• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 retro (best mirrorless camera of 2012)

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Chance 2 try out de 9-18...realli damn small...neber imagine a 9mm wide angle can be tat small...impressive...no chance to compare sbs with Panny 7-14 thou...asking for SGD920...moi end up getting de m4/3 75-300mm instead...:biggrin::biggrin:

Panny 100-300 cheaper n faster on spec...but focusing speed like slightly slower...zoom ring sux big time...bery jerky...not sure izit faulty set or wat...:(

M.Zuiko%20Digital%20ED%20aa.jpg

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Chance 2 try out de 9-18...realli damn small...neber imagine a 9mm wide angle can be tat small...impressive...no chance to compare sbs with Panny 7-14 thou...asking for SGD920...moi end up getting de m4/3 75-300mm instead...:biggrin::biggrin:

I tried both the Zuiko 9~18mm and the Panasonic 7~14mm and I prefer the Panasonic. Less chromatic aberration.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SBS comparison...how's de wt/size diff? Btn 75-300 and 100-300...doesn't seem alot btn em on paper...but Panny 100-700 certainly feel alot heavier when mounted on cam...no chance to do a sbs btn 7-14 and 9-18 thou...de 7-14 ish about SGD500 more then Olympus...

5629940531_df92e6223f.jpg

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
3yrs neber touch moi dslr...hand shaking like a vibrator...moi surprise de shot still cum out not too bad...haizz...

FL 300mm, ISO800, F6.7, 1/250 sec...

P5130034.JPG

FL 75mm, ISO200, F5.6, 1/200 sec...

P5130044.JPG

Attachments

• P5130017.JPG
    P5130017.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 265

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The colours of Autumn.....

Attachments

• trendsP5290515.jpg
    trendsP5290515.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 281

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nice yellow leaves. Keep it coming, the only thing i do not like about M5 is the noise in the sky.

I cannot decide which small camera to get, x-pro 1 or M5 or nex 7. Headache.
nex 7 have the best quality with good light. Nice tilt screen for stealth shooting. small and slim package.
M5 have the best IS, small, again nice tilt screen for stealth shooting.
x-pro1, with low light, it will kill most camera in the world, no IS, huge, expensive with capital E. Lack of lenses.

Sam, can you download the full size jpeg files of x-pro 1 and have a look, compare it with the photo of your camera, is it worth the price?
http://narod.ru/disk/48777918001.845eb5e5aebb97d29d0f9be0883f9dd7/X-Pro1_JPEGs.zip.html

Here is the link, but be warned, there are nudity in it, so if you are not above 18 or live in singapore, do not download it.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Nice yellow leaves. Keep it coming, the only thing i do not like about M5 is the noise in the sky.

I cannot decide which small camera to get, x-pro 1 or M5 or nex 7. Headache.

If you want image quality, the xpro 1 is superior. I got the OM-D for street photography and it does a great job because it is compact, quiet and the LCD swivel screen which can be used to trigger the shutter is perfect for this purpose. The auto focus is lightning fast and it will focus on the part of the screen which is touched just like the PEN series.

For image quality I'll stick to my medium format Phase One IQ160 back.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I got the OM-D for street photography and it does a great job because it is compact, quiet and the LCD swivel screen which can be used to trigger the shutter is perfect for this purpose. The auto focus is lightning fast and it will focus on the part of the screen which is touched just like the PEN series.

I like the shooting with tilt screen and fast focus too.
As for x-pro 1, if i buy a low end APS-C DSLR and prime, i pay fraction of the price of x-pro 1.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus_om_d_e_m5_review.shtml

The bottom line on the Olympus OM-D E-M5 (other than its convoluted name) is that it's the best Micro Four Thirds cameras yet, and highly competitive with the current mirrorless segment market leader, the Sony NEX-7. Panasonic will undoubtedly have a strong response product later this year, but they'll have to really up their game if they're going to compete with Olympus in terms of features and functions. No doubt the next Pany will have killer video capability (which is not the O-MD's strong suite), but right now when it comes to fit, finish, features, ruggedness, and all-around camera goodness the O-MD will be a tough act to follow.

The inevitable question will be – "Which is better, the NEX-7 or the OM-D E-M5"? I used the Sony NEX-7 for five months while I was in Mexico last winter, and shot some 6,000 frames with it, so I'm pretty familiar with both its strengths and weakness. I'm still very much familiarizing myself with the new Oly. But after a few weeks and some hundreds of frames I have a pretty good sense of what it can and can't do well, and the "can't" list is very short indeed.

At this point I'd judge there to be little to choose between them in terms of image quality. At 24MP and with an APS-C sized sensor the Sony has an edge in terms of file size, resolution, and shallow DOF. But unless strong cropping or very large prints are the order of the day this isn't an overwhelming advantage. When it comes to overall image quality the O-MD offers very good dynamic range and highly accurate color. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison (my NEX-7 is in for repairs) but based on experience, when it comes to high ISO noise performance these two cameras are very close.

In the end choosing one camera over the other should come down to an individual's personal preferences, and the availability of needed lenses. Right now the MFT camp does have more high quality fast primes than does Sony, something that I value. And, if you add the Olympus Four Thirds lens line, there's no contest in terms of range and quality.

The O-MD is a more traditional design, and offers a very high degree of customizability. The Sony's design is one that eschews the past, sometimes to the good, and sometimes not. This is going to very much be a matter of personal preference, and I would urge you to visit a local retailer and compare the two in-hand. (And while you're there, purchase from that dealer. If you comparison shop locally and then buy on-line all you're doing is hastening the end of the local retail store. Not something to be wished for).

When it comes to lenses the Olympus has a clear edge, being able to call upon not only its own range of MFT lenses, but also Panasonic's. And of course there are all those terrific Olympus high grade Four Thirds lenses as well. With third party and legacy lenses the NEX-7 offers focus peaking, but the O-MD has in-body stabilization, which I regard as a trump card for those interested in working with non-Olympus glass. A stabilized Leica 135mm f/4 APO-Telyt M on the O-MD is something to be experienced.

The only area where the OM-D (and all MFT cameras for the matter) offer any disappointment is their restricted ability to create shallow DOF images, particularly as compared to full frame. APS-C suffers a one EV disadvantage in this regard and MFT two stops. Your call as to how important, or not, this may be for the type of shooting that you do. In this respect I don't regard the 1EV disadvantage of MFT over APS-C to be that significant. Against full frame it's another issue. But the penalty that even the smallest full frame camera extracts in terms of body and lenses size and weight is not to be denied either.

Simply put, the Olympus O-MD E-M5 is a winner, and has now become my preferred camera for travel and urban walk-around shooting. The Nikon D800/e is still my main squeeze – an awesome camera in almost every respect – but, for its price and size it's hard to top the new O-MD.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Olympus has acknowledged the banding that can appear in high ISO OM-D E-M5 images shot with the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 lens and says it is working on a fix. In the meantime, the only solution is to avoid high ISO settings when using that lens, for now. It says that it has tried 'every possible combination of body and lens,' and has not found the problem with other lenses.

Olympus statement:

'After checking every possible combination of a body and a lens, we found the phenomena only with this combination (OM-D, E-M5 coupled with the Panasonic 20mm pancake lens). We are continuing to study how we can eliminate this and we recommend for our customers using E-M5 with Panasonic 20mm pancake lens to keep a low ISO to avoid this problem for the time being.'