• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do U consider this guy FT?

Is he FT or Singaporean

• Singaporean

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • FT, he will never be Singaporean coz he was not born here

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Interesting case

Born in China

Came to SG at 6

Volunteer to serve NS

Now holds Pink IC.

Do U consider this guy local or still FT

SINGAPORE: He was then a Permanent Resident, but Mr Han Dong voluntarily signed up for National Service (NS), simply because he felt that it was the "natural thing to do".

"It wasn't because I wanted to get citizenship," the 23-year-old National University of Singapore student, who emigrated here with his parents from Hebei, China when he was six, told TODAY.

"We chose to remain as PRs during that period of time. I just didn't see myself as an immigrant because I came here a long time ago."

He obtained citizenship in 2009, while he was serving NS.

And when he was still in junior college, Mr Han got involved in grassroots work.

"It started when I was just trying to fulfil my Community Involvement Programme hours but I found the work very meaningful, and I haven't looked back since."

For instance, residents have become closer after attending activities that he and fellow grassroots leaders organised, said the vice-chair of the Sembawang Youth Executive Council and member of the Sembawang Zone 'B' Residents' Committee.

Some neighbours have even formed their own interest groups, such as in brisk walking, taichi, and soccer workshops for youths.

He added: "Personally, being involved in grassroots work also helped me relate to the Singapore identity more because I could play an active role in shaping how the community is."

Of the People's Association's 31,800 grassroots leaders, 20 per cent are new citizens and permanent residents like him.

The PA's new Integration Council, which was launched on Saturday at the Integration Carnival 2012 at the Singapore Zoo, will coordinate grassroots efforts to get new immigrants integrated with the local community.

Earlier this week, the Singapore Hua Yuan Association opened its second New Immigrant Outstanding Contribution Awards to candidates of all races, regardless of their countries of origin, to recognise their contributions to Singapore.

In addition, the association - with the Tan Kah Kee International Society and support from the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports and the National Population and Talent Division - is giving out Friends of Immigrants Awards to Singaporeans who have helped to foster social integration between locals and new immigrants.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1198103/1/.html

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
NS is a holiday camp. I'd volunteer for it too if I was in the shoes of a foreigner living in Singapore.

It would shut those fucking sinkies up once and for all about their having to "sacrifice" 2 years of their pathetic lives.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
NS is a holiday camp. I'd volunteer for it too if I was in the shoes of a foreigner living in Singapore.

It would shut those fucking sinkies up once and for all about their having to "sacrifice" 2 years of their pathetic lives.

yes , NS is holiday camp ...but singaporean dont want to spend so much time on hoilday can anot ? :wink:

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Interesting case
Born in China
Came to SG at 6
Volunteer to serve NS
Now holds Pink IC.
Do U consider this guy local or still FT

he must be able to answer the following question correctly then me will consider him a true blue Singaporean.
"what is mee siam mai hum?"

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Credit to Mr Han for doin his NS and coverting to full citizenship.. I consider him as a Sporean but too bad he belongs to the 60 % group.. Hopefully one day he'll switch over to the 40%..

lurpsexx

Alfrescian
Loyal
FT la.. confirm chop.. He join grass roots for what? Now PA grass roots already 20% of FT liao.. whats there to stop them from dominating the grass roots and RC later and then turn our precincts into Little China or India???!?! Then later he por lumpar and kena invited to tea by Papzis, and another shake and bake FT minister born????!! Just like Fool Mee Harhar and the ah neh Kk doctor??? Na be, these FT sure look long term..

All FT should be banned from all public office! :oIo:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I consider him a useful tool for the pro-PAP media to drive home the 'let's be more welcoming to foreigners' propaganda.

A useful tool, just like that Malay dude who earns $1k a month and 'bought' a flat. The propaganda for that was 'HDB flats are very affordable and anyone can buy them'.

It is extremely hilarious that everytime the govt wants to drive home a certain point, certain 'examples' or 'case studies' would uncannily pop up and be given exclusive media coverage. Yes, that is coincidence. :rolleyes:

NS does not magically turn FTs into Singaporeans, but NS is a curse of male born-and-bred Singaporeans. That's all.

B

Baluku

It is not for you to decide.

Is up to them to define.

Even if you hold a passport of a country, it doesn't mean you have to die for that country.

What about those Singaporean who Siam NS by downgrading?

Last edited by a moderator:

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
if he lived here from age 6 and did NS.... that's quite alright - I'd consider him a Singaporean.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How about this half-Jap dude? Served NS, but he is now stateless.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/The+New+Paper/Story/A1Story20101108-246249.html

Or this born-and-bred Sinkie, reformed drug junkie, who served NS but was rejected citizenship, now stateless.

http://www.singapore-window.org/sw03/031102af.htm

If you want to make a big deal out of NS and its magical powers of converting someone to Singapore citizenship, at least be consistent.

If you don't want to be consistent, then stop publishing bullshit propaganda news articles to give weight to your pro-FT agenda.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hmm Interesting results. I'd expected more pple to vote FT. Guess I over estimated the racist xenophobia levels in here.

Next question would probably be what about Zha Bors, they dont need to do NS.

How about this half-Jap dude? Served NS, but he is now stateless.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/The+New+Paper/Story/A1Story20101108-246249.html

Or this born-and-bred Sinkie, reformed drug junkie, who served NS but was rejected citizenship, now stateless.

http://www.singapore-window.org/sw03/031102af.htm

If you want to make a big deal out of NS and its magical powers of converting someone to Singapore citizenship, at least be consistent.

If you don't want to be consistent, then stop publishing bullshit propaganda news articles to give weight to your pro-FT agenda.

There was a follow up report, the Jipun kia got his Pink IC liao lah. 1st time reading the 2nd one though

Can see the case of the Half Jap here
http://forums.sgcafe.com/current-affairs/86679-ogawa-ryuju-finally-sapore-citizen.html

Last edited:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

For 2 years under PAP 24 hours beck and call until someone collapsed and died with no reason? YOu must be joking. I rather spend two years staying in resort island with good foods and get paid handsomely.

Your logic probably applied to Patrick Tan (Tony Ton's son), he spend 12 years holidaying (as NS men) before returning to Singapore.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the level of integration is just as important.
No point if an angmo lived here for 15 years but living his cocoon expat lifestyle.
That said, someone who spent his formative years or studied here helps (not international schools).....depending on the individual, at least a decade is needed to learn to integrate into sinkie culture.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No point if an angmo lived here for 15 years but living his cocoon expat lifestyle.
That said, someone who spent his formative years or studied here helps (not international schools).....depending on the individual, at least a decade is needed to learn to integrate into sinkie culture.

What about someone like Tao Li. She's been here for a decade. Think she came here 12, 13? She spent her entire youth here and studied in local schools? As a female she is not liable to serve NS so her case and this guy is slightly different

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If a person have
1. Serve NS( 100% can consider Singaporean)
2. Study here and work here more than 10 year and is pink IC. Yes is Singaporean
3. Must have convert citizen for 5 year and above. Yes consider citizen. Those just change I not consider them SG citizen.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

I spent more than half my life cocooned from heartland scum. I avoided going to pigeon holes, never attended void deck functions, never took public transport, moved exclusively in elite circles and stuck to my elite school friends as far as possible.

Does that make me any less Singaporean?

BTW what exactly is "sinkie culture"?

jw5

Loyal
he must be able to answer the following question correctly then me will consider him a true blue Singaporean.
"what is mee siam mai hum?"

If his reply is "mee siam where got put hum one?", does that mean we know who the true blue Singaporean is? :biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
If his reply is "mee siam where got put hum one?", does that mean we know who the true blue Singaporean is? :biggrin:

if his answer like that then he isn't a true blue Singaporean yet. he must qualify his answer and state that only char kuey teow and laksa both come with hum. like that then got pass. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
if his answer like that then he isn't a true blue Singaporean yet. he must qualify his answer and state that only char kuey teow and laksa both come with hum. like that then got pass. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

then what about the fellow who originally said "mee siam mai hum"?
must he go for a mandatory guided guarded tour of local hawker centres?