• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Student jailed for 48 years for double killing has convictions quashed

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.news.com.au/national/stu...victions-quashed/story-fndo4eg9-1226436066145

A STUDENT who was jailed for at least 48 years has been acquitted on appeal of the murder of his two flatmates.

A three-judge panel in the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal today quashed Ram Puneet Tiwary's convictions for the September 2003 murders of Chow Lyang Tay and Poh Chuan Tan, both aged 26.

In 2009, Mr Tiwary, then aged 30, was found guilty of murdering his flatmates at their shared flat in Kingsford, Sydney, by bludgeoning them with a baseball bat and stabbing them.

All three were Singaporeans who were studying engineering at the nearby University of NSW.

Mr Tiwary claimed he was asleep in his bedroom when his flatmates were attacked, but the crown alleged he owed $5000 in rent and that his life was falling apart because of the debt.

He was initially convicted of the murders in 2005 and sentenced to life imprisonment without parole, but the Court of Criminal Appeal ordered a retrial in 2008.

In 2009, he was sentenced to a minimum of 48 years' imprisonment after a second jury found him guilty of the murders.

Chief Justice Tom Bathurst, Justice Elizabeth Fullerton and Justice James Allsop today quashed both murder convictions and acquitted him on both counts.

The reasons for their decision will be made available at a later date.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Something strange here.

Ah neh gave bribe or uses some unorthodox means to change the judges mind.

Sinkie beware, loads of Ah neh have flooded in. LOL

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah neh acquitted for murdering 2 singaporean students in Sydney

A STUDENT who was jailed for at least 48 years has been acquitted on appeal of the murder of his two flatmates.

A three-judge panel in the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal today quashed Ram Puneet Tiwary's convictions for the September 2003 murders of Chow Lyang Tay and Poh Chuan Tan, both aged 26.

In 2009, Mr Tiwary, then aged 30, was found guilty of murdering his flatmates at their shared flat in Kingsford, Sydney, by bludgeoning them with a baseball bat and stabbing them.

All three were Singaporeans who were studying engineering at the nearby University of NSW.

Mr Tiwary claimed he was asleep in his bedroom when his flatmates were attacked, but the crown alleged he owed $5000 in rent and that his life was falling apart because of the debt.

He was initially convicted of the murders in 2005 and sentenced to life imprisonment without parole, but the Court of Criminal Appeal ordered a retrial in 2008.

In 2009, he was sentenced to a minimum of 48 years' imprisonment after a second jury found him guilty of the murders.

Chief Justice Tom Bathurst, Justice Elizabeth Fullerton and Justice James Allsop today quashed both murder convictions and acquitted him on both counts.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Ah neh acquitted for murdering 2 singaporean students in Sydney

So who murdered them...some supernatural spirits??

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal

The title it self is wrong, Tiwary is a born and Bred Singaporean(North Indian Singaporean), the other 2 chap was he room-mate.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal

The name TIWARY does ring bells; in legal community here.

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal

The name TIWARY does ring bells; in legal community here.

Tiwary is a big shot government Lawyer(Was the main lawyer during the Pedra branca case with Malaysia) He passed away 2 years ago. He has another son also a lawyer. - This guy is not related to Tiwary

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aussie kangaroo court clears Ram Tiwary of 2003 UNSW housemate murders!

[h=1]S'porean Tiwary cleared of Sydney double murder[/h]
20120727.174228_ramtiwary.jpg

AsiaOne
Friday, Jul 27, 2012

A Singaporean man convicted in 2003 of murdering his flatmates has won an appeal against his conviction.

Australia's ABC news reported that a three-judge panel in an appeal court acquitted him on Thursday, but have not yet published the reasons for the decision.

Ram Puneet Tiwary was studying in Sydney when he was accused of murdering his two Singaporean flatmates Tony Tan Poh Chuan and Tay Chow Lyang.

The trio were studying at the University of New South Wales.

The victims were stabbed and beaten to death with a baseball bat.

Tiwary had told the court he was asleep in his room at the time of the murders.

He was first convicted in 2006 for the double murders, and sentenced to life imprisonment without parole.

He appealed successfully two years later, and was sentenced to 48 years' jail in 2009.

He spent more than eight years in jail.

[email][email protected]
[/EMAIL]

jw5

Loyal
Re: Aussie kangaroo court clears Ram Tiwary of 2003 UNSW housemate murders!

Article from CNA:

S'porean Ram Tiwary acquitted of double murder

SYDNEY: An appeals court in Australia has acquitted Singaporean Ram Puneet Tiwary, who was twice convicted of murdering his two flatmates in Sydney.

The 33 year old has spent more than eight years behind bars and will likely go free.

Tiwary was accused of murdering fellow Singaporeans Tay Chow Lyang and Tony Tan Poh Chuan, both aged 26, in 2003. The two were stabbed and clubbed to death with a baseball bat.

All three were studying at the University of New South Wales at the time.

Tiwary was convicted of both murders in 2006 and given a life sentence without parole.

He successfully appealed, but faced a retrial in 2009. He was again found guilty, and this time, handed a jail term of 48 years.

Tiwary has maintained his innocence, claiming he was asleep at the time of the brutal attacks.

But prosecutors said Tiwary killed his flatmates over money he owed in rent, said to be more than US$5,000.

The three-judge panel in the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal on Thursday quashed both murder convictions and acquitted him on both counts.

The appeals court is expected to reveal the reasons for the acquittal at a later date.

Channel NewsAsia spoke to Tiwary's cousin, as well as the family members of one of the victims.

The parents of Tony Tan Poh Chuan, Tan Wee Sea and Chiew Lee Hua, said that they were shocked and upset when they learnt about Tiwary's acquittal.

While it has been more than eight years, they still mourn the loss of their only son.

Ms Chiew Lee Hua said: "Losing a son is very painful, losing your own flesh and blood, there's no cure, it's very painful. My heart pounds everyday. My son is a very good boy, very filial, and hardworking around the house. If I ask him for money, he will give it to me. Now he can't do that."

When news of Ram Tiwary's acquittal broke, it came as a shock to the Tans.

"I am unhappy. There's no reason. Two lives are gone just like that," said Ms Chiew.

Tan's father, Tan Wee Sea, a plumber, said that he was surprised and could not believe that Tiwary was acquitted.

As for Ram Tiwary's family, his cousin said he was "very relieved" by the decision.

Mr Ramesh Tiwary, said that his cousin, who is still in Australia, is expected to be released soon and return home.

He said: "We've been going down to visit him very regularly and I found him to always be in very good spirits. And although he was naturally concerned about the charges he was facing, I think he always knew, that because he was innocent, he would be acquitted."

- CNA/al/ac

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

yeah some chow keling murders 2 chinese and gets away.

General

Alfrescian
Loyal

yeah some chow keling murders 2 chinese and gets away.

obviously u dont know the true facts of the case and im pretty sure u werent present in court and neither are u competent enough to give judgements. but well, wat do i say...your slanted small eyes can only see this much....

jw5

Loyal

The appeals court is expected to reveal the reasons for the acquittal at a later date.

I have been following this case since it happened and am waiting with bated breath for those reasons.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sun-hater flop kills two yellow nerd flops and is freed.

This world is dark and unfair indeed. The three of them should have been extinguished in the derby unfortunately.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
very strange.
if he was trial for 2 times and convicted. how come suddenly he is innocent for the 3rd time?:mad:
if ttz the case, if the victim family members wanted to sue him again? will he become convicted again the 4th time?

truly kangaroo court?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have been following this case since it happened and am waiting with bated breath for those reasons.

Thought kelong only in sports. Changed my mind after this case.

jw5

Loyal

Thought kelong only in sports. Changed my mind after this case.

I am waiting for the reasons for the acquittal.
Perhaps they found those people who supposedly had given one of the victims a ride in their car.
Or perhaps they discovered the reason why the accused bought the baseball bat a few days before the incident.
Or perhaps the reason why he told different people different accounts of the day he was asleep and didn't hear anything.
One thing is certain, they didn't get a confession.

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal

I always found this case a little iffy... Why kill two people over $5000? I mean this guy does not come from a poor family.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I always found this case a little iffy... Why kill two people over $5000? I mean this guy does not come from a poor family.

If ah ram is really innocent then pui chow nua locked up 8 years for nothing.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal

interestingly, Ram could b made as a Fall Guy for someone in Qz land.
8 yrs passed by, and many things vaporized. Who knows?
Let us await the statement.