• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any Sotong Lovers here ?..

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually me used to like sotong until one day someone told me sailors use it when out at sea and cannot find women. :(

Thats just another grandmother story lah.. Back then when I was workin on board a vessel, our vessel crew would go fishing for small squids during the nite using handlines.. After catching these squids, they would wash them, cut into slices and ate them raw.. Taste sweet but chewy.. Other method to eat it is by washing it first then boiling it with soy sauce and vinegar..

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
me think nothing beats steamed sotongs caught freshly, just wash them clean and steam it :smile::smile::smile:

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I like hai yang's soy sauce sotong, prego's deep fried calamari, sin hai san (east coast)'s steam mini squid....

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me; for one :

sotong-1.jpg

Above is an itaLian inspired sotong dish done with thymes, garLics sauteed in oLive oiLs ..
..but deep down i wouLd aLways go out of my way, Looking for that perfect sotong masak hitam...
:smile:

Sotong masak hitam!!!!!

wah bro, you are the champion man... you really know how to stir up my memories....
the best one was unfortunately cooked by my granny who is long gone... always brings back wonderful thoughts about her whenever i eat this dish!

hawker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exact opposite of you guys. Hate everything about the plasticky sotong from young. When I eat hokkien mee I will tell the hawker 'mai sotong'. Even if inside my food have 1 piece I will remove it. I rather go hungry then eat sotong. Same dislike for octopus.

The only sotong I eat is the small fried 'sotong kia'.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Exact opposite of you guys. Hate everything about the plasticky sotong from young. When I eat hokkien mee I will tell the hawker 'mai sotong'. Even if inside my food have 1 piece I will remove it. I rather go hungry then eat sotong. Same dislike for octopus.

Bro, how about this version of 'sotong kia' ; eh sai bo ?..:wink:

babysquid.jpg

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The deep fried crispy version of squids also delicious....
Hard to buy baby squids....all booked by restaurants and zhi char stalls.

True, but shouLd you rise earLy and hit to any wet market before 7am; sureLy you wouLd not be dissapointed..

lee6100

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hawker centre at Block 503 West Coast Drive opposite the Chinese
temple has got excellent Sotong Penyet. One of the stalls in the
middle row.

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal

Then may i humbly recommend my favourite seafood BBQ at Fengshan Food Centre _ now in a transit market around the next corner - Chan"s BBQ!!! Champion sambal sotong with pineapple!!! I always wack a plate of their 'dancing" sambal see-hum as well... damm shiok w a ice cold bottle of tsing dao hahahaha

:smile:)

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hawker centre at Block 503 West Coast Drive opposite the Chinese
temple has got excellent Sotong Penyet. One of the stalls in the
middle row.
The MaLay or Ah neh staLL ?..never heard of Sotong Penyet before .

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me; for one :

sotong-1.jpg

Above is an itaLian inspired sotong dish done with thymes, garLics sauteed in oLive oiLs ..
..but deep down i wouLd aLways go out of my way, Looking for that perfect sotong masak hitam...

Walau eh bro, sio-bak block arteries.

Now sotong very high cholestrol leh.

From the kind of foods you like to consume, I guess you not the slim type hor.

Townair

Alfrescian
Loyal
I take sotong to mean both white sotong and orange cuttlefish. I love both anyway. When I chap chai png stall has sotong I always pick it. When I order yong tau foo I always pick it too. I seldom eat Indian rojak but when I do I always order it when I do. It's interesting how they season it soft and red? Also interesting is Indian and Malay always serve cuttlefish they call sotong too, seldom white sotong more common with Chinese.

Last edited:

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me; for one :

sotong-1.jpg

Best is steam sotong with "kei" 油 teochew style