than one – yet we’ve missed the forest for the trees.

All of these things are speaking to the identity of the church, and respectively, to the individual in the church, as a new being with a new purpose. Believe it or not, that purpose is not rooted in simply knowing more and serving more; it is rooted in a positional stance in Jesus Christ and out of this stance do we then come to know more and serve more.

It is both a work of the Holy Spirit and a command to the believer to not conform to the spirit of this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Why? So that you may prove what the will of God is – that (speaking of the will of God in a substantive sense) which is good, perfect, and well-pleasing to God.

All of this stems from the indicative reality of being purchased for Christ; we were not simply saved from something, but to something. When you hem and haw at the moral principles in scripture, it is all born out of this focus. When you speak to these theological systems that refine and purify our concept of God, it is again, born out of the focus of what it means to be purchased by and for Christ.

The unique thing is that this is both an active and a passive work. It is active in that you are not to conform to the pattern of this world, which assumes that we know the pattern of this world, in that it is subjected to the futility of a darkened heart and mind and hostile to God.

This plays out in every single thing that this world touches; there is not anything that is truly neutral, because man lacks the ability to be neutral. Yet there is a passive means by which this happens, as we are continually in a world that by disposition, seeks to press us into conformity. The temptation then, to be conformed to this age, is surely one we all wrestle with.

It is a passive work in that if you are in Christ, this renewal process will be that which transforms you – all of which being clearly linked to the work of the Spirit of God. And yet, Paul gives a command that we be transformed by the renewal of our minds, bringing out an active participation in this work.

Again, we see there is a measure of dual focus; the Christian must put off the active/passive work of conforming and being conformed to this age in order to be transformed by the renewal of their minds and actively walk in that transformation.

Yet if you spend any amount of time on the internet or in face-to-face discussion with different stripes of professing Christians, you will find an amazing disparity in not only what they believe, but how they carry out that belief in action. I am not speaking toward differences of secondary and tertiary doctrines, but of issues surrounding the notion that we live in this world, yet not being of it.

Some will laud a show that has not only gratuitous, but incredibly graphic depictions of nudity, while wrapping it up under the guise of freedom in Christ. Some will find ways to say they really value the life of a child – but God forbid they have one of their own and make that sacrifice. Others still capitulate to the cultural ideals of progressives, trying to make it sound super spiritual and loving, when in reality, they are simply becoming apostate as they move toward another religion entirely.

There are a host of ways this is done – and all of it stems from a lack of understanding that you, Christian, are not your own.

The autonomy that this world owns and loves in every instance of their selfish, little, insignificant lives, is not yours to have. It’s idolatry. It’s actually slavery to sin. It’s the way of death. But for those purchased by Christ, you have true autonomy.

You have the ability to have true religion; you are not a slave to sin, but to righteousness. Intrinsic to that call is not only legitimate freedom to enjoy God’s good gifts, but to be free from the abuse of His good gifts. This assumes you know not only how to do that, but what this means. Freedom in Christ to go and do things assumes you know what you are free to do and what you are not free to do, as well as having the ability to demonstrate self-control so that you do not abuse this freedom.

What’s the issue? I truly have a hard time seeing many Christians, at least in the States, have much of a concept of what it actually means to be Christ’s possession in this regard. We are so inundated with individualism and having cheap, easy, and immediate gratification that we are truthfully bored of plodding along in the imperatives of Scripture. We are bored and so we find ways to be entertained, but in our entertainment, we have acted as if it is somehow neutral – that we have not the capacity to abuse freedom, or that it’s really no big deal when we do. And so we put on a movie that portrays two people having sex, acting as if when we go to the bedroom, that taking in what is not ours to take in, will not come out in any way. Or we pretend that simulated sex isn’t that big of a deal, even though we have a bird’s eye view of their naked bodies feigning that which does not belong to them to feign.

We can’t be bothered to really know our bibles well enough to obey the teaching contained within it – but oh do we want to say we know Jesus. We don’t know Jesus all that well and we especially don’t know what it means to be a possession of Christ.

Many people know Social Justice Jesus – yet have no idea how to serve.
Many people know Hippie Jesus – yet have no idea how to love.

Many people know Socialist Jesus – yet only know how to covet, steal, and be lazy.
Many people know Republican Jesus – yet have no clue how to be the moral majority.

Many people know Democratic Jesus – yet haven’t the slightest idea of how to keep from killing people.
Many people know Fundy Jesus – yet have no conception of grace.
Many know Charismatic Jesus – yet aren’t filled with the Spirit, but divisiveness.
Few people know Jesus of Nazareth – and many that do, don’t carry out the implications of what it means to know Him. Why? They routinely ignore the Scripture’s teaching on what it means to be in Christ.

They’ve got the indicative side of the gospel down, but not the imperatives. They have an identity crisis; they’ve bought into the system of beliefs this world holds dear. We have to stop thinking trite thoughts about God and His holiness.

We have to stop pretending as if what we think about God, the Bible, obedience to the Scriptures – everything, doesn’t have big ramifications in the way we conduct our lives. The two are not separate in the Scriptures; our mental and moral being is one faculty and must be exercised appropriately.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Mistakes in Gathering

. . . if anyone thinks he is something,
when he is nothing, he deceives himself—Galatians 6:3

When we men relent and finally accept that we’re designed for community with other men, we nearly always start with the wrong criteria for choosing which men. We often plot and single out guys that are cool or rich or connected or well-educated or who’d be good to know from a work perspective.

And, if we don’t fall into those traps, we choose guys that are just a lot like us. We each think, subconsciously almost, “If I’ve got to devote myself to a handful of other men, I’m going to make sure they have some strategic value to me—worldly value, to my career or to my social standing—or, at the very least, they’re men who won’t challenge me or make me uncomfortable.”

Such plotting is a mistake. It’s driven by pride—that we somehow know better than God how these communities should come together. We must instead follow the blueprint given us by our King, Jesus Christ. He never once used this “strategic value” analysis.

Throughout the Gospel, he spent time with people whom God the Father wanted him to—people with whom it made no sense to spend time, from a worldly perspective. Adopting this blueprint, the Apostle Paul wrote: “Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight” (Romans 12:16

Pray that God brings the right men. Allow him to connect you to men who are willing to commit and surrender, willing to be transparent, are desperate for him. Be forewarned, though, the group that comes together will probably look nothing like what you expect . . . and that’s good. Groups we create ourselves, based on worldly criteria, aren’t worth our time. Groups that God creates for us are worth everything

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In What Ways Does God Chastise His Children?

God says that He chastises every child of His but why and in what ways does God discipline His children?

Discipline and Love

You cannot separate discipline from love because a lack of discipline in one’s own children or one’s own life shows a lack of love for their children or for the Lord. Jesus said, “Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me.

And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him” (John 14:21). I love my wife and desire to please her but I love the Lord even more and my love for Him motivates me to obey Him, so if God doesn’t discipline me when I need it, it shows He doesn’t love us.

The most loving thing we can do is to discipline our children so that they will know we care about them and their future, so the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference or apathy.

Parents who raise children and allow them to live undisciplined lives may create an adult who has difficulty obeying authorities in society. Charles Spurgeon said “If we never have headaches through rebuking our children, we shall have plenty of heartaches when they grow up,” and so will law enforcement.

The Lord Disciplines Those He Loves

The author of Hebrews writes “do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives” (Heb 12:5-6).

If the Lord did not care for us, the Lord would not discipline us since “It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons” (Heb 12:7-8), and since “we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them.

Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live” (Heb 12:9). The Lord “disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness” (Heb 12:10).

Discipline is not fun. In fact, at “the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it” (Heb 12:11). That should be in the forefront of our minds when we are disciplined by the Lord. He means it for our good.

Solomon adds, “My son, do not reject the discipline of the LORD Or loathe His reproof” (Prov 3:11), “For whom the LORD loves He reproves, Even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights” (Prov 3:12), so that should change our perspective on being disciplined by the Lord.

Through Illness

God kept Paul humble through his thorn in the flesh. God has humbled many men and women by allowing them to battle through illness, but the Lord might allow an illness or disease to bring us to an end of ourselves and put our trust in Him. When we cannot handle our trials, we should come to depend on God.

When a believer is living in disobedience, and all other disciplines of the Lord are not working, God may allow illnesses as a way to draw us to Himself so that we might have utter dependence on Him, which is what He desires anyway.

Financial Difficulties

When we hit rock bottom in finances and have nowhere else to turn, we should turn to God. God wants us to rely on Him for our needs, and if we are seeking the kingdom first, He promises to supply every need (Matt 6:33), but if we’re not putting Him first, this promise is null.

When we see our finances dwindle we might (or at least should) start to examine our lives to see how good or bad of a steward of God’s provisions we have been. If we are neglecting the Lord and His work, we are not pleasing God, however God is more interested in our hearts than our pocketbooks, but look at the Lord’s discipline as a proof of His love for you.

Relationships

When a marital relationship or a relationship between parents and children are wrecked, we should run to the Lord and bow down in prayer and seek to find out what He is telling us in this.

It could be that we are disconnected from a relationship, or a relationship is ruined and the Lord wants us to examine how we are treating the other person(s) but a ruined relationship might be a way that God bring us to the Himself and to seek His wisdom in restoring the relationship.

Those we love the most are also those who can hurt us the most. The greatest risk is to love someone and risk being hurt, but to not take that risk can lead to an even greater hurt in living a life of isolation without personal relationships.

Conclusion

Does this mean that every bad thing that happens to us is the Lord’s discipline? No, it might be the Lord’s way of conforming us into the image of Christ. It could be we are reaping what we have sown. It may be due to persecution because of our faith in Christ. The believer knows that everything that happens to them is in the sovereign will of God and is working in us for our good (Gen 50:20; Rom 8:28).

Being corrected or going through trials can be opportunities for growth. The Lord intends trials and tribulations to work for our good and not our hurt. Finally, perhaps God desires we examine ourselves and look at our lives and lifestyle. He is interested in eternity and not the present only.

God sees into the future and that’s why He disciplines His own children, for what loving father doesn’t discipline his own children? God’s discipline of us is proof that He loves us because discipline = love, whereas no discipline shows a lack of love, care, concern, and compassion.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What You Think of Me ...

"Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me."1

A Daily Encounter reader writes, "I am currently experiencing discouragement from a friend caused by their criticism of me. In my case I wonder if some friends are too afraid of us surpassing them in some area and their being left behind. Sad, but it makes me want to pray more for my 'discouragers' so that they may find our Lord faithful to supply all of their needs. After all, discouraging us doesn't make them more successful, significant or victorious—rather, quite the opposite."

It is true in that whenever someone rises head and shoulders above his fellow man, he quickly becomes the target for the jabs and jibes of jealous lesser men.

Criticism can be very painful especially when it comes from those who are closest to us. In the long run, however, it does much more harm to the one criticizing than it does to the one being criticized. Furthermore, criticism only destroys us if we allow it to.

If we are being criticized and the criticism is valid, we need to be big enough to accept the criticism and make necessary changes to correct where we have been wrong.

On the other hand, if the criticism is unjust, we need to realize (though easier said than done) that the more secure we become within ourselves, the less others' criticism will bother us. In such cases I like what another has said, "What you think of me is none of my business."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to be big enough to accept all criticism, evaluate it honestly, admit where I am wrong, and make changes where such is necessary. Where criticism is unjust, help me to brush it off and pray for my critic. And please deliver me from having a negative, critical attitude. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

1. Psalm 41:9 (NIV).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don’t Forget the Invite

. . . and he will give you another Helper—John 14:16

With his time on earth ending, Jesus told his disciples, “I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever . . .” (John 14:16-17). This Helper “will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you” (John 14:26). He will “guide you into all the truth” (John 16:13).

Jesus was comforting his disciples. “Let not your hearts be troubled,” he said (John 14:27). Though he was going away, they would not be abandoned. There’s someone coming, he told them, who’ll be with them all-the-time and forever. A constant companion.

One who will actually occupy a place deep within their inner machinery. He “dwells with you and will be in you” (John 14:17). This “someone” is, of course, God the Holy Spirit—and he was not just for the disciples. He is for us too. He is our constant companion. He abides with us and occupies a place deep within our inner machinery too.

Okay, so what do we do?

When you gather in Christian brotherhood, you mustn’t forget to invite, into your gatherings, the input and influence of your Helper, your Teacher, your Guide. You needn’t invite him. He’ll be there already, for sure. But he won’t force his input and influence—you’ll need to ask for them. You’ll need to invite his goodness and light . . . and especially into the dark places you’d prefer to keep hidden.

Few of us want help in those places, but we must ask nonetheless. It’s in those places that we most need it. It’s in those places that the Spirit most wants to work. And, as reluctant as we might be, it’s sure easier to trust and ask for help together, with brothers standing by us, doing the same.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Forgiveness Does NOT Mean No Consequences

Many modern Christians seem to view sin as if it is such a minor detail in the overall equation, when the reality is that our understanding of the sinfulness of mankind is central to our understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

If we fail to grasp the seriousness of sin, we fail to grasp the power of the gospel and the extent of Christ’s forgiveness – yet ultimately, we fail to grasp the holiness of God. It would seem evident that many likewise, fail to realize that sin has lasting consequences that do not disappear upon one being forgiven in Christ.

The clear caveat I am making here is that I am not speaking of condemnation. The Scripture is resoundingly clear in saying that those who are in Christ, that is, those who have believed the gospel and repented, find forgiveness.

Though the sin nature that still dwells in us seeks to wage war within our body and hold us captive to the law of sin – we know without hesitation there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ (Rom. 7:23-8:1). Furthermore, we know that the gift of grace is not like the sin of Adam, which brought condemnation; this gift has brought us life in Christ and justified us (Rom. 5:15-16).

We also know that our sins are counted as far as the East is from the West (Ps. 103:12); that if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just in the forgiveness of our sins and that He cleanses us from all unrighteousness (1 Jn. 1:9); that Christ, once and for all, accomplished our redemption (Heb. 9: 25-26).

There is ample, Biblical witness to make this much clear: if you are in Christ, your forgiveness is sure because of the sufficiency and extent of Christ’s sacrifice – and it cannot and will not be taken from you, for He will keep us firm to the end, so that we will be blameless on the day of our Lord, Jesus Christ (1 Cor. 1:8).

However, there is not a single reference within scripture indicating that sin, even though forgiven, will not have consequences. In fact, just the opposite is maintained, as it is explicitly maintained that if the Lord does not discipline you, you are not only unloved by the Father, but you are not received as a son or daughter of God (Heb. 12:6, 8; Ps. 119:75; Pro. 3:11-12; Rev. 3:19).

This is the purpose why those in Christ are not to make light of the discipline of the Lord (Heb. 12:5) and to count such disciplinary action against them as a blessing (Job 5:17; Ps. 94:12, 119:71). For though discipline is not pleasant at the time, it produces righteousness and peace for those who have trained by it (Heb. 12:11). The discipline of the Lord is indeed a good thing, as it brings us to share in His holiness (Heb. 12:10).

Yet notice that there is no qualification on the time length of said discipline. Instead, we find simply that there is the command to endure through the discipline because of what it will accomplish in you (Heb. 12:7). In fact, there is no commendation for being under this discipline (1 Pet. 2:20, 3:17).

Instead, Christians are simply commanded to “strengthen the hands that are weak and the knees that are feeble, and make straight paths for your feet, so that the limb which is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed” (Heb. 12:12-13). It is expected that if you do wrong, you will not only be judged accordingly and be disciplined by God, but that you bear under that discipline so that you may be restored.

First, there is an aspect here speaking toward right judgment of one’s self. Paul, though speaking in the context of division amongst the brethren, picks up this same exact theme in 1 Cor. 11. Paul highlights that due to the divisions and factions within the church, some who have participated in the Lord’s Supper in an unworthy manner became sick while others died (vv. 27-30).

He then demonstrates that this is a form of discipline from the Lord. For what purpose? The discipline of the Lord in this particular instance had a means of keeping them from condemnation (v. 32).

In other words, division within the church is not simply frowned upon, but if coupled with a cavalier attitude in taking the bread and the wine, can get you killed because you have profaned that which is set apart and consecrated. Discipline then serves the purpose of bringing Christians to sobriety – for God does not take sin lightly.

Secondly, there is an aspect to discipline that demonstrates rightful consequences to our actions. Though one may be forgiven for murdering an individual, it is right for them to bear the guilt of their crime.

Likewise, it is right to not trust a gossip with confidential matters or allow a thief to have full, unsupervised access to the church’s bank account. One would also be quite foolish to allow a sex offender to work in the children’s nursery or give an adulterous wife/husband. There are ample applications to this principle, but the point is that forgiveness does not look like unabashed foolishness and blind trust.

Third, there is an aspect to discipline that demonstrates God does not take sin lightly. Sin is what put Chris to the cross, it is what has separated mankind from God and has carried countless people to hell, and it has produced innumerable, horrible conditions upon this earth as we sin against one another.

Ultimately, those who are unreconciled to God will be met with an altogether terrifying level of judgment from God as He pours out His wrath upon them. It is richly described with metaphorical language likening this outpouring of wrath to a winepress being stomped upon – except the winepress will not pour out wine, but blood that shall reach the bridle of horses at a distance of roughly 183 miles (Rev. 14:20).

In all of this we must come to understand that forgiveness of sin certainly does not mean you will not be judged in any capacity. The Scripture teaches that you and I will be judged and held to account. We will not be condemned if we are in Christ, but we surely shall face judgment and be disciplined as a result.

Furthermore, this discipline may be present in your life until the day you die. Think of David, who as a result of him taking census, brings a plague upon the nation of Israel that killed 70,000 men (2 Sam. 24). His response? “I have sinned greatly in what I’ve done…Please, let us fall into the Lord’s hands because His mercies are great…”

Think of David yet again, who as a result of sending Uriah to die and taking Bathsheba as his own wife, not only lost his unborn child but gave his enemies occasion to blaspheme (2 Sam. 11-12). His response? “I have sinned against the Lord” (12:13). In fact, the entire life of David is a testimony to the faithful discipline of the Lord on His servant. His household was in continual tumult, ending in the death of some of his own children. He was defrocked from his throne a number of times in the midst of revolt on all sides, brought continual war upon the nation of Israel, and more.

The testimony of David’s life reveals the fact that not only was he esteemed as a man with a heart after God – but that in the midst of this, he was severely punished, but not condemned, for his wickedness.

When we look at another’s sin and pardon them without hesitation, saying that they not only deserve forgiveness, but no punishment whatsoever, we not only preach a half-truth, but demonstrate we have little concept of the utter holiness of God. Sin is never something to be taken lightly.

Sin always has consequences. The reality of death even demonstrates that though forgiveness can be found, there is yet punishment for sin. Some will also suffer loss in Heaven as a result of their sin, even though they will be saved (1 Cor. 3:15).

The sad reality is that most have simply bought into the lie that sin deserves no recompense, and in so doing, they have not only cheapened the sacrifice of Christ, but the offense of their sin before a holy God.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
More About Ethics

Jesus said, "But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."1

In my early days of ministry I was the South Australian director of Youth for Christ. At that time my most effective ministry was teaching Religious Instruction classes in the public high schools. Even though Australia is a very secular country, back then all students in public grade and high schools were required to attend a half-hour religious instruction class every week in school time. Strange as it may seem, students had to have a letter from their parents to be excused from attending these classes.

The classes were taught by the local churches and students could attend the class of their choice. However, the various church denominations voted to discontinue teaching these classes. At the time I remember talking to the assistant chief of police (superintendent) who was not a religious person, and he was furious at the churches for doing this.

He said to me, "Students badly need religious training." (NOTE: I have since learned that there has been instituted an Office of Chaplains for South Australian Schools which is now placing full=time church-paid chaplains in all state-run high schools and many grade or primary schools.)

Also in the city of Adelaide, the local city council in the area where I lived for a number of years emphasized the importance of the work that local churches were doing for the betterment of the community. There was no obsession about the separation of church and state supposedly being a part of the U.S. constitution. In fact, even non-religious people wisely acknowledged the need and importance of religious training and the work of the church for its social service and its teaching of morals and ethics.

Admittedly, there are some failures in church and religious circles but unfortunately it's these stories that the news media thrive on. They neglect to report on the tremendous impact that the church makes on society. Imagine what America and other countries would be like if all the church doors were forced to be closed? Sad to say, today too many anti-religious groups are accelerating their aggressive attacks on Christianity and tearing down our Judeo-Christian morals and ethics—the very foundation on which this nation was founded.

And here's just the tip of the iceberg of the effect this is having on our society. Chuck Colson in BreakPoint wrote some time ago: "A reporter for Forbes magazine observed an ethics class at Harvard Business School in which the professor and students discussed case studies but avoided coming to any moral conclusions.

Students were graded on how well they could logically defend their position, not on whether their position was actually defensible. The reporter wrote that students in this kind of class, rather than developing moral principles, merely "develop skills enabling them to rationalize anything short of cannibalism."2

"A poll by George Barna3 showed that 54 percent of people who called themselves born-again Christians do not believe in ultimate moral truth—without which, of course, there can be no ethics."4

If you and I are going to make a difference and have an impact on our society, we need to first of all live what we say we believe. And there is no greater resource than God's Word, the Bible, for knowing what is ethical and what is not. Furthermore, unless we Christians believe that God's Word holds ultimate moral truth, there is no hope of transforming society. Without this authority every man becomes a law unto himself.

Furthermore, if you would like a simple and effective formula for ethics, consider the following. In the book Ethics for Today, which was a text book for a college course I took a number of years ago, the author, whom I believe was Harold Titus, said words to this effect: If anything is helpful to myself or another—physically, emotionally, socially or spiritually—it is ethical. On the other hand, if anything is harmful to myself or another—physically, emotionally, socially or spiritually—it is unethical.

May God help each one of us to live accordingly.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, in this day of the accelerating erosion of our moral and ethical foundation, please help me to know Your Word, believe Your Word, and live in harmony with Your Word and thereby help to make an impact in 'my world'.

And help all Christians and Christian churches to find a way to make an ever increasing impact on our nation to rebuild and strengthen our moral and ethical foundations before we pass the point of no return. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus name, amen."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Got Risk . . . Discomfort?

For a day in Your courts
is better than a thousand elsewhere—Psalm 84:10

Years spent in luxury and comfort can’t compare to one day spent with God—in his presence; experiencing his love; living his truth; doing his work. And, astonishingly, God doesn’t offer us just single days . . . mere glimpses, fleeting encounters. He offers himself “more abundantly than all that we ask or think” (Ephesians 3:20-21). He offers all of himself, all the time—as much as we want, as much as we choose.

One proven method of choosing him is to strip away worldly comfort, strip away predictability and self-sufficiency . . . and intentionally move into situations we can’t handle on our own. Jesus sent his disciples into such situations: “I am sending you out as lambs in the midst of wolves” (Luke 10:3). He told them to travel light and resist taking anything that could provide comfort, predictability, self-sufficiency: money, extra clothing, extra stuff (Luke 10:4). They had to rely on him. And they returned full of joy (Luke 10:17). Because they’d been willing to move, in faith, into risk and discomfort, they got to spend precious days with God. Jesus told them:

“Blessed are the eyes that see what you see! For I tell you that many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.” (Luke 10:23-24).

Okay, so what do we do?

Ask yourself, what am I doing—right now—that requires faith? We get used to choosing risk and discomfort by practicing. So, look for ways to practice, brother. Look today for what moves your heart. Reach out to someone who needs help. Spend time with someone who needs a friend. Commit to a service project. Sign-up for a short-term mission trip. If you do, you’ll too have great stories to tell.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Continue in the faith.”

Acts 14:22

Perseverance is the badge of true saints. The Christian life is not a beginning only in the ways of God, but also a continuance in the same as long as life lasts. It is with a Christian as it was with the great Napoleon: he said, “Conquest has made me what I am, and conquest must maintain me.”

So, under God, dear brother in the Lord, conquest has made you what you are, and conquest must sustain you. Your motto must be, “Excelsior.” He only is a true conqueror, and shall be crowned at the last, who continueth till war's trumpet is blown no more.

Perseverance is, therefore, the target of all our spiritual enemies. The world does not object to your being a Christian for a time, if she can but tempt you to cease your pilgrimage, and settle down to buy and sell with her in Vanity Fair. The flesh will seek to ensnare you, and to prevent your pressing on to glory. “It is weary work being a pilgrim; come, give it up. Am I always to be mortified? Am I never to be indulged? Give me at least a furlough from this constant warfare.”

Satan will make many a fierce attack on your perseverance; it will be the mark for all his arrows. He will strive to hinder you in service: he will insinuate that you are doing no good; and that you want rest.

He will endeavour to make you weary of suffering, he will whisper, “Curse God, and die.” Or he will attack your steadfastness: “What is the good of being so zealous? Be quiet like the rest; sleep as do others, and let your lamp go out as the other virgins do.” Or he will assail your doctrinal sentiments: “Why do you hold to these denominational creeds?

Sensible men are getting more liberal; they are removing the old landmarks: fall in with the times.” Wear your shield, Christian, therefore, close upon your armour, and cry mightily unto God, that by his Spirit you may endure to the end.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How God Grants The Desires Of Our Heart: A Bible Study On Psalm 37

How does God grant the desires of our hearts? Psalm 37 tells us how.

Trust in God

If we truly trust God, we won’t be seeking to find our own solutions to things because God’s Word has answers for our everyday life. David writes, “Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness” (Psalm 37:3) and your anxieties will disappear.

If you trust God, then nothing should trouble your heart, so we begin with trust. If you do not trust God, you cannot please God because you don’t take Him at His Word, and He promises to never leave us for forsake us (Heb 13:5). We can trust that.

Is David writing this to himself, to mankind, or to God (or all three)?
Why does David say “Do not fret because of evil men” (Psalm 37:1a)?
Why should we not envy these who do wrong (Psalm 37:1a; see Rev 20:12-15, 21:8)?

Delight in God

When children do things to please us, we are delighted in them, and small children often delight in helping around the house, even if it takes 4 times a longer to do something, but how does delighting in the Lord help us receive the desires of our hearts?

David said “Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart” (Psalm 37:2), so if we are focused on pleasing God in our lives, we will be delighting the Lord and it will show up in the way that we live.

It actually says if we delight in the Lord, not if He delights in us, so it’s up to us to delight in the Lord and then it’s up to God to grant us the desires of our hearts, whatever they may be, however a person who delights in God will have desires that align with pleasing and glorifying God.

What is one of your greatest desires?
Does your desire match with what delights God?
In what ways can we delight in the Lord?

Commit to God

The psalmist writes, “Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act” (Psalm 37:5), so if you are committed to the Lord, you will do what He says, because a child of God will do what their Father says, and when you commit to obedience, God will act. God will not act for those who disobey.

The good news is, someday, “He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday” (Psalm 37:6), so if we know God will ensure justice is brought, we can commit more easily to Him because we can trust Him, knowing He does what He promises. Why would God act if you’re not committed to obeying Him?
In what ways does commitment show trust?

In what ways have you seen God act after your obedience?
Is God acting on your behalf conditional to trusting in Him? Explain
Is God acting on your behalf conditional to being committed to Him? Explain

Be Still Before God

If we are not thinking as God thinks, then being still before God, or waiting upon the Lord, might seem like a giant waste of time. Why just sit there? Here’s why; “the evildoers shall be cut off, but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land” (Psalm 37:9).

We must allow God to bring justice in His timing, so it might seem like a long, long wait, but placed against the backdrop of eternity, this time will seem infinitely short compared to the eternal glory that’s coming (Rom 8:18).

That should give us more patience. Besides, we’re commanded to “Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil” (Psalm 37:8). God’s judgment seat is a one-seater and there is no room for us.

I make a poor judge of the human heart because I can’t see into it like God can (1st Sam 16:7).
Does God’s coming judgment mean we should not fight for justice in this world?

What should be our response to evildoers (see Matt 5:11-12, 39)?
Describe what it is like to be “waiting” on the Lord, especially when it seems He delays.

The Meek and the Poor

In the world’s eyes, meekness is weakness, but that’s not true at all. Andre the Giant was a huge man and towered over everybody on the movie sets, but he was extremely meek, but would anyone ever accuse Andre the Giant of being weak? Not to his face! Moses was said to be the meekest man on the face of the earth (Num 12:3), but Moses was no weakling.

No man could have done what he did in leading ancient Israel out of Egypt and through the wilderness, journeying for forty years. Today, the meek don’t have much influence in this world, but someday, “the meek shall inherit the land and delight themselves in abundant peace” (Psalm 37:11), so even if you’re poor, the Bible says, “Better is the little that the righteous has than the abundance of many wicked” (Psalm 37:16).

Why do most people think being meek means being weak?
How is meekness actually strength?
Why is it better to have a little with the godly than much with the wicked?
Does this teaching remind you of certain Beatitudes Jesus taught? Which ones (Matt 5)?

Established Steps

I am not the most coordinated person in my family. My girls stole all the grace while my son and I were left wanting, but regardless of that, “The steps of a man are established by the LORD, when he delights in his way” (Psalm 37:23), and that’s more important footing than where your physical foot goes.

God will established your steps when you delight in Him, and as we have read, to delight in someone is to have a heart bent toward pleasing them, making them happy, listening to them, and obeying them, so even “though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the LORD upholds his hand” (Psalm37:24).

David has learned from experience that God will establish the footing of those who delight in Him, and so he can write from experience, “I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread” (Psalm 37:25).

When you read such precious promises like this, you cannot help but delight in God because He does not forsake His own (Heb 13:5). David has seen repeatedly that God is faithful to those whose delight is in Him.
Instead of asking questions here, let me show you what God says we are to do;

Do not worry (1), but trust (3), and delight (4), so you can rest in Him (7), and even in disaster (19), and even when we stumble (24), the Lord preserves His children (28), but for now, we must wait upon the Lord (34), and upon His timing.

He is coming again. How soon? I don’t know. It seems soon, but the church has felt that way for the last 2,000 years, but I think that’s a good thing, because we’re told to be ready for His return, at any given moment, and that compels us to live a more godly life. At least it should.

Conclusion

The promises of God in Psalm 37 should bring us delight, and for those who delight in Him, He will establish their ways…all the way into eternity, or as David wrote, “he will not forsake his saints. They are preserved forever” (Psalm 37:28), and someday (soon?) in the kingdom, “The righteous shall inherit the land and dwell upon it forever” (Psalm 37:29).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Cursed be the man before the Lord, that riseth up and buildeth this city Jericho.”

Joshua 6:26

Since he was cursed who rebuilt Jericho, much more the man who labours to restore Popery among us. In our fathers’ days the gigantic walls of Popery fell by the power of their faith, the perseverance of their efforts, and the blast of their gospel trumpets; and now there are some who would rebuild that accursed system upon its old foundation. O Lord, be pleased to thwart their unrighteous endeavours, and pull down every stone which they build.

It should be a serious business with us to be thoroughly purged of every error which may have a tendency to foster the spirit of Popery, and when we have made a clean sweep at home we should seek in every way to oppose its all too rapid spread abroad in the church and in the world.

This last can be done in secret by fervent prayer, and in public by decided testimony.

We must warn with judicious boldness those who are inclined towards the errors of Rome; we must instruct the young in gospel truth, and tell them of the black doings of Popery in the olden times. We must aid in spreading the light more thoroughly through the land, for priests, like owls, hate daylight.

Are we doing all we can for Jesus and the gospel? If not, our negligence plays into the hands of the priestcraft.

What are we doing to spread the Bible, which is the Pope's bane and poison? Are we casting abroad good, sound gospel writings? Luther once said, “The devil hates goose quills” and, doubtless, he has good reason, for ready writers, by the Holy Spirit's blessing, have done his kingdom much damage.

If the thousands who will read this short word this night will do all they can to hinder the rebuilding of this accursed Jericho, the Lord's glory shall speed among the sons of men. Reader, what can you do? What will you do?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Family Home

Sandra and Bill finally had the home of their dreams. It had taken them fifteen years to save enough money to buy the home but today was move-in day and they were joyful! Their very own home and a day they would never forget.

It seemed so long ago the memories of where they used to live—a Children’s Home on the east side of town. They were so young then—Sandra ten and Bill, only eight. Both had been abandoned by their parents and at that time, was the only place that would take them in.

It was the early 70s and many in America were in turmoil over high gas prices, the war in Viet Nam and what was then considered, high food prices. The divorce rate was high and living together was becoming more acceptable. Foster’s Children’s Home was one of the very few places where a child like Sandra and Bill could live, except of course, for the many foster care programs springing up almost everywhere.

It wasn’t long after Sandra and Bill met, when they became fast friends and were seldom lonely like so many others at the Home. As they aged, they became close and found that they had a lot in common. Both enjoyed collecting rocks and kept a diary of daily events. After high school they married and worked hard so that one day they would have a home of their own, a home of privacy and beauty.

That day had finally come and the three-bedroom, two baths, with many accessories had become a wonderful reality for two who had so little in their young lives, with longings that festered in the quiet of their souls.

As Sandra viewed the home now filled with many boxes and furniture, she was in awe with how much room they had. With their children Millie and Tod now grown and out in the world, it would be a home just for the two of them.

As she gazed into the kitchen, filled with modern appliances and everything gleaming, she recalled an incident that occurred many years ago in the kitchen of the Children’s Home. She happened one day to walk into that old, decapitated kitchen in the middle of the day and saw the cook preparing the day’s dinner.

She asked for a snack and the cook, a middle-aged woman named Connie replied, “Now Sandy, we just had lunch. You couldn’t possibly be hungry now! I’m busy preparing for dinner and I just don’t have time to fix you anything and besides, John Crawmer, the man who runs this place absolutely forbids me from doing anything like that! Now, go skedaddle!”

Sandra must have looked so very sad and hungry that shortly after Connie spoke those words she whispered, “Look, I’m going to do something I shouldn’t do and I might get in trouble if I’m caught but I’ve been where you’re at now and I’ll make this one exception. Go to the frig and bring out the cheese. It’s wrapped in aluminum on the second shelf. I’ll slice you a piece.”

Sandra brought out the cheese and Connie went to one of the kitchen’s drawers and brought out a clean, sharp knife. Carefully, she cut a nice-sized piece for the hungry girl.

She handed her the cheese and Sandra stepped back a few steps, stood at the end of the long table and with deep appreciation showing in her blue eyes, smiled and said, “Thank you, Connie!”

Years later after leaving the Home, Sandra heard similar tales from others about Connie, the cook. She never forgot the woman’s kindness and as she looked one again at her new kitchen, she knew that whoever came to this kitchen would never leave hungry or leave without knowing the story of Connie, the lovely and caring cook of The Home.