• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I am not happy, I wana to return to Sg :-)

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not happy, I wana to return to Sg :-)

-----------------------------------------------------
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303610504577419320948930402.html?mod=e2fb

Australia Tops OECD's Better Life Index

SYDNEY—Australia is living up to its nickname of "the lucky country," with a new survey marking it as the happiest industrialized nation in the world based on criteria such as jobs, income and health.

Having sidestepped the economic malaise gripping much of Europe and with near-full employment owing to a once-in-a-century resources boom, Australia has come out on top ahead of Norway and the U.S. in the annual Better Life Index compiled by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

Journal Community

The findings come despite fresh signs that not every Australian is enjoying the benefits of the resources boom, with tourist attractions seeing a drop in visitors and many manufacturers rethinking their Australian operations because the strong local currency has made exports uncompetitive. A rising cost of living also is weighing heavily on consumers, who are tightening their purse strings or using the Internet to hunt for bargains on items that can be purchased overseas.

The Better Life Index: The Top 10

View Slideshow

European Pressphoto Agency
Australia topped the OECD's Better Life Index if each of the 11 categories is given equal weight. See the other top 10 countries overall.

But the promise of higher living standards is drawing migrants from across the world. Davide Mazurek, 22 years old, moved from Tuscany, Italy, to Australia six months ago and is in no hurry to return. Having worked as a farmhand in Victoria state, Mr. Mazurek next plans to pitch his tent in the remote northern city of Darwin, a frontier in Australia's energy boom.

"I don't want to go back to Italy now with the euro crisis. I like Australia, it's better here, the wages are better," he said.

But he admits that he finds Australia's cost of living pricey and that is eroding his efforts to save money. "The rents are expensive," he said.

What Matters Most

View Interactive

See how countries ranked and customize the results to reflect what matters most to you.

The OECD survey—which rates its 34 member countries on categories like housing, jobs, education, health, environment and work-life balance—shies away from explicitly giving any one nation an overall top ranking, but if each of the 11 categories is given equal weight, Australia's cumulative rank rises to No. 1, according to the OECD website. It is followed closely by Norway and the U.S.

Australia's high rank—based on data from the United Nations, individual governments and other sources—is largely due to its strong economic performance despite the economic turmoil in Europe and anemic growth in the U.S.

Strong demand for iron ore and coal exports means Australia's unemployment rate was 4.9% in April, compared with 10.9% in the euro zone and 8.1% in the U.S. More than 72% of the working-age population in the country is employed, compared with the OECD average of 66%.

Unlike many of its developed peers, Australia's government plans to return to a budget surplus in the next fiscal year and forecasts its net debt to peak just below 10% of GDP, a fraction of the borrowings seen elsewhere.

The OECD Better Life Index

See the full survey results at oecd.org
The Australian dollar has recently dipped below parity against the greenback, though it remains at historically high levels and is also strong against the euro and pound, giving shoppers fire power if they travel overseas.

But there are weaknesses, too. While the index found that Australians rank their satisfaction with life at 7.4 out of 10—higher than the OECD average of 6.7—they are noticeably less bullish in their day-to-day life, with 74% reporting positive daily experiences. That's less than Americans, Irish and even Spaniards facing job insecurity due to the country's hefty debt pile.

The reasoning for that is pinned on an Australian consumer that has become overly cautious, analysts say.

"Australian consumers have been almost as gloomy as their counterparts in the U.S. and Europe, notwithstanding the gulf between Australia's economic performance and that of most other 'advanced' economies," said Saul Eslake, an economist at Merrill Lynch.

Despite a minority government that's sinking in the polls after a series of scandals involving key lawmakers and policy missteps, some 71% of Australians trust their political institutions, compared with an OECD average of 56%.

In addition, 85% of people in Australia described their health as good, well above the OECD average of 70%. The survey also found that Australian men spend nearly three hours every day cooking, cleaning or caring—one of the highest scores across the OECD's 34 member countries and ahead of men in the U.S., Germany and Canada.

Diala Ibrahim, 31, emigrated to Australia from Lebanon as a child. She and her fiancé now are mulling whether to move to London, where he is currently based, or to remain in Sydney. Her clear preference is for life Down Under because she finds the quality of living higher.

Australia's "environment is clean, there's no pollution, there's no war, there's law, there's order. You don't find that in all places," Ms. Ibrahim said.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
please return to sg. she needs highly qualified and highly paid talent like you.

Haha, Sg will throw me into the bin, I passed my expiry age liao - 41yo this yr !
Hopefully, kind soul will accept this useless quitter - Inclusive Society :-)

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
You say you are Ah Tiong, and would buy a Ferrari here and would visit many many KTVs along Bugis junction. They will let you in one lah.

Haha, Sg will throw me into the bin, I passed my expiry age liao - 41yo this yr !
Hopefully, kind soul will accept this useless quitter - Inclusive Society :-)

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
You say you are Ah Tiong, and would buy a Ferrari here and would visit many many KTVs along Bugis junction. They will let you in one lah.

Wahaha.. True ! I can drive without local license, even 'long-gar' someone will not be my fault !

I am returning Sg next week.. I will call for a AGM
meeting with the KTVs representatives ! Hehe

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can always run-road back to WA also.

Yes yes ! This is the beauty.. When troubles come, I'll run-road back to Australia. Haha.
Hmmm, this is the reason why Sg is suitable for me - allow me to run road anywhere..

Hougang for **PAP ! Huat Ah !

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can always run-road back to WA also.

WA? :eek:

We are full house already. Suddenly, so many Indian restaurants, Korean BBQ and drunk Irish, not to mention economic refugees from the "Eastern States".

Also a number of SPGs hanging outside the West Perth mining companies, and chickens walking around Domestic airport area.
We are more expensive than Sydney but without the perks!

Also, African who took my job now wave white flag. He said my job too difficult for him. But no thanks, I do not want my old job back. Senior management want that occupancy to be FULL TIME. I insist on PART TIME, never mind the PEANUTS pay :smile:
What happen if mining no more boom, I have income backup. Kaisu ex-Sinkee.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
please return to sg. she needs highly qualified and highly paid talent like you.

No kidding. Australia BESTEST EXPORT is the trade union!
US truck drivers only earn half of what the Aussie counterparts, so the union is trying to promote itself to Americans.

The next 3 years, nurses pay will go up 21% in the state of Victoria. Even higher than some miners.

Majulah Australia!

Last edited:

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Been in WA for four months and it is overrated. The weather and place is great but houses are pricey. I work for one of the biggest F N B groups in Oz.
In the longrun WA is heading the same direction as Peesai. I dont want to be in the rat race again. Probably moving to NZ soon. Everyone's moving out of NZ, which is the best time to move in.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Been in WA for four months and it is overrated. The weather and place is great but houses are pricey. I work for one of the biggest F N B groups in Oz.
In the longrun WA is heading the same direction as Peesai. I dont want to be in the rat race again. Probably moving to NZ soon. Everyone's moving out of NZ, which is the best time to move in.

chupacabra, how are you doing? I think you overrated Perth. It will never become another Peesai. Stay longer and you will know what I mean.

Hope you are looking at the right places for housing, there are pockets of opportunities but how the property works is that there are few sellers/buyers in Perth relatively to the population and these people in the housing market decide the transaction prices. There is no one market, but several markets depending on suburbs, category of buyers, etc.

Look, it took Sandgropers 100 years to sink the train lines, and will probably take another 20 years before trams run again commercially.

But then, things are indeed happening and city planners want to turn this city into a Barcelona, without the pickpockets, but with the 7th most expensive parking in the world.

I have been too laidback and comfortable here and took a while to realise how in last few years, Perth lost its townish city image and is set to become so much like Sydney without the perks. Too many strangers in town!

This is the downside of the boom. Don't like rat-race city life? Just earn your money and get out!

When I first came here, I can buy a small house for $100k. It has been fun riding the boom. Once China get into recession*, I will not be living here permanently !

* valuable "gossip" from WA Treasurer and China Office

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
...FULL TIME. I insist on PART TIME, never mind the PEANUTS pay :smile:
What happen if mining no more boom, I have income backup. Kaisu ex-Sinkee.

Yes, this is what I called enjoyment ! My wifey started 3 days work and she's enjoying it ! Too bad my company does not allow me for part time.. I have to find a new lobang offering p/t work.. I also need to relax !

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also need more time to play diablo 3 before the baby arrives.
Yes, this is what I called enjoyment ! My wifey started 3 days work and she's enjoying it ! Too bad my company does not allow me for part time.. I have to find a new lobang offering p/t work.. I also need to relax !

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also need more time to play diablo 3 before the baby arrives.

Look forward for ya parenting life ! It is fun ! I've just join forces with my eldest son (9yo) to complete a castle with cardboard, toilet roll and ice-cream sticks. He was praised by the teacher yesterday. This Friday to complete another State-of-the-Art pinball board. 100 marks again? feels like back to school !

As for my 1.5yo son, we dance on the bed every night.. my tummy is getting smaller liao . lol !

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
My wife cook all vegetarian today. My tummy getting smaller everyday. Lol, I think food here healthier and fresher thats why.

Look forward for ya parenting life ! It is fun ! I've just join forces with my eldest son (9yo) to complete a castle with cardboard, toilet roll and ice-cream sticks. He was praised by the teacher yesterday. This Friday to complete another State-of-the-Art pinball board. 100 marks again? feels like back to school !

As for my 1.5yo son, we dance on the bed every night.. my tummy is getting smaller liao . lol !

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
chupacabra, how are you doing? I think you overrated Perth. It will never become another Peesai. Stay longer and you will know what I mean.

Hope you are looking at the right places for housing, there are pockets of opportunities but how the property works is that there are few sellers/buyers in Perth relatively to the population and these people in the housing market decide the transaction prices. There is no one market, but several markets depending on suburbs, category of buyers, etc.

Look, it took Sandgropers 100 years to sink the train lines, and will probably take another 20 years before trams run again commercially.

But then, things are indeed happening and city planners want to turn this city into a Barcelona, without the pickpockets, but with the 7th most expensive parking in the world.

I have been too laidback and comfortable here and took a while to realise how in last few years, Perth lost its townish city image and is set to become so much like Sydney without the perks. Too many strangers in town!

This is the downside of the boom. Don't like rat-race city life? Just earn your money and get out!

When I first came here, I can buy a small house for $100k. It has been fun riding the boom. Once China get into recession*, I will not be living here permanently !

* valuable "gossip" from WA Treasurer and China Office

No need to stay longer here to know that its heading south. Property prices are ridiculous and it is getting overcrowded. That is wat i meant about it becoming like peesai. Ive lived in Canada before this and it wasnt as bad. Maybe due too the freezing temp in Canada. As for "pockets of opputunity in housing" Ive look around from clarkson to leederville train line and the prices almost the same. BTW i have a 1 year old wt me, so I cant just go after any property just because its cheap. Anyone wt a toddler will understand.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Life is too short to wait for things to fall in your lap. You got to grab the bulls by horns and move on.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Life is too short to wait for things to fall in your lap. You got to grab the bulls by horns and move on.

Hope you find your bull. Good luck!

No need to stay longer here to know that its heading south. Property prices are ridiculous and it is getting overcrowded. That is wat i meant about it becoming like peesai. Ive lived in Canada before this and it wasnt as bad. Maybe due too the freezing temp in Canada. As for "pockets of opputunity in housing" Ive look around from clarkson to leederville train line and the prices almost the same. BTW i have a 1 year old wt me, so I cant just go after any property just because its cheap. Anyone wt a toddler will understand.

Look I try to empathise with you.

But saying Perth is heading south is a bit strange. Perth is a rare bright spot, getting its big break. Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

From Clarkson to Leederville? You must be joking. Are you talking about rental property? Getting a 3bed 2bath 2car garage R30 zoning housing is about 1/2 million. Just that when you reached Clarkson, it is a 4bed 2bath 2car on a quarter acre land. Why do you use the train anyway, this is not Singapore.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-wa-maylands-110467461
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-clarkson-110486389

Yes, the Joondalup train line is crowded during peak hours. But I will not describe Perth city as overcrowded. Expensive yes. But do you have any idea what is the average income here?

I smell a rat. I am not convinced that you know Perth enough.

Last edited: