• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NYC is cheaper to live in then Sydney.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
People that wants to migrate to Sydney should take note of this. If you think you can't make it here please go to NYC instead. A lot of Aussies are there as well.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/economic-refugees-flee-sydney-for-nyc-20120625-20yh2.html

Economic refugees flee Sydney for NYC
Brigid Delaney
June 26, 2012
OPINION
Read laterComments 132 Vote

Manhattan 2012 ... a better deal than Sydney?
I finish my delicious, very large chicken and salad sandwich ($5), before taking the train ($2.25) home to my massive apartment ($400 a week), stopping off on the way at a bar to meet some friends for a cocktail ($8) where the waitress - seemingly unaware of the concept of standard measures - slugs a couple of extra shots in my drink.

No, it's not Sydney, circa 1992 - it's Manhattan, 2012.

You do not get much change from $10 for a sandwich in Sydney, a bus from the city to Bondi is $3.30, cocktails are as much as $20 and the city boasts some of the most unaffordable housing in the world.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Sydney (11), Melbourne (15) and Perth (19) now rank among the world's most expensive cities, while London languishes in 25th spot and New York in 33rd, according to the Mercer Worldwide Cost of Living Survey 2012 released this month.

My last flat in Sydney - sharing with one other - was a small box we leased for about $700 a week. But we had a glimpse of the sea through the bars on the windows.

Australians with low or average incomes have been forced for years to be creative: some stay in share houses well into their 30s; others move back with parents; one friend in the not-for-profit sector confessed recently he was staying with an incompatible but corporate girlfriend because he could not afford to rent by himself.

It's boom time in Australia and if you're in the fluoro-vest economy, you're so loaded you can commute to your second home in Bali. For the rest of the country, however, it's getting a tad difficult to just, you know, live.

The Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, says she can understand the cost of living pressures on families earning $150,000 a year, but what about those earning a fraction of that?

Perhaps they should do what I and thousands of others have done and move somewhere cheaper - such as New York.

NYC & Company, the city's tourism body, released data last month estimating that a staggering 1500 Australians are arriving in New York each day.

The spokesman Chris Heywood was overjoyed at the invasion: "There are people who come here for long stretches of time and visitor numbers have catapulted into mind-boggling territory - it's almost tripled from previous years."

But it's not just for holidays. New York is seeing a wave of Australian ''knowledge worker'' migrants, taking advantage of the E3 work visas introduced in 2005.

The New York Times reports the large number of Australians in the city "appears to be helped by an influx of young professionals seeking opportunities overseas".

Tony Waldron, 33, of Sydney, who is working in New York as a graphic designer on an E3 visa, says the typical Australian he meets here is "the second wave who maybe went and worked in London in their 20s and went back to Australia but weren't ready to settle down. New York is a logical place to go next."

What about the recession? "You can live cheaply in Brooklyn and freelance back to Australia if you want to earn a strong currency but not pay big rent," he says.

Brendan Moffitt, 35, of Sydney, has been living in New York for five years on an artist's visa and says while the cost of housing is comparable with Australia, "New York has cheaper public transport, groceries, phone plans, taxis, clothing and eating out."

Two weeks ago at the Australian consulate in New York, at a talk by the writer Anna Funder, the room was filled with Australian freelance journalists and writers, subletting flats through Craigslist and exchanging tips on good immigration lawyers and job prospects.

I met some who, unburdened by the huge student loans American graduates face, were taking up jobs in the (less than well paid) cultural or non-profit institutions and others who were taking advantage of lower than usual rents to linger and maybe knock out that play or book that they had been thinking about, but could not afford to do in Australia.

In 2002, Richard Florida wrote The Rise of the Creative Class, saying knowledge workers invigorated cities, made neighbourhoods more dynamic and stimulated innovation.

But in an economy driven by flouro-vests, with house prices to match their salaries, Australia's creative classes are being forced to get a bit creative about where they live.

Brigid Delaney is the author of This Restless Life.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/socie...ney-for-nyc-20120625-20yh2.html#ixzz1yr4JAsse

Meltdown

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's no surprise that the cost of living in Sydney and Melbourne are becoming too expensive given the huge influx of Asian migrants in recent years. When they arrived, they need housing which drove up the rentals and prices of real estate. The Chinks with deep pockets are displacing the Ang Mohs in their own cities.

I expect the Ang Mohs to become a minority in Sydney and Melbourne within a few decades just like in Los Angeles and San Francisco today. There is a demographic change taking place in most Ang Moh countries because they aren't giving birth to enough babies to maintain their population.

Within a few decades, cities like Vancouver, Sydney, and Melbourne will be another Singapore or Hong Kong.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some suburbs in Sydney are already 2nd, 3rd chinatowns. Hurstville, eastwood, chatswood. We also have koreatown like Strathfields, and little middle-east like lakemba, auburn.

It's no surprise that the cost of living in Sydney and Melbourne are becoming too expensive given the huge influx of Asian migrants in recent years. When they arrived, they need housing which drove up the rentals and prices of real estate. The Chinks with deep pockets are displacing the Ang Mohs in their own cities.

I expect the Ang Mohs to become a minority in Sydney and Melbourne within a few decades just like in Los Angeles and San Francisco today. There is a global demographic change taking place.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some suburbs in Sydney are already 2nd, 3rd chinatowns. Hurstville, eastwood, chatswood. We also have koreatown like Strathfields, and little middle-east like lakemba, auburn.

2011 Census.
Sydney is Mandarin/Cantonese.
Melbourne is Hindi.
Perth is more expensive than Oslo Norway :eek: OK. Tokyo also.

Carbon tax coming 1 July. I need to outsource to NZ and Malaysia. :biggrin:
Nothing like earning OZ income on NZ cost.

If I serve $14 Kolok Mee at the Canbarra Parliament tuckshop, Maybe Finance minister Penny Wong will pound her face into Roti Prata for being such a lesbian mixup. Has she forgotten why her brother committed suicide?

Pity those suckers at ATO. The law is on my side.

Can never imagine doing this in Chinapore.

Last edited:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal

half of eastwood is chinese and the other is korean, Campsie is fast becoming C-town too...newtown is thai town, cambra and fairfield v-town.....kingsford, kensington filled with indons...

YEllow power!!!!!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't forget Pinoytown in bankstown area and Ah neh town in Paramatta area!

half of eastwood is chinese and the other is korean, Campsie is fast becoming C-town too...newtown is thai town, cambra and fairfield v-town.....kingsford, kensington filled with indons...

YEllow power!!!!!

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't forget Pinoytown in bankstown area and Ah neh town in Paramatta area!

haha yeah.....krafty kelings always like to hang around their parramatta harris park area.....their fav corners......i know quite a number moved there....as if parramatta is the only suburb in sydney....lol

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'll be moving to bogansville later part of the year. Sick of getting crowded in all these chinatown places.

haha yeah.....krafty kelings always like to hang around their parramatta harris park area.....their fav corners......i know quite a number moved there....as if parramatta is the only suburb in sydney....lol

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah, can't wait to shout "G'day mate" the whole day there. At times, I don't even feel like I've migrated to another country.

even the younger generation of aussies especially the ones from the East Coast cities doesnt pronounce the british or australia "A" anymore...they all want to sound amerikunts....

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'll be moving to bogansville later part of the year. Sick of getting crowded in all these chinatown places.

You got me stoked. wat's wrong with those chinese places? you get comfort food nearby.
Sometimes, I wish I have more Malaysian families nearby, some are quite entreprenuer and offer home-cooked dinners delivered to customers in their suburb a few times a week.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you like that you should move to Sydney. Campsie, got this nice malaysian place. Pretty authentic malaysian cuisine. Roti prata selling for $10 a piece in chinatown here. Opened by malaysian chinese not mak mak. Heaps of restaurants here have nice authentic food. The only food I haven't been able to get is kwai chup, the white noodle with black soup and the pig's intestine, egg, preserved vege here. Lets just say, I'm getting bored by the crowd, food, and want to try something new.

"G'day mate, lets put a shrimp on the barBie. " :wink:

You got me stoked. wat's wrong with those chinese places? you get comfort food nearby.
Sometimes, I wish I have more Malaysian families nearby, some are quite entreprenuer and offer home-cooked dinners delivered to customers in their suburb a few times a week.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lets just say, I'm getting bored by the crowd, food, and want to try something new.
" :wink:

How about Melbourne ? Plenty of opportunities here.. I am surveying chicken factories here.. If succeed, another mobile Brothel coming up ! hehe..

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh no its the return of the great Australian Sandwich!!!

It was quite famous in the old forum. Its still all relative, Singapore and Australian dollars still at record highs compared to the US$ and by the end of the year the euro would be closer to parity. That means ALL of America AND Europe is just going to be a bargain for the Australians....

Think of the possibilities!

And the question remains, with the strong A$, have any of you there down under taken advantage of the situation? You are all in a position to make a killing if you know where to look.........

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Think of the possibilities!

And the question remains, with the strong A$, have any of you there down under taken advantage of the situation? You are all in a position to make a killing if you know where to look.........

What do you suggest dude? I've been trying very hard to beat the system, it seems viable to just leave and seek for greener land. Sg rejected me :-( Looks like Australia recession is unlikely.. I thought you were right, now I think otherwise hehe

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is a reason why Amazon is setting up shop in this dreadfully expensive place. Aussies are the only ones left who can afford to spend because we earn Chinese money :smile: