• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Understanding why Singaporeans accept importing cheap foreign workers policy...

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Name me countries which have any policy with regards to schemes helping almost every household have a maid at home.

I can think of two : Singapore and Hong Kong.

Other countries will reject work permits for such menial type jobs.

Malaysia also have foreign maids, Taiwan too i think..as for other Asia countries like China, Indonesia, Philippines, they hire their own country people as maids...

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously, if the government were to clamp down on hiring foreign domestic maids, we could have new businesses spring up eg household cleaning businesses which hire locals. For the matter what is so wrong with doing your own housework? Europeans do it. Canadians do it. Japanese do it. Chinese do it. Singaporeans cannot survive without maids.

As for cleaning up after cooking, yes my wife would cook and I would clean up. There are also things called dishwashers which are very common in places like Canada and USA.

It's our own home, our own family. Is it so impossible to do the household work associated with having a family and living in a home? Yes hiring a foreign worker who is highly affordable will "solve" this problem very easily. Which is probably the same way businesses owners think as well.

Someone else talked about hiring more foreign doctors to make health care more affordable. Same idea.

I have read threads that talk about the plight of engineers who have been replaced by cheaper foreign engineers. Same idea.

IT professionals replaced by cheaper foreign IT pros. Same idea.

Can you see what I am driving at?

If Singaporeans start putting their foot down and saying hey, it's my home, I want these things done by MY FAMILY MEMBERS , MY OWN PEOPLE and I will be willing to pay the price for it, either by putting in effort and time on my part or paying higher dollar for my countrymen to do it, then that would be the day we can start saying the same about jobs in Singapore too.

Think of the family at home and the work that needs to be done and who is going to do it? How?

Then think of the country and the work that needs to be done and who is going to do it? How?

I hope more can see the parallels I see. I have had this discussion with Singaporeans before. It is always a raw nerve.

Spore already have quite alot of such cleaning business, I see many young couples or family with older children hire part time cleaners, while families with younger children or elderly hire full time maids...

I think whether to hire maids or DIY housework depends whether can afford as well as how one with limited time would like to spend their time...some think that it is worth to pay others to do housework as they get more quality time to do other stuff, while others think that should ownself do the housework.

Besides the values, whether maids are necessity or luxury also depends on whether both parents work late daily (like till 10 or 11 pm), if so it is not possible to cook dinner for children and wash up after cooking, just too late and too tiring on long term basis...other factors like the age of children, the amount of family support available also very important...

It should not be a case of becos one hires foreign maids to clean housework and not DIY housework then that person's job should also be opened to foreigners...

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
the cause of the "surge" in sg has its roots in old man's visit to hk. contrary to reports that he obtained from his stooges who had pride in the sg system and liked to cast hk in a poorer light when compared to sg, his physical presence in hk plus interactions with the who's who of hk caused him to think on his feet from the info gleaned first hand. convinced that hk was doing a better job with higher density yet high productivity, his admission and later full embrace of hk caused some in the civil service to cringe, especially those who thought hk could not be compared to sg in light of the disparity in geopolitics and location. what transpired after the die was cast were new appointments, new organzations, new direction and all out embrace (plus the undesirable effect of over-reaction) by all ministries as though titanic was about to hit the iceberg and all hands were on deck. it showed sg moved like a carrier battle group ready to do battle, which was an excellent metaphor and a positive. but the over-zealousness in some organizations created an unmitigatable ripple effect over time. the idea was good, but over-zealousness in execution resulted in cracks, backdoors and loopholes. for any exploiting the relaxed system of little to no check and balance, cracks, backdoors and loopholes became floodgates, like in all firewall or intrusion protection systems. a small prick is the nemesis of a virgin bubble. can't truly blame the visionary. sg needed infusion of talent and lots of it. it's those who carried out the vision who needed to go back to school. he could have hired me, paid me peanuts, and a flawless system would be in place, and all these whining would have been unnecessary. no matter what, decades from now, sinkies will realize that the vision is excellent. it's long term gain with short term pain. :p

Not only no check and balance, perhaps the staff also had individual KPIs on how many PRs/employment pass/work permit holders to approve a day, the more they approve, the merrier...

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The way u behaved in this forum is just like a bully scolding those who have different view from you. If u want to do so, then what's the point of you scolding them then follow by an explaination?

If u think u are right, just reason it out like Fook Seng and everyone will appreciate that.

You have a problem with my style? Usually i don't follow up with explaination after i fuck people. This guy is different from other assholes like you from the way he writes and replies.

Last edited: