• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Christians want quick City Harvest Church trial

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: The group meets every Saturday evening at one of their homes. They read prayers, talk about their struggles with faith and catch up on their friends’ happenings for the past week.

On Saturday, this Christian prayer group in Singapore had the City Harvest Church scandal on their minds, and they were frustrated that the financial scandal at the mega-church was dragging on this long.

“I kind of feel as though the government is trying to drag it out to try and tell us that religion is bad,” said Thomas, a Singaporean citizen of British origin. He told Bikyamasr.com that “this scandal has really affected all Christians in Singapore and we just want it to be over so Jesus Christ is not defamed.”

Others nod their head in agreement. They believe that if the City Harvest Church leadership is guilty of using the church’s money for personal projects, they should be punished according to the law.

“But it shouldn’t be seen as an attack against religion,” began Jane, 33, a mother of two who hosted the most recent meeting. “I believe in Singapore and as a Chinese Christian woman here, it is important that people don’t see this as Christian corruption. It is plain old corruption and if they are guilty, they should be punished, but it is not Christians’ fault.”

Their sentiments have been echoed in previous interviews by Bikyamasr.com with Christians in the country. Many fear that the scandal is taking too long to investigate and with an expected trial to begin next month, it could see the controversy play out for a much longer period.

They believe that the government and the prosecution should do more to ensure that anti-Christian sentiment doesn’t grow.

“I would like to see the government come out, even the prime minister, and say that this is a matter that is not about faith or religion. It would be a good step for the country,” added Thomas.

Bikyamasr.com has followed the controversy closely over the weeks, highlighting the inside workings of the mega-church. The issue has struck home for many Christians in the country who feel the situation in Singapore for them is being tarnished by the actions of a few individuals.

The founder of Singapore’s embattled City Harvest Church Kong Hee issued a statement late on Wednesday detailing the charges against him as well as maintaining that he did not participate in any wrongdoing and again maintained his “integrity.”

“The Prosecution has brought three charges against me, which I have carefully considered with my lawyers,” he began in a statement to the media.

“I do maintain my integrity, and will rigorously defend that integrity against these charges,” Kong Hee continued.

He is charged with misusing church funds and corruption charges as the head of the Singapore mega-church. If convicted, he could face a lengthy jail sentence.

“I have and will continue to place my faith and trust in our judicial system. I will explain the facts and circumstances to the Court, and am confident that I will be vindicated.

“Sun and I would like to take this opportunity to thank God for all the people who have blessed us with their love, kindness and prayers during this challenging period of time. We have been tremendously humbled by the support and encouragement from the public, family and friends. We especially thank all those from City Harvest Church and the Christian community at large. They have been a constant source of strength.

“I respect the Court proceedings which are underway, and will not make any comment about the charges until the appropriate time and forum.”

The case was adjourned on Wednesday until August 30.

In late June, as the church was charged with misusing some $50 million of church money, they appointed New Zealand’s Reverend Phil Pringle and Reverend A.R. Bernard to function as advisory pastors in order to maintain services for worshipers without break.

Pringle is the founder and senior minister of Christian City Church in Sydney, Australia.

But now that he is in Singapore, working for a church embattled with corruption charges, he has become targeted by the Christian watchdog organization C3 Church Watch, which tasks itself with overseeing good practices at Christian organizations globally.

The group’s blog said that it was “designed to watch and monitor C3 Church and its pastors, specifically Phil Pringle.”

It has raised questions about the New Zealand-born pastor’s religious credentials and teachings.

It is the latest in a weeklong battle over embezzlement charges and fears that the situation could potentially see the end of City Harvest, which hosted some 14,000 over the weekend in services.

Controversy

The church’s founder Kong Hee was quick to acknowledge why some 8,000 people had packed into the church earlier this month for his sermon.

“I also know that you are all here tonight to hear something from me.

“As you know, the past few days have been very challenging for me, my family and my team, and many allegations have been made in the media.

“Obviously, as this is an ongoing case, I cannot comment on the details, but please know that there are always two sides to every story. I look forward to the day when I can tell you my side of the story in court,” he said.

Seven minutes into his sermon about a woman who had worshiped Jesus humbly, Kong stopped and told his congregation, “Yes, I do maintain my integrity.”

But it comes on the back of much controversy and uncertainty regarding the church’s future.

Singapore’s City Harvest Church Executive Pastor Aries Zulkarnain said last Thursday evening that he and his Church stand by members accused of embezzling and misusing funds.

He said the Church will maintain support for the accused throughout the court proceedings.

Another pastor from the Church, Bobby Chaw, added that City Harvest has “actively worked to ensure good governance and have complied with codes set by the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports.”

Five members of City Harvest Church were charged by a court on Wednesday of corruption, misuse of funds and embezzlement, Channel NewsAsia reported.

The report said the court charged City Harvest Church founder Kong Hee with three charges, while senior pastor Tan Ye Peng faces 10 charges. Finance manager Tan Shao Yuen faces seven charges.

Senior member Chew Eng Han also faces 10 charges and former secretary of the church’s management board Lam Leng Hung faces three charges.

The five allegedly diverted some S$23 million (RM57 million) of the church’s money to fund Ho Yeow Sun’s music career in the United States. Ho is Kong Hee’s wife.

CNA said they were charged for another S$26.6 million (RM66 million) of misappropriated funds, used to redeem “sham bonds” to cover their tracks.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortunately, Kong and gang are intent on dragging out the legal proceedings by each engaging different law firms to represent them.
If Kong is really so confident of being vindicated like he said, wouldn't he want the trail to end as fast as possible?
They did it knowing very well they will be going to jail and want to buy time.
This thing can drag 6 - 12 months.

M

Mdm Tang

In America ; they have the Rev Billy Graham as their Unofficial spokeperson ...

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore government should start inviting Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and the like to give seminars here and brand all these God-worship religious fuckheads as mentally retards.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6QlaF8VdT2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EJLqDSfv6dU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Richard Dawkins can't debate.

[video=youtube;2FARDDcdFaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FARDDcdFaQ[/video]

Last edited:

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
The article has confirmed that many Christians in Singapore put their own religion first before anything else including the alleged misdeeds of Con hi and his gang and its effect on the well-being of Singapore society of all races and religions.

As the article wrote, many wanted to see a quick way for the saga to end and wanted the govt to assure that it is not going after the religion. They however did not want to see the issue objectively. As Kinana has indicated, it is those accused who are trying to make the trial last as long as possible with pastors adding in comments , hiring senior counsels etc and not the authorities. Jane, a chinese christian also wanted the issue to be separated with faith saying this is a "plain old corruption'. She however did not want to comment that this stuffs are done by people of her faith and in the vicinity of the church and religion. Con Hii statement is another example.It is exactly these reasons, that the State have to investigate more so that people trust in all religions cannot be used to swindle innocents of their hard earned money for the luxurious lifestyles of a few.

While there are a few, most comments were directed at the dozens of preachers who alleged misused church funds and not directly at the religion. If the group has real concerns, then they should voiced up at such practices of some churches which are not in line with Christian teachings than worrying about the effects of the saga. These do not only mean CHC but some aspects such as aggressive proselytisation(in schools, hospitals, public spaces) and religious intolerance by some churches (Rony Tan etc) in secular Singapore which is not in line with our multi-racial/religious social harmony.

Unless the groups worry about not able to convert as many people as possible to the faith or that their proselytisation campaigns will be affected, i believe the Christian faith in Spore is not affected at all and Christians Sporeans are and will always be part of the fabric of our nation.

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
" I kind of feel as though the government is trying to drag it out to try and tell us that religion is bad,” said Thomas, a Singaporean citizen of British origin. He told Bikyamasr.com that “this scandal has really affected all Christians in Singapore and we just want it to be over so Jesus Christ is not defamed.” " They believe that the government and the prosecution should do more to ensure that anti-Christian sentiment doesn’t grow ".

knn those christians scare their cult tiok sabo whahahahaha :wink: when something happen to any cult their members always become defensive and say "oh , our "cult" never do that ....only them :wink:

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
" I kind of feel as though the government is trying to drag it out to try and tell us that religion is bad,” said Thomas, a Singaporean citizen of British origin. He told Bikyamasr.com that “this scandal has really affected all Christians in Singapore and we just want it to be over so Jesus Christ is not defamed.” " They believe that the government and the prosecution should do more to ensure that anti-Christian sentiment doesn’t grow ".

knn those christians scare their cult tiok sabo whahahahaha :wink: when something happen to any cult their members always become defensive and say "oh , our "cult" never do that ....only them :wink:

why are you so anti Christian Drifter?

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singapore government should start inviting Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and the like to give seminars here and brand all these God-worship religious fuckheads as mentally retards.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6QlaF8VdT2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EJLqDSfv6dU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thats why i always say why should we respect religion ?

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
im not anti-christian . i just dont believe in any religion . i dont only debunk your faith ...i debunk everyone faith :wink:

From your postings, you are are anti Christianity. You just don't have the guts to admit it, thats all.

Why must everyone believe what you believe sir? Whats wrong with you?

TheDarkKnightRises

Alfrescian
Loyal

From your postings, you are are anti Christianity. You just don't have the guts to admit it, thats all.

Faith is the no1 cause of death for humanity, believe this fact first, before believing in god

The night is dark n full of terror, get used to it

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

idiot, did i ask ppl to believe what i say ? only christian like you bother about what ppl think about your cult and your religious delusion :wink: you cult worshipper are all the same ..when kena corned you guys will kpkb say why you so anti-christianity ...nothing new to me :wink: whahhahahah.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Christians, please read this book:

121649_big.jpg

It tells you a lot about the evangelical church business.

It is not a book that 'disproves' Christianity, so you can shed the 'Christian apologist mode' and read it.

I can name you a few profiteering crooks from the book, Singaporean and non-Singaporean:

Lawrence Khong
Kong Hee
Rick Warren
Bill Bright
John Haggai
Billy Graham
David Yonggi Cho

...and many more.

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
i would also agree that the government is dragging the CHC case,,,,

they should instead sentenced them to death and thats it,,,,,

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
“I kind of feel as though the government is trying to drag it out to try and tell us that religion is bad,” said Thomas, a Singaporean citizen of British origin. He told Bikyamasr.com that “this scandal has really affected all Christians in Singapore and we just want it to be over so Jesus Christ is not defamed.”

They believe that the government and the prosecution should do more to ensure that anti-Christian sentiment doesn’t grow.

“I would like to see the government come out, even the prime minister, and say that this is a matter that is not about faith or religion. It would be a good step for the country,” added Thomas.

How about the defame indigenous religions constantly suffer at the hand of Christian leaders?
How about the condemnation non-believers are constantly subjected to by Christians?

I would also like the government to come out too. Everyone needs a breathing space in this society.